Keep PlanetZ Alive, make a donation

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Grok

Post by Grok »

Hi John!

How much is the cost of the maintenance of this site?

A suggestion would be to show somewhere in this site how much is this cost, and how much is the part of actual donations to cover it?

If transparency is visible on this topic, could everyone assume his responsibilities?

Thank you for this site and its very fine topics, people of quality and knowledges of quality in this place, you made a great work!
Toujours l'Amour!
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

On 2002-08-19 10:38, Immanuel wrote:

For now I will do nothing but wait for my next note from the bank - If my 10$ where drewn fine. I hope YOU got them then John (because I can not keep an over view of the situation anymore). If only my "membership" where drewn, I shurely hope to get my 4-digit member number. Or else I will be a real pain in the EXIT to the Pay Pall service people.
Hi Immanuel,
I'm sorry PayPal is so difficult!! I didn't realize that they made you run in such circles, just to make a credit card payment!! Feel free to cancel your Paypal payment, if it's easier for you. I haven't received any payment yet. (And they shouldn't have charged you anything yet, except maybe a few cents for initial card verifications).

-John
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

On 2002-08-19 20:26, Grok wrote:

How much is the cost of the maintenance of this site?
Well there are the tangibles (ISP fees, net connection, PC/server costs), and the intangibles (time spent developing and maintaining the forum software, and moderating). I don't think it's necessarily meaningful or appropriate to try to publish a number "the cost of this site".

But, if I feel like the donation level is more than I need, I'll use some of it to have another "free device contest" from the CW shop, or some other such way to give back to the community.

Trust me, I'm not turning this into a for-profit business venture!!

Cheers,
-John
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Kagi is by far easyer than Pay Pall.

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

You can count me in on this too John.
I'm indebted to you and the world-wide community for all I've learnt, going to learn and for the feeling of being a part of a pieceful, friendly community on your planet.
It seems as if folks are having a bit of grief getting money to you so if you want to email me an address etc, I can put something in the snail mail.
I understand the answer to Grok re showing the costs etc - there are so many intangibles, but it would be good, and encouraging to us all if there was one of those "church roof appeal thermometers" sort of things on the site.
Looking forward to topping up your coffers
FreiFlug

Post by FreiFlug »

Thanx John for this usefull site. It helped me very often to solve problems with my setup and it´s interesting with good music so that you can spend much time with it...perhaps sometimes to much time (as my wife says... :smile: )!! Go on!
CU FreiFlug
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

so what's the status on this? Is it still paypal or something else? Did the first paypal bunch get to you John?
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Hey Ken,

Yes, I've been receiving the occasional paypal donation, plus a couple through kagi. (I haven't set up the shareit thing, as it just seemed a bit overboard.)

The total so far comes to around $250.

I'm using the funds to move planetz to a new server with more diskspace and more bandwidth...

Thanks all!
-John
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

did you get my donation? How did that go? I'm not sure it worked cuz I didn't do anything about. I'm supposed to get some sort of number right?
hubird

Post by hubird »

Hey folks, got my Paypal member number this week, according to what Paypal email said: < In the item description section of your next credit card
statement, your 4-digit Member Number will be printed next to the $1.95 PayPal Membership Fee. Check your next
statement to find your unique Member Number.>
It was on 16 august that I asked for membership, it was the VISA statement that took so long.
So John, let's see if Paypal works...I finally will make my 10,- € donation... :smile:
Greetz

Edit: seems it worked, just it was not possible to pay in EUR valuta, had to choose $.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2002-09-26 22:14 ]</font>
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Hey Hubird, got your paypal, thanks!

Ken, I don't think you needed to do anything further after making the donation. You should've received a confirmation that you sent it, but that's all.

Cheers,
-John
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

John,
What a nightmare this Paypal is. I've done my bit, so let me know if you ever receive anything.
It may be easier to have a postal address in the future - at least you know what to do with snail mail!
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Once again: Kaggi is very easy :smile:

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

John why not sell a certificate!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
thermos

Post by thermos »

great sugestion abre. I second that.
we`ll be like a secret brotherhood. Or maybe a sticker u can put on your guitar-case, or a button we can were at things like namm and frankfurt, this way we can spot eachother and exchange our secret handshake.

what also would be great is if cw made an device and donated it to john for him to give away to people who support. I think if we planetz members owe alot to this place and john, then shure as h#ll cw do it to (many times more). How many full time jobs at the cw office would it take to substitute planetz?.

thermos.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thermos on 2002-10-01 00:10 ]</font>
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I love the idea of a planetZ sticker or certificate... Very cool!
doodyrh

Post by doodyrh »

Bump!
Yeah, yeah, I know it's sticky but no harm done, eh?
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

heck, I'd even get like a planetZ T-shirt! I WANT ONE!
Nikko

Post by Nikko »

I can host planetz.com domain on the dadev.com server. It runs on NT...
I've MSQL and php installed

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nicolas Choukroun on 2003-01-24 07:11 ]</font>
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Hey Nikko,

Thanks again for your offer. Nikko and I discussed this offline and it wouldn't really work for planetz.

In short, dadev's server is Nikko's personal PC, runing out of his house on a 256k line, which wouldn't be enough for the typical planetz traffic, especially with all the mp3 bandwidth! Way back in the beginning, I ran planetz from a linux server at my house over a 128k line, but bandwidth quickly became a limitng factor.

Despite the the frustrations I've had with the current webhost, I know I can depend on nightly backups, a good suite of remote administration tools, T3 lines, diesel power generators, etc...

Thanks again,
-John