Re: Forum Update

Post by RA »

Yep i alo think that link would work ;)
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
valis

Post by valis »

Each manual change of the template, or other forum components for that matter, requires repeating that change everytime that associated bit of code is changed. These forums have been 'frozen' a few times over the years due to such things. So my goal was to rely on extensions as much as possible. I have seen a lot of requests for this, and I suppose since I never used that the difference between 1 click & 2 clicks is a bit lost on me.
RA

Post by RA »

You are right...but if its joomla you coukd publish it as a menulink and it would be fully dynamic or compatible...you know....plugins and extensions can also get outdated or give problems is my experience with joomla :lol:

The difference between 1 or 2 clicks on a pc isnt much but on a phone the quicklinks are nifty to select....zoom...click 1 click 2

But sure...im not lazy :lol:
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
valis

Post by valis »

THIS isn't joomla, it's phpbb. Joomla is the frontend (scopeusers.com instead of forums.scopeusers.com or scopusers.com/forums), and you can't see that yet as it has no content (but it is installed now). If you visit that manually at present I have an index file that has a redirect in it, and I'm overriding index.php to be secondary to index.htm via .htaccess until ready to move on the frontend. (I am asking for help writing articles btw!)

And I'm not thrilled about installing extensions even for phpbb, but they are separate and mean updates will work off the diff files (or just upload/overwrite) instead of having to manually compare and redo edits as I have in the past with forums (phpbb/vbulletin/etc).
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

valis wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:51 am Each manual change of the template, or other forum components for that matter, requires repeating that change everytime that associated bit of code is changed.
Ok, that sucks. Maybe just submit a feature request to the theme developer then.

Another thing I noticed is, that I'm getting email notifications for every single reply of a thread, although it states "No more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic." in the emails.
valis

Post by valis »

This is the *stock* theme for phpbb, which is why I chose to make a style fork on top of it. Every phpbb update will come with this theme and won't require checking too many things per update.

I have a better question, does the rolling ticker of new threads that we have now have any use for anyone? Seems to be no, so I might as well remove it, one less thing to be potentially vulnerable or out of date...

For notifications, head into your user control panel
- first visit UCP > Overview > Manage Subscriptions:
https://forums.scopeusers.com/ucp.php?i ... subscribed

Then visition UCP > Board Preferences > Notifications:
https://forums.scopeusers.com/ucp.php?i ... on_options
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

valis wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:39 am I have a better question, does the rolling ticker of new threads that we have now have any use for anyone? Seems to be no, so I might as well remove it, one less thing to be potentially vulnerable or out of date...
+1
For notifications, head into your user control panel
I already checked my settings but I guess this is something global?
Something like "Send notifications for every reply or just one until the user logs in again".
cortone

Post by cortone »

I made constant use of the original Active Topics link, and would love to have it back. But it's not worth stability issues or a lot of extra work for you, especially in light of how much you do already. I can adapt to the new "click-aim-click" method!
valis

Post by valis »

Habits are hard to change, I know :D
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

i miss the button "attr" target="_blank" in URL
to open in new browser tab
let open the forum source-page

<a target="_blank" href="http://your_url_here.html">Link</a>
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

Here's a pic of all those email notifications by the way. :)
It wasn't like this before IIRC.

email-notifications.jpg
email-notifications.jpg (99.1 KiB) Viewed 37536 times
valis

Post by valis »

sunmachine, i haven't had time to track down why you might be getting constant notifications aside from that one setting. Want to search the phpbb support forums a bit and see if you find anything?

Spieltraum, I only found a manual mod for that, no extensions as of yet. I will log the request for now...
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

valis wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:04 am sunmachine, i haven't had time to track down why you might be getting constant notifications aside from that one setting. Want to search the phpbb support forums a bit and see if you find anything?
It's apparently a bug. Looks like it only happens when you opt for email notifications only.
So I'll activate the board notifications for subscribed topics as well and see if that will reduce the emails.

Here are the relevant links:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2429516
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14754
valis

Post by valis »

Right, the tracker has the most relevant discussion on this for new users, and it seems to be triggered by migrating directly from 3.0 to 3.2, as I did. Stepping through a few interim 3.1 updates seems to have avoided it for others... but since it's in the tracker one would hope it gets fixed. I'll add the bug to the list of user concerns and we can track it over time.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Oh ! Snow is falling on the Z Planet ! :) Happy chrismas !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
valis

Post by valis »

Server will be moved soon. If the site is unresponsive or doesn't show up for you, either wait for your ISP to update their DNS cache (it times out automatically) or try flushing your local DNS cache(s) and see if that helps. Moving to a machine with a faster SSD array and newer processor, etc.
valis

Post by valis »

Server move complete.
garyb

Post by garyb »

good job.
Berny Shoes

Post by Berny Shoes »

Thank you Valis