the NEW Sequential Pro One has arrived

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

wavelength

Post by wavelength »

On 2003-07-20 22:44, medway wrote:
seems like an obvious oversight by arturia then.
seems a very strange oversight, indeed. i have not tried the Arturia, myself, so i cannot comment on its specifics.

the way things are done in my synths are that the amp envelope is gated and retriggered, as the oscillators are allowed to cycle continuously. seems a rather standard thing to do in a synth.

i actually can't believe that this isn't the way the Arturia functions, with all the good press it is getting. one can actually hear the oscillators restarting? weird.

is it not possible to patch an oscillator into an output, bypassing an amp envelope, to hear the oscillator without it being triggered by a keyboard? again, this would be a standard possibility.

-stephen

http://www.track0.com/wavelength/
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

i got the MMV info from the SOS July review so i would go out on a limb and say it's correct. As well as the resetting waveform cycle they also mention the lack of correct self-oscillation and the envelopes resetting as the main authenticity issues. i don't think MMV is bad, but it's not quite there yet. The only reason i can think that the waveforms reset is that they are samples rather than being modelled - again modelling would be better as you could have continous cycles - you don't get those changing phase positions of detuned oscillators. If they are modelled then surely a basic mistake by the developers (maybe it keeps the CPU load down).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Arkadin on 2003-08-19 12:26 ]</font>
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Hello.

As far as I can remember this is the first time I'm writing here. Nevertheless I think I can answer some of the previous questions.

One of the main reasons why there is a new version of the Pro One is Noah. The Noah Pro One and the SFP Version are preset compatible.

The reason why the step sequencer was exchanged is that the old step sequencer won't run on Noah and that it takes too much performance. Therefore we now have the original sequencer plus more voices, I think that's a good trade off.

Since we had more then one Pro One in our Labs here, we were able to double check all the settings. This is what has change under the skin:

-Oscilator levels are now just like the oiginal. This is very important, the oscilator levels are not just mixed, they change while switching through the combinations. One has moer loudness with this and the filter is also driven differently and therefore deliver more sound.

-LFO waveform levels were also adjusted to deliver the very special modulation waveforms the orginal had when the waveforms where mixed. The LFO is now MIDI syncable.

-All potis behave just like the original now, especially important with the ADSRs.

-Modulation levels and directions in the modulation matrix are now set up to behave like the original.

-different keyboard modes are now fully working.

All this was possible through what we've learned with Minimax btw. And I think there are mainly benefits from the changes, so it justifies an update. I'm sorry that I have no details on update procedure and prices at the moment, but as soon as I know them I will let you all know.

Best,

Matthias Klag/
Creamware
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

Thanks for that info Matthias, it's much appreciated.
One question: if you "upgrade" to the new pro one will you still be able to use the old (zarg) version as well?
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Yes, you can. I think anything else wouldn't make sense, since old projects must still be loadable. Therefore the old device is needed.

Best,

Matthias Klag/
Creamware
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

So there you go synth guys. Hurry up and get a true vintage synth in limited edition (the "old" Zarg model). It may be a cult thing one day. "Selling original Zarg Pro One with step sequencer" :wink:
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Just got the Pro One offer via email. Unfortunately it'll cost €149 for me as i have Pro One SOLO so i don't think i'll be rushing for this. Offer only valid till the end of August (upgrade is €99 for Pro One users).

Also as a Mac user i can't try the demo so i can't even compare them to see if i'd want to upgrade. i'm a bit tired of having to buy everything from the CW shop 'blind'. i have to rely on the opinions of people here (which is luckily good advice). So far far i've bought MiniMax , OptiMaster and B-2003 based on what people here have said about them and intend to buy Vinco next. i have never been able to try any of these out, so expecting me to shell out €149 for something i've already got which may or may not be slightly or wholly improved is a bit much frankly.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Arkadin on 2003-07-22 09:55 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

That sucks. I'm not a mac guy myself but there should be demo's availalble for mac as well! What's the story on this CW? I thought mac demo's were supposed to get sorted long ago? (sorry for changing the topic here)
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Hello Mr.Arkadin.

Sorry for the lack of Mac Demos. The only straight tip I have for you is to listen to the sound examples on our webpage. This time they are really worth to listen to.

Here's how they were done. Except for the drums all sounds come from the new Pro One alone. No other effects than the ones that are built into the device were used and what is more no EQs were used! The demos were done on a Pulsar II with very few tracks bounced to disk, since the new Pro One is leaner on DSP usage. There are over 180 new presets provided with the device, most of the demos use these sounds.

I hope this gives you a little bit more at hand to revaluate.

Best,

Matthias Klag/
Creamware
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

yeah, well we can read that on the webpage as well. It doesn't really answer the question about why there are no mac demo's though.
The mp3's sound nice but I wouldn't easily buy an instrument just on the basis of an mp3 demo. I mean, if you buy a hardware instrument you usually have the chance to try it out in the shop before you buy it. And even then you can usually take it back if you don't like it after all. You can't do this with software so I feel the least a developer can do is provide proper demo's for it's customers.
I'm just saying this as constructive criticism! I'd think more mac people would buy CW stuff if there were demo's available which means more money for CW (and more stuff for us) :grin:
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

You are right of course,it was an attempt to give some quick help. But a little bit of additional infos cannot hurt I thought.

Cheers,

Matthias/
Creamware
hubird

Post by hubird »

On 2003-07-22 09:43, hubird wrote:
obviously my reply was concerning Immanuel's post, not Arcadin's who came faster :smile:
Tho I subscribe the call of Immanuel for a equal treatment of Mac users from CW!
(do I have to mention the lack of XTC mode on Mac?).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2003-07-22 20:10 ]</font>
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

hubird, i realised that you weren't laughing me :wink:

King of Snake: exactly the points i was going to make. i can't even get mp3s to play properly through my CW card anyway due to an old bug, so i have to use my crappy Mac speaker - you can't really judge anything from that.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Okay, here's how you get the PC demos to work on your Macintosh.

Any .oxe file can be opened up in Scope if you place the .oxe file in the Scope folder and then start up the Scope app. To make sure all the files are opened right I like to create a folder called, not surprisingly, Oxe, in the App(s) folder in the Scope SFP Main Folder.

You can put the DemoRequest.oxe there and you will be able to get the little window that gives you your string of numbers. You can't copy and paste to a word processing application because that function is unavailable on Macintosh so you'll have to copy it out by hand.

Then you can simply get the Demo.oxe file from Creamware and then place it in the same Oxe folder (I don't know if you actually have to call it that, or place it exactly in the App(s) folder, but I'm playing it safe). Start up your Scope. Then quit. Then restart it and you will have a Whatever.oxe instrument in your Plug-ins folder and you will get a whole hour with which to play with it.

I tried the Six String Demo last night and it made me think I should really just trash every single Guitar sample on my hard drive and never use anything else. But I'm not a guitarist, so I'm not really picky.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Blimey that actually worked (just tried PsyQ). This is the only way to demo. i'd never even thought of trying it. Why does it say PC only on the CW page? One hour is a bit stingey though.

Thanks for the tip Gregory.

Mr Arkadin.
hubird

Post by hubird »

gregory you deserve a statue!
Why doesn't CW explain this on their site, the programmers (some at least) must know this!
Matthias, you could feedback this... :wink:
garyb

Post by garyb »

it seems like i saw this on the old cw forum ages ago..............glad it works...
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Honestly I didn't know it, but at least anyone can test now. We'll check if this could be a standard solution or if it could be simplified.

Best,

Matthias Klag/
Creamware
valis

Post by valis »

Someone should topic this in one of the technical or discussion areas so more mac users learn about being able to demo...