Excellent Scope Dynamic Eq !

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Excellent Scope Dynamic Eq !

Post by JoPo »

Hi all !

I'm very pride to announce this ! (When I bought my first Pulsar card, 20 years ago, I couldn't imagine that !)

Since YEARS, I build modular patches which work like dynamic eq, for instance, an eq which have a midi keyfollow as modulation source or an eq which its gain modulation source is filtered with another frequency than the eq band. This allow me to rise high frequencies when the signal is in low frequencies and add low frequencies when the signal has more high frequencies. That kind of way of equying gives very good results on a bass guitar, for example.

On Scope, there is not a lot of dynamic eq. We have Dynapara in which one cannot have different frequencies for the side chain (SC) signal and the eq band. I must confess that I never get any nice result with it...
We have the very good MOVEQ, also but if you make some timing test with it ( which I made, to verify why I didn't hear what it should do), you'll notice that there is a too big latency between the SC detection at its SC input and the moment the gain is changing. The good thing is that with MOVEQ, you can modulate not only the eq gain but also the frequency and the frequency band width.
But the timing is really bad, after measurments, I noticed from 80ms, up to 120ms for the parameter to be modulated ! And this time is never the same ! So you can't give it a negative delay in order to it to modulate at the right time since the time is never the same.

This is the reason I build my modular patches with modulating sync & audio signals.

When I saw John's devices, http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35080 , I noticed that he developed a « VCA topology compressor ».

I understood VCA topology = fast response. Because when I build a modular fx processor and want it to response in a fast and accurate way, I use only sync and audio signal modules to modulate parameters.
Exactly wht I need for my Scope dynamic eq ! I bought SDK in order to develope it ! But it takes so much time which I need to make music !

And in my TC Powercore, I have this excellent dynamic eq http://www.tcelectronic.com/dynamic-eq-powercore/ which works exactly as I wish : that SC signal can be unliked from the eq band filter.

So I contacted John and asked him if he could develope for me a device like that one... But with an extra-features !
The extra-features are : possibility to have an external SC input for each band. With them, you can modulate the eq gain with any outside signal : audio or keyfollow converted in audio signal ! Or enveloppe or what ever you want if it's converted in audio signal, outputed by a modular patch, for instance...
A ratio knob like on a compressor.
Choosing if you want the 4 bands in serial or in parallel.

And he said yes ! Let's try !

He studied the TC dynamic eq manual and after one month, he send me the first version. After some discussion, we improved it to finally have a very fast, precise dynamic eq. And the GUI looks like the TC one !

SO !
Dyneq_help.jpg
Dyneq_help.jpg (189.8 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
With this fantastic TrrRRremendous dynamic eq, you can separate (unlink) the SC signal from the eq band to modulate its gain. You can add static and dynamic gain to each of the 4 bands, or a mix of both.

If you add positive dynamic gain, the gain will rise, modulated by the SC amplitude signal. With negative gain, you'll lower the eq band gain.

Each of the 4 bands have parametric / high shelve / low shelve filter choice.

You can use external SC source signal for each of the 4 bands even used as insert.

A « soft » button to make modulation transitions more sweet.

A « inv » button to reverse the dynamic equalisation : the dynamic gain is applyed when the SC signal goes above the threshold.

Comprehensive vumeters showing the SC signal amplitude and the gain reduction.

A look ahead knob.

A softclip knob.

Choice between parallel and series for the 4 bands (in series = 1 → 2 → 3 → 4)

You can listen to the SC signal on each band.

The latency between SC signal and gain modulating is 7ms at 44.1khz, and always the same !

The result is really absolutely AWESOME ! And I really think this device was missing on our Scope arsenal.

CHEERS !

To get it, just contact John ! He asks for 150€ to have it and believe me, it's worth it !! The work he had to develope the dynamic eq is really worth 150€ !

!! ONLY FOR XITE !! (didn't try on PCI........)

And you can contact him if you have, like me, a device idea !

John.... If you want to add something....
Last edited by JoPo on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
garyb

Re: Excellent Scope Dynamic Eq !

Post by garyb »

cool!
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

JoPo wrote:
!! ONLY FOR POWERCORE !! (didn't try on PCI........)

Aww well too bad it isn't for the Xite :-?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

yayajohn wrote:
JoPo wrote:
!! ONLY FOR POWERCORE !! (didn't try on PCI........)

Aww well too bad it isn't for the Xite :-?
:lol: Sorry ! Of course John didn't develope the one for Powercore which already exist ! :P My mistake ! For XITE ! :P
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

:D looks pretty cool!
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

It is, indeed ! There is no such device on Scope yet.

I show tou the device in the project window :
Dyneqw.jpg
Dyneqw.jpg (6.01 KiB) Viewed 6236 times
And the side chain routing window opened to route side chain when used in insert :
DyneqS_C.jpg
DyneqS_C.jpg (55.32 KiB) Viewed 6236 times
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

So... do it work on PCI?
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Well... John says it cannot !

And indeed, when I load it on my 13 dsp pci system, it says pci limit reached with only it in the project window !

I don't know if John could develope it for pci.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

This device is AMAZING !

Thanks to its dynamic or/and static gain mix, the inverse feature and its unlinkable sidechain filters, you can do what none of Scope device is able to do !

For example, in a wave file, a part has too much high frequency distorsion, unpleasant to hear. By setting a band on the frequency I want to erease, negative dynamic gain SC linked and a second band on exactly the same frequency, 'inv' switched on, negative dynamic gain and side chain unlinked with its frequency on mid-low, enough Q, the device ereases bad 1290hz distorted noise only on parts without mid-low frequencies and leave it when mid-low frequencies are present !

This is stunning ! I can achieve exactly results I'm looking for and in a fast way (without having to build a modular processor which takes me 1 or 2 days in order to get the result I want) ! Really awesome !

I'm using it on my mastering chain too, with excellent result. It's like a much more elaborate deesser which works on any frequency. I can't believe I had a so good idea ! Ok... :D The main idea comes from TC Electronic but we added very good and unique new features !