Donations

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Donations

Post by valis »

Hi all!

For those that don't know John Cooper started the PlanetZ forums, and our community has congregated here for years (among other places). We certainly owe him a debt of gratitude for starting and keeping these forums on his website over the years. Some time ago John C. mentioned that his interest in Scope had waned, and we agreed to give the forums a home. When we moved the hosting for these forums over to my online neighborhood, we removed the donation button that John had in place. At the very least the donations now needed to point at a different paypal...

I have maintained this web-server for over a decade & I don't run the web hosting side of my life on a for-profit basis. Since I don't mind hosting our forums sans donations, I obviously took my time getting around to re-adding the donation button. Rest assured I would never want to take that pint out of your hand or find you for lack of a good smoke, and this place will be around regardless.

To be fully transparent, I do not *require* donations to keep hosting this community. Still, I'm going to again put up a request for donations both in this post and as a button at the bottom of the forums, as we once had when John hosted us. If you should feel like helping out with a donation, it will certainly help cover the associated time and costs.

And of course there are some things that needed attending to when I took over the stewardship of this web presence. The forum software (phpbb) has moved on from the 3.0.x codebase, so a migration is long overdue. A 3.1.X template comes along with that, to keep and/or update the familiar look of this place. And before that occurs the files database has broken links before a certain date, but the files themselves are still present. There's also a few other minor things that will need to be accounted for before a migration occurs. All in all I will eventually get to it if for no other reason than the 3.0.X code will eventually be rendered vulnerable to some attack or other that warrants it. I mention these issues as it makes sense that should anyone feel the urge to be generous, excessive income generated by donations here will be allocated to getting around to these issues sooner, and of course continuing to keep these forums going.

Donate via this link here or the "donate" button at the bottom of the forums.

Thank you all for continuing to participate here and it makes me happy to be able to help do my part.

Note: All donations are 100% confidential and your donation information goes to noone else. I respect not only your privacy but also insure that your information is secure and shared with no 3rd party at any time. Your privacy is safe here. If you prefer 100% anonymity but still want to donate, you can try using the 'pay with a credit card' option without logging into paypal. I don't mind adding other options here if someone wants to donate and for some reason can't use paypal, please respond in this thread and we'll go from there.
garyb

Re: Donations

Post by garyb »

done.

people, send a little something! :)
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

sent! rock on Z! <3
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
valis

Post by valis »

Thank you :)
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

I just made a donation to Valis. This is the best forum and thus needs to be supported. Thank you for taking on the primary responsibility of keeping Planetz alive, I figure I need to do my part with a small donation when I can.
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Thanks again Valis for taking on the hosting / moderating duties. While I'm not particularly involved in the community anymore, I'm happy to see that it lives on and prospers in good hands.
-John
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

added a montjly donation on top of previous one! go Z!
Music
valis

Post by valis »

I always have downtime in the winter in my area of the country (music gigs dry up, which fills the gaps in my other work). So perhaps it's finally time to consider the upgrade path for the aging phpbb versions we're running here. GaryB spends a lot of time taking care of spammers and the like, and that would be reduced, and I could finally finish fixing the links to the older devices. I started on that 2 years ago and then had a son! And now that he's almost two, I feel like life is returning to normal...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks for reminding me.
Just re upped.
valis

Post by valis »

Ty Jimmy, waiting on faxi to respond to my q. :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

He’s probably recording in Thailand in some Tree Top with Monkeys and exotic Birds, etc.
Guy gets around.
RA

Post by RA »

Ofcourse we support the cause :wink:
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
valis

Post by valis »

And thank you sir :wink:
GordonGekko

Post by GordonGekko »

:) thanks Valis. And I think Faxi meant the box you can tick (reccuring payment) on paypal...
valis

Post by valis »

Yep, finally realized that's there. Appreciate the support and the opportunity to continue supporting you guys and our collective Scope dreams :)
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

sent a few more bucks :)
Music
spacef

Post by spacef »

donated a little something :)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
valis

Post by valis »

Should I add a bitcoin/altcoin option?
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

I just sent you a small donation Valis .
valis

Post by valis »

Beyond thankful for what has come in so far, we have passed the 'tipping point' for an upgrade, and I am now backing everything up and making ready. Hence a small outage a few minutes ago.

I am also installing a CMS on the frontend of scopeusers.com. Please feel free to PM me with any thoughts on what the frontend of this site should have to be of use to the userbase.