some background on our chap11 status

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Grok

Post by Grok »

Thanks a lot for your input, Frank, it is very welcome! All that you write in this post and others ( http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... forum=5&66 ) are good signals for all of us I think and I'm glad (we're glad, I assume!) you've done it.

I feel that the intellectual exchanges we see on these topics are very positive for the company and its users, clarifying some points and putting in the light your thinking on some interrogations. It's really cool.

Thanks again!

Best Regards,
Grok
Toujours l'Amour!
thorkell

Post by thorkell »

Nice to hear from the CW core! The future is bright!
The Z Station

Post by The Z Station »

Thanks much, Frank!

Ever since tripleDAT, I've always known that CW will live on.
From time-to-time, things at CW appear to slow down. Naturally, Creamwarian's reaction would be as such especially without the knowledge of what truly is in the CW underground.
I never lost hope, but sometimes, I can't help but wonder. Thanks for personally giving us the scoop and assurance.
Long live CreamW@re!

Fidelity is truly @ Work!
The world is listening...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Z Station on 2003-06-16 20:53 ]</font>
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Just a reminder, when you register in the planetz forums, you must confirm your email address before posting. Frank registered with his real email address: fh@creamware.de - no one could've registered from there and confirmed it, but Frank himself.

Frank is really Frank! Jan is really Jan. I'm really me. Ok, let's move on! :smile:

-John
MarcelG

Post by MarcelG »

Hi all,

I know I have been bitchin a lot on CW. But what's fair is fair. 2 THUMBS UP!!! for this open communication!!

Hope to see more of this type of transparency in the (hopefully great) CW future.

Much love!

M.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

John Cooper,
Could you please privately contact MarcelG as somebody is very obviously posing as him here in this forum and posting upbeat comments (dead giveaway) :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Arkadin on 2003-06-16 18:28 ]</font>
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

I am actually not who I seem to be...

:grin:
caleb

Post by caleb »

Thanks Frank for your posting.

I was actually aware of some of your broadcasting adventures with CUTmaster.

However, it was nice to hear of the full extent of your tentacles.

To tell you the truth I hadn't thought of the whole panic/crash scenario that is possible in this situation. The best way to kill a company is to start a rumour these days.

I have no intention of selling of my Creamware equipment.

Looking forward to Flexor and I may purchase Vinco as well.

Onward and upward....
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
mydaycomes

Post by mydaycomes »

Frank,

Just wanted to say "thanks" for taking the time to clarify the situation. Speaking for myself, I will continue to support CW for as long as they are able to maintain the standards that we have all had the fortune to enjoy. :smile:
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

hi

now we are all satisfied

but

when the new sfp 3.2 or 4.0?

:grin: :grin: :grin:
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

and the new cards? :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King of Snake on 2003-06-17 15:05 ]</font>
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

and a new tripleDAT?
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Oh man, hove about people gave them some peace. No matter how much they supply us with, people will still cry for more - and ofcoarse it is best, if they do it all simultaneously and in less than a week ...

They have realy released a lot of new stuff durring the past short time. I think they are doing great, but they shure are mett with a lot of "we want more" requests. I do see, that it in a way is a compliment - on the other hand it will never be enough. If they once in a while feel satisfied, they will shure not keep that feeling for long, before they get "when is this out" When is that out".
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
Grok

Post by Grok »

Immanuel, I like you because you're a Creamwarian and a Samplituder like me :wink:

Of course, I like also others people :lol:
Toujours l'Amour!
The Z Station

Post by The Z Station »

On 2003-06-17 15:21, krizrox wrote:
and a new tripleDAT?
Here here! I second "DAT!" :wink:

No worries, I know it's coming, CreamW@re ain't goin' nowhere!
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

On 2003-06-17 15:28, Immanuel wrote:
Oh man, hove about people gave them some peace. No matter how much they supply us with, people will still cry for more - and ofcoarse it is best, if they do it all simultaneously and in less than a week ...

They have realy released a lot of new stuff durring the past short time. I think they are doing great, but they shure are mett with a lot of "we want more" requests. I do see, that it in a way is a compliment - on the other hand it will never be enough. If they once in a while feel satisfied, they will shure not keep that feeling for long, before they get "when is this out" When is that out".
come on, I was just teasing! (notice the :smile:)
I am actually VERY satisfied with Creamware so far and do not expect them to release everything all at once. Great products take time to develop.
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

On 2003-06-18 11:26, King of Snake wrote:
Great products take time to develop.

[/quote]

...and learn! I can't count how many times I looked over synths like Inferno as I thought it was just wasn't capable of making interesting sounds. But once I made a concerted effort to really start orchestrating/automating as many aspects of each synth, as opposed to orchestrating multiple synths on top of each other (crediting Boards Of Canada with that decision), I found that tones which I thought perhaps dull or static to really come to life.

I think there's a perception that VST's can sound just as good (which in my mind is only close to being true, depending on the synth--and there are many good ones, before people start flaming). But I've found that most VST synths and FX, as they are bound to the CPU rely on a much narrower range of frequencies for their 'sparkle'.

And once mastered, these songs can sound fairly dull and undynamic as they lack clarity or fullness in the opposing ends of the frequency spectrum, leaving all their sonic character to come from the same basic range of upper mids.

The music industry has really started to cater to this instant gratification mode which, when adopted, changes how people view their gear. After two years of owning my 9 DSPs, I've found that everytime I wanted to do something new, my first response was to go try and FIND something new, only to become discouraged, uninspired, and non-productive.

And it's always at this time that I go look through the CW manual, or some feature I've never used before when I discover that I could do exactly (or at least mostly) what I had wanted to originally do, but by using my CW system (though more SHARCS would always be nice!), by leveraging some previously unexplored (or explored enough) device.

I think where people view programs like Reason as a sort of school to learn all the major functions of a studio and the composition process at their own pace, there is a lack of perception that CW has offered a university which also offers a master's degree and PhD in whatever direction one wishes to pursue a career with music, whenever a person is ready for it. However Reason is tightly packed into a closed system, so while there may be less overall depth (though there's plenty for sure) it's all right there in front of you, using the same format consistently across every synth, effect, and feature.

This is all to say that I think the Creamware system can only be as powerful as the person at it's helm (assuming it's running on a properly configured computer) and that many of the naysayers either come to the platform with too little fore-knowledge of studio tools and the interplay between them, and/or too little patience to explore.

Having said all of this, if I could make a suggestion (please file under constructive criticism and not "do this too dammit!" but a little more documentation on how synthesis works (as it pertains to individual synths) so that people get more of a 'how certain knobs affect the sound' as opposed to "Seq Decay: Sets the intensity of the sequencer over the Decay time modulation" which isn't very infomative if your coming to it with little background or understanding.

I know there's tons of information out there already, but it's either very general or too specific, and most people won't want to start a research project sifting through all that stuff to learn how to use a modulation matrix in Prisma (myself included) or learn how to get good sounds out of Vocoder III. People will be more inclined to buy Vokator instead.

Being able to walk through synths like Ambient, Prisma, Vectron, Gemini, Saturn, or whatever else with a starters guide of some kind would really make the world of SFP more available to people who come to it from the cold and harsh sonic wasteland of native CPU processing. :smile:

Because it's already been stated that Creamware and it's assorted developers have their hands full, perhaps this might be something we at the Z can try and put together (or at least cull some info in one place so as to be elaborated on by the CW folks) for release with new cards, or like a registration bonus or something. That way there's a little hand-holding for the noobs as they peel the first couple of layers off this huge onion.

If nothing else I think this might kickstart the Pulsar study forum as there might be some goal posts for us to aim for. Maybe in the future, we can try and coordinate with the designers of some of the synths, have them give a couple of us (who get the most involved in such projects) a crash course in how their synths work, show us how they put it together and be available for answering questions as we write tutorials for them.

That way the walkthrough's get written BY people who are using the synths FOR people who will be using them, and it would alleviate the strain on the developers to come up with a how-to's, so they can work on more devices. I know John Bowen often laments that he never has enough time to write proper manuals!

The tutorials could continually be expanded into new editions as new ideas pour in; using either a digital PDF, or a binder-format paper version (or just make people print their own binder version).

Having access to such tutorials, would help people leverage the time limits on the demo devices with a greater ease, and give people more confidence in purchasing new devices.

Besides, I think it's a common thing for an invention to be used in ways totally unintended by the inventor, and fresh minds would invariably come up with new and exciting ways of using these tools. Anyway, I apologize for going on so long on this, but I see great potential for us to directly influence how these systems grow and I'm excited about it. And while I think the Z has done this sort of thing in a few ways, it has never culminated into any final product or publication that could be useful for people here, at the new Creamware Forum, or for noobs who are DLing their allkeys.skf for the first time.

Since I brought it up, I'll start, perhaps, with a section on the SB404 (at least given what I know about it) as I've been having fun with it lately. My question is this, how does one take screen captures and post pictures here? It's something that's always eluded me.

Does this sound like something people would be interested in doing? Or am I just huffing gas over here (figuratively speaking of course)?

Sam
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Very interested :smile:
I am still walking blind, when I see a synthesizer. Ok, I never took the time to get past that point, but every time I open a synth, I always end up scanning thru the presets. I actually made one preset yesterday. I am actually be for a more acoustic (in this perspective I will include electrified guitar) kind of musician, but I think there is a lot of potential waiting in these synths. I just happen to always spend my time learning something wich is closer to me already - or scanning thru presets.

You made a long post but I liked it :smile:
at0m

Post by at0m »

hoi sam, nice post!

For screenshots:
  • press Print Screen
  • open photo editor and make new document
  • paste and the screenshot should appear in the document
  • save as jpg, try to make it a small file size as it's for the web
  • attach it to the Study forum post. For forums that don't support attachments: upload it somewhere and use BBcode [*img]http://(location)/file.jpg[/*img] in the post, without the *
ps: your email adress here returns a 'user unknown' error
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

On 2003-06-18 14:45, Immanuel wrote:
I actually made one preset yesterday. I am actually be for a more acoustic (in this perspective I will include electrified guitar) kind of musician, but I think there is a lot of potential waiting in these synths. I just happen to always spend my time learning something wich is closer to me already - or scanning thru presets.
Which is why I think having several hands in it would be interesting. While I think there would be less cohesivness initially as topical segments came in, there would be a set of ideas available to people who view the creative process in a different way than other people. Personally, I tend to hybridize Rock and Electronic. I enjoy as much Radiohead, Pink Floys, The Verve, and Bjork as I do Boards of Canada, Autechre, Underworld, Orbital, and the Orb (or other like comparisons. I think that the future in music will be more of a fusion of these genres than further progress in either one. I think the more recent radiohead, Massive Attack, etc. has proven that electronic has entered comforably into the pop world, though people still want some kind of a hook, progression, and lyrics which tell a story (however basic). The problem that this leaves the creators of compositional and recording tools designers is that this fusion requires a bit of rethinking as to how the tools from each genre play with each other. And THAT isn't really being discussed much, because the people who are out there doing it tend to not sit around writing manuals for people. But I think that can change when there's a community doing it for their survival as a community.

Anyway, I'll try and get a section hammered out by this weekend. If someone could help me with screen capturing and image posting I'd appreciate it.

Sam