Forum Update

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Re: Forum Update

Post by valis »

John Cooper wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:49 am Nice work Valis. Great to see the latest phpBB bringing a responsive and more modern design. I know this transition wasn't a trivial undertaking, and I appreciate you keeping the forums alive and kicking.
-John
You got it John! Thanks again for trusting me with this stewardship.
valis

Post by valis »

jksuperstar wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 am Looks great on the mobile platform. Each post does have a "Re: Subject" in fairly large font, which separates the member's name from the post a bit much. A small thing, really.
Tweaked this, let me know what you think. The FIRST one is still larger (it was 1.6em it's now 1.4, and the others in a thread were all 1.5em and are now 1.3em). Added a touch of padding too....

Also tweaked post boxes a bit, underlined the title/name/date section to make it easier to see by demarcing that area from the post body, and adjusted signature lines (dotted) and the bottom line below that (on posts that have it) to be a subtler green/grey and blend better.

What do you guys think of the icons for posts/mainforum area that show things as already read (darkened), should there be a smaller orange outline to keep it consistent with the "NEW" items that are very bright right now?
Secret Test Kitchen

Post by Secret Test Kitchen »

I really like this new design! So much progress for the platform! Really great year for us. Thank you Valis for this re-design and thank you Holger, Gary, Ocean Swift, dNa, Space F, Sur-audio lab, and everyone else that made so much XITEment this awesome year.
valis

Post by valis »

Smilies should be fixed now...
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

John Cooper wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:49 am Nice work Valis. Great to see the latest phpBB bringing a responsive and more modern design. I know this transition wasn't a trivial undertaking, and I appreciate you keeping the forums alive and kicking.
-John
Nice to have your visit John, hope you're doing very well! :)
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I think the logo is nice and adequate to the page upgrade. Being new, at the same time it is capable of kipping the "vintage" taste of the iconic year of 1999, when we started it all. This logo is, after so many years of looking at it daily, sort of a strong anchor to the Scope history and platform itself, which is our own history too.

I think the solution to the mp3 attachment problem is that every member takes care of their own files so it is not a heavy load for you. All that is needed is to upload again the same files. I would say, leave the forum as it is right now and give this job to us, please. The following mp3s or similar files to be uploaded into the new scheme, anyway, should have no problems. (Z brothers, let us do this little job in a “personal” level, so to skip this long and tedious job on Valis, this is my humble suggestion)

I don’t see any green or light gray background as you asked for…

You asked: “What do you guys think of the icons for posts/mainforum area that show things as already read (darkened), should there be a smaller orange outline to keep it consistent with the "NEW" items that are very bright right now?” I like it very much as it is right now, for me, no change needed.

I will now post a few icons, because I see them still with some white pixels, let see what happens if we post them here...

:D :) :( :o :-? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: :wink:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Cool, white pixels are gone!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Wow, it really flies, it is VERY responsive. Now I am more conscious of it after surfing several topics for about 30 minutes, this alone it is worth the update! :wink:
Marco

Post by Marco »

This forum is not really better. I search the same functions now. But I will survive it.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Ambient Source

Post by Ambient Source »

great update: faster, nicer and more modern
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I have even updated my avatar to match! :D
Mikael-R

Post by Mikael-R »

I think it would be slightly better to have the avatar icons on the left side of the page like before. Since you start reading from the left it's nice to immediately recognize the poster without having to move the eyes.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

Mikael-R wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:46 am I think it would be slightly better to have the avatar icons on the left side of the page like before. Since you start reading from the left it's nice to immediately recognize the poster without having to move the eyes.
abl.jpg
abl.jpg (34.9 KiB) Viewed 35001 times
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
cortone

Post by cortone »

Thanks for your work Valis, and thanks to John Cooper for his long-time contributions. Most of all thanks to all the Scopers who make this place happen, and keep the community alive for two decades and counting.

I really miss having a single-click link to "Active Topics" at the top of the page. Any chance that could come back? I found it under the Quick Links, so I don't feel stranded.

Everything esle is great, even if it might take some adjustment on my part. :P
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Thanks nestor and cortone for the good vibes. I don't come round here very often anymore, but it's always nice to see the Scope community still lives on and thrives here!

That new logo is a nice update, but I'm a little concerned about asteroid impacts :)
-John
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

Oh, another great surprise! Thanks valis! Love it!
And a big thank you for keeping our familiar colors! :)

I noticed that the small grey left arrow before the "Return to" links is a little bit hard to see.

I'd also like to have the user area of the posts on the left side again. I really don't care about Ableton... :lol:

And yes, it would be really great if you could bring back the "Active Topics" links to its previous prominent place.
I almost always use that link.
valis wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:30 am What do you guys think of the icons for posts/mainforum area that show things as already read (darkened), should there be a smaller orange outline to keep it consistent with the "NEW" items that are very bright right now?
These are probably not the icons you're referring to, but those big yellow icons in front of the posts on the index page don't really match the overall theme in my opinion. Maybe you can change their color and make the border smaller/lighter? What do all these icons mean anyway...? :lol: I find them a little bit distracting sometimes.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Cool update. Nice work.

Yeah I think it’s time to drop the planetz name. Makes no sense really. It made sense when the scope forum was part of johns planetz.

It’s now just a forum for scope and sonic core.
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Yeah- I wouldn't be offended if you guys choose to rename the forums. Up to you.
-John
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

If any, we could name it "Planet S" with a reversed Z in the logo... :P
No really need for a change, though. This would only confuse us "old" people here :lol:
Mikael-R

Post by Mikael-R »

Some design nitpicking :) : The width of the avatar area seems a bit unnecessarily wide. It could be cut down by 50 pixels I think to make it a bit more tidy looking.

I would prefer a darker color outside the posting area rather then a brighter. Maybe something like #061820 could work nicely which is a blend between black and the current posting area color.
Or it could be completely black which would look retro and go along with the space theme.

I think the name planetZ is nice as long as Sonic Core doesn't run the forum.

Anyway, thanks. It's nice to see things moving forward. I will donate something because of dNa's offer.