New Amp modeller

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

...looking forward to it :smile:
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Yeah...this device looks really cool, and it'd be great if they could get all the bugs worked out (at least most of them!). I'm not a guitarist, but of course guitar amps can also be used on synths as well. If they put up a functioning demo I'd love to check it out and perhaps buy it. :smile:

Shayne
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Sorry for the delay. It's been difficult to sit down and play with this new device due to other more pressing matters in my life. As time permits, I will be experimenting more but I wanted to kind of cap this off with a final word on the subject.

UnitX finally sent me an updated version of the Amper with all the presets pre-loaded. The unit installed perfectly and now works as expected. I noted a small bug but nothing even worth mentioning here. I'm sure they'll get it straightened out soon. Still no user docs but hopefully that will be forthcoming also.

I did plug in my guitar and play around the device for a few minutes. Clearly, there is a gold mine of tones to be had here. I would say this device picks up where Celmo's Amp Simulator leaves off. If you're looking for those molten saturated types of guitar tones, you'll find them here in heaping quantities. It's pretty cool that they give you the ability to dial in some nice effects settings. You can even load your own effects into the effects loop. The effects settings can be saved as separate presets which is also pretty cool.

Instead of trying to describe every possible tone combination (seems unlimited to me), I suggest you just go to their website and listen to some of the samples they have posted. There are many to choose from and I think they should give you a pretty good idea of the range of sounds available.

I think they did a great job on the graphical interface - one of the nicest jobs I've seen to date. Clearly, these guys are serious about making quality devices. The initial hiccups I reported earlier I attribute to growing pains. I'm sure as time goes by, they will turn out to be a worthy contender in the SFP device market.

Is the device worth $100? Now that I can see everything working properly, I say yes. I'll be using this device for some upcoming projects. It will definitely make a nice addition to my sonic toolbox.

Buy with confidence and have fun with it!
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

So they fixed the previously reported problems?

Shayne
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

cool, i think i'm gonna buy this. Thx krisrox
jeezs

Post by jeezs »

Hi all

We are happy to announce there is a demo version of Amper available on our site at
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rush/unitx/Product.html

A documentation will also be post soon.

Jean-Eric
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

So there you go. You have no reason not to check it out now. I think you all will be very impressed with the tonal flavors and overall quality of the Amper. And these guys seem eager to make good and to be good CW citizens. I really do think we'll be seeing some cool stuff from these guys in the future. They are very deserving of our support!

If you listen carefully, you will see this device was designed to appeal to a wide audience but I really think it does a bang-up job on the high gain settings. That's where I was having the most fun :smile: This is probably a device that is long overdue for SFP guitarists in general.

This isn't something you can sit down with and master in 5 minutes (true with a lot of devices, though). There are so many ways to tweak this thing, you could be playing with it for hours and still never get past all the possible combinations.

I'll tell ya how I'll be employing this device: as a safety net for client/guitarists that record in my studio. What I mean is this... I will be recording both a wet track and a dry track. If the wet track (the guitarists' own amp settings and effects) doesn't sound right, I'll run the dry track through the Amper and produce the correct tone for the mix. I can do the same thing with my Line 6 Pod Pro but now I don't have to leave SFP to do that. This thing is about as close to the Line 6 Pod as you can get.

Again - have fun with it!
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

AWESOME!!! It's extremely fun to play with. My only complaint is that the demo pings are WAY too loud -- to get the instrument to be loud enough against them results in horrible clipping, so I had to play it rather softly and have these horrible pings sticking into my ears. Is there any way you could turn the pings down and rerelease the demo?

Other than that, it works great! This is a very nice addition to the Scope family of plugins. :grin:

Shayne
brain1

Post by brain1 »

Amper Rulez! :smile: :smile:
astroman

Post by astroman »

good job, UnitX :smile:
you can send about anything with attack and release through it and it comes out as an electric guitar guitar.
In lack of a real one I had to use a DX7 :lol:
As an fx device it's useable for anyone, even great for dirty verbs as a complement to CW's Masterverb.
Worth checking, but the demo pling should indeed be tuned down, it's ringing ears nearly at pain level.
Can't buy via Kagi though :sad: would you mind to consider ShareIt for non credit card owners ?

cheers, Tom
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Question about the Amper. I've got it running well on the Macintosh side. I have a question about the gate. Whenever my guitar level goes down below the gate threshold there's a certain uneven graininess in the way the sound decays. I've never owned a real Guitar amp and all the related guitar boxes, only generic effects boxes. Is this a natural way the gate sounds or does it need to be fixed to get a smoother sound?
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

On 2003-04-04 22:10, astroman wrote:
good job, UnitX :smile:
you can send about anything with attack and release through it and it comes out as an electric guitar guitar.
In lack of a real one I had to use a DX7 :lol:
As an fx device it's useable for anyone, even great for dirty verbs as a complement to CW's Masterverb.
Worth checking, but the demo pling should indeed be tuned down, it's ringing ears nearly at pain level.
Can't buy via Kagi though :sad: would you mind to consider ShareIt for non credit card owners ?

cheers, Tom
Not only that, but I ran the lead out to my little half-tube amp and I think the speakers started making a diffused thud sound everytime the ping came through, knocking everything at its frequency range out of the way. I think just in the name of speaker and ear damage, that ping needs to come down a touch, and the frequency of said ping should lower a bit so as to keep all the dogs in my apartment building from howling. (there were complaints - though that's not unusual :razz:)

Thus far a good plug though. My only thought, which was sort of mentioned already, is that an adjustable gate decay would be tops. The high-noise aspects of amps just drop off in an unnatural way. Toss a reverb into it and the verb cuts off with it. That's the only thing between me and -$100 at the moment.

Sam
Sam
caleb

Post by caleb »

I'm not a guitar player but I did buy SixString. Do you think Ampere would be a necessary addition? I've got Celmo's free BluesMan and the effects/amp on SixString, but I'd guessing Ampere is on a totally different level.

Oh maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to support this guy because I want another developer for the platform. *sigh*
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
zenda

Post by zenda »

Hi

I was active around here a few months ago when i was checking out Celmo's Guitar Amp Modeller.

I repeat the thanks I gave for the help that people made that enabled me to decide to buy it.

I have been very satisfied with it and look forward to the updates.

When I heard about this Amper ... three days ago, I got the demo and have read through this thread.

i decided to give it a good try out. I did NOT expect to be working with it for about 8 hours non-stop.

My ears were nearly bleeding due to the 'This is a Demo' sound effect. Celmo's 'demo' interrupt is just as effective but less painful.

8 hours? Because the sounds were well worth it. I spent most of the day tweaking and testing how responsive the modelling is to variations in my playing style.

There were plenty of distorted tones which could be obtained without going into the world of very loud background noise.

The noisegate was effective, though I concur with earlier expressed concerns that it cuts off the Reverb. Not a nice thing.

Personally, i choose to do my own noise-stripping after I have recorded anyway, so it was not a big matter to me. And as I said ... I could get all the saturation and sustain I needed without getting to loud huming.

BTW .... I was checking this out with my guitar at about 5 feet away from my 21 inch CRT monitor.

The clean tones had a depth to them .... before celmo, I was using the Digitech RPZ 8 .... it had a real tube and in the midst of clean tones, was able to get some of that saturation of valve. This Amper sure has that .... I was working with a clean tone i tweaked based on the rectifier amp model, and I was getting Clean AND Full .... NB ... I was not using the compressor to get fullness as the note travelled through its lifespan. It just kept the fullness.

I am using a Powersampler ... three chips ...

.... and the Amper continually gave me various warning messages about running out of DSP Power. Quite often I was clicking and hoping for the best. Typically, it wouled warn ... but then just get on with the job of delivering the goods. i actually found it to be very stable. However ... suppose I had most of the modules working ... then say i decided to add some Chorus, then I'd get the warning message, and would have to switch something else off and then on again. That would usually sort it.

I mention this because I am running the demo on ... well ... MINIMUM Creamware specs .... nothing else running except the default Mixer. And was getting stable and coherent service from it. Dsps were being run to their fullest ... but the thing was WORKING.

Believe you me ... I'm going to hafve no hesitation in buying the full version .. just a matter of when I can afford it.

I have Full respect for Celmo's device.

Amper has, indeed pushed the envelope IMO quite a lot further.
I think I'll also mention that the demos that the Amper makers have provided have not represented the product to its best. However, I think they really did well to put the original unmodified guitar sound for comparison.

I'll probably be back a few times in the next week or so, because i'm on a steep learning curve with this Amp Modeller ... As I read this thread, i realised it got off to a shakey start, and given that i have come in at a relatively late stage, I want to share my findings for a while. I truely believe it is well past its teething troubles and am looking forward to hurting my ears with that damn demo reminder until I can afford to actually buy it:)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zenda on 2003-04-13 20:05 ]</font>
acabreira

Post by acabreira »

How much DSP does it consume?
A. Cabreira
acabreira

Post by acabreira »

Sorry, the last post of mine was due to lack of attention in how many pages this topic had - I posted this right after reading the first page! The last post basically solves my question. Thanks.

Ah, and I´m just asking cause I haven´t got my Luna yet, it´ll only be here next month!
A. Cabreira
jeezs

Post by jeezs »

Hello,

We are about to release a new version of Amper.
though it would be only small enhancement.
we've had a decay to gate, the new demo will also have a less annoying Ping.
"Amper editor" the Big version of Amper that allow users to models their own aplifier will be available soon, as well as a collection of small distortions that can be used in Amper or any devices that has an insert slot.
We have at least an enhanced version of Amper with a 3 band compressor inside.

This enhanced version as well as the update will be free to all Amper owners.
The collection of Disto will also be free to all user registered before the end of the month.
The price of Amper editor has not been fixed yet.

And finally we have finished the VLPad, we are now making preset and docs for it (it may take a few weeks)

Regards

Jean-Eric
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Good news Jean-Eric. Hope you are selling lots of these things.

I'm still confused on how the updated devices will be distributed to registered owners. Will you be posting the updates on your website or emailing them directly as before?
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

A few questions about the upcoming versions:

Will there be an upgrade path to the Editor version for those who already have the basic Amper?

Do you plan on adding some bass cabinet and amp models to the available presets?

RedSun .:.
jeezs

Post by jeezs »

<Will there be an upgrade path to the Editor version <for those who already have the basic Amper?

Yes

<Do you plan on adding some bass cabinet and amp <models to the available presets?

We are already working on new models including bass Amp.