Merry Xmas!

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Holger Drenkelfort

Merry Xmas!

Post by Holger Drenkelfort »

I want to share some personal thoughts and a bit of the SCOPE history with you. You might know that Sonic Core in a way came out of Creamware. I was one of the developers at Creamware, and now… S|C Holger, it’s me. When posting the video of the SCOPE Syndromeda Open Air Festival 1999 (https://www.facebook.com/soniccore/vide ... eo&theater), it reminded me of the first SCOPE product's release - "Pulsar" - in 1998, since this happened at Creamware's radio telescope on a hill near to Bad Muenstereifel as well. Bringing out something like the SCOPE DSP platform, at this time it was like a huge vision coming true. A flight to another planet would be nothing related to bring out SCOPE, this was my feeling. And for the introduction of Pulsar, Creamware had invited lots of press people, dealers, musicians, friends… for an entire week-end, expecting the big news. With that, the deadline to get ready with development was Friday, August 21st. And of course, several weeks before that day we recognized a real wonder is needed to get ready with development in time.

So, we stayed at the radio telescope day and night. We had camp beds, and food was brought up to the hill. Did we sleep at all during these weeks or months? I don't remember. But I remember tons of coffee, beer, pills… and something like jack hammers at the construction works right beside our tables inside the telescope. We all were crazy and we all had that one goal. Nothing else mattered… and with the sunrise of the 21st we had made it. That morning we climbed up to the top of the telescope, laid down into the bowl and collapsed into sleep. Sounds like a sentimental story… yes, it is. Exhausted I stayed this day and went back to Siegburg in the evening, couldn't drive my car properly. When arrived, I found my mother sitting on the stairs to my flat, waiting to tell me that my father has died. What I did is going all the way back to the scope on the hill, to the release event. This was what saved me: SCOPE and all the crazy people behind and around it.

What we created at that time was among the first DSP systems, the most extensive, flexible and scalable one, representing outstanding sound synthesis and processing. One year after this first release SCOPE was cult; this was leading to the Syndromeda Open Air Festival… my video post.

Till today, lots of people have provided their work to the platform and the community. I want to thank you! And even if SCOPE does not fit to everybody, it fits perfectly to the special people I like mostly. It never was the money that made us doing crazy bunch of work. It always was people, music, visions, so… emotions and dreams.

Wish you wonderful Xmas days and a good start into a great new year!

Holger Drenkelfort
JoPo

Re: Merry Xmas!

Post by JoPo »

Danke sehr !

Glad to see your motivation is still here ! I wish you a merry chrismas ! I'm with Scope since 1999 and I'm sure more great things are waiting for us in the future. You made the most fantastic music platform ever and I can't imagine how I could make music without my Xite-1 & PCI cards. You and all the people who participate to this adventure and create stuff for Scope have my entire respect.

Cheers !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Happy Holidays Holger!

My original Pulsar 1 from '98 is still running inside it's FIFTH computer host!

Here's to a Scope 6 in 2016!!

Greg
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

wow, i can only imagine those times, amazing post holger! it is so amazing that so many people that use scope have a special place for it in thier heart. a card with dsp chips with sentimental value to so many people! <3
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Merry Christmas!

Let's keep Scope moving. This is a big surprise, a word from The President :)

All the best in 2016,

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

thanks Holger! :)
Lexington

Post by Lexington »

Merry Xmas Holger

Thank you so much for this outstanding platform.
valis

Post by valis »

My Pulsar1 came to me via the route most of my worthy gear has come to me: a connection with someone that went beyond a mere financial transaction. And since I acquired it, the Pulsar1 and Scope has never left my studio. I still run that 4 DSP card alongside a 6 DSP card I gained from my participation in Flexor & Adern, for which I am forever greatful and endeared to Assaf & Co. :D

I'm happy to have been here for this journey with the rest of you, for the time I've been allowed to be here. And as far into the future as we shall be!
cheskylow

Post by cheskylow »

Danke Holger,

ich wünsche Dir auch eine frohe Weihnacht und alles Gute für das Neue Jahr!

Das was Du berichtest ist sehr interessant und ich kann vieles aus der user-Sicht nachvollziehen.
Ich bin schon seit den frühen triplDat Zeiten dabei ;-)

Grüße aus Hamburg
Ingo
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Thanks for posting that Holger. You had me at "hello"
Thank you for your dedication and sacrifice then and now.

Merry Christmas

Dan Rowe

Pulsar 1 -1999
Scope Project - 2004
Scope Project -2007
Scope Professional -2009
Xite-1 -2012

All in use at my home today!!!
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

It's Great to hear from you Holger! SCOPE is and always has been special, and Holger it's great to hear about the passion you and others had for SCOPE at its time of birth! Glad to see you continuing the mission to improve SCOPE wich is a labour that's obviousely out of love. SCOPE is still the best sounding platform ITB and a SCOPE based rig is still most flexible! I wish I would've been using SCOPE since its beginning in 1998 but unfortunately I did not know about SCOPE until many years later plus I most likely could not afford SCOPE back then. But the users who have used SCOPE since its beginning are truly blessed! SCOPE is as good as it gets far as Studio technology goes (it's my dream Studio no doubt), SCOPE has the soundquality of high quality hardware but better workflow like Native, and is a heart of studio that integrates all unlike no other. Looking forward to seeing what SCOPE's future holds and I really appreciate all that you have done for SCOPE and all that you are still doing. Thank you and good luck Holger!

PS. Happy Holidays!
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Thank you Holger. Lovely imagery you have painted there - joyous youthful exuberance, the magnitude of a radio telescope, offset against the tragic news of your own father's passing...

The hope and promise around the Radio 'Scope brings to mind the message that Frank Drake and Carl Sagan sent from the Arecibo radio telescope to the M13 star cluster, in 1974...
Arecibo's 300m diameter radio scope, Puerto Rico: http://www.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de/3146305/zoom.jpg
The message: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_message, http://13dimension.com/wp-content/uploa ... 1_5001.jpg

Hope you have a great Christmas, and wish you all the very best for 2016!

Greetings from Ireland, Eanna
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Merry Christmas to all Scopers.
Especially the Saxon heathens who invented Scope..
David

Post by David »

Thank you for the genius which is Scope and the years of adventures.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
cjgt

Post by cjgt »

Come from China beijing ,luna,pulsar,scope user in 1999.

we met in shanghai of china ,are you remenber me .

Merry Christmas!

Caojun in beijing
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Holger Drenkelfort wrote:I want to share some personal thoughts and a bit of the SCOPE history with you. ...
Holger Drenkelfort
Holger,- great read, thank you !

Merry x-mas, great holidays and all the best !

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Father Scope! Merry Christmas ;)

...and wonderful, visionary, and productive new year!
bosone

Post by bosone »

Merry Scope to Christmas! :)

thanks Holger for your work, hoping to continue to use scope for the next 15 years! :)
Nicolas Gody

Post by Nicolas Gody »

Merry Christmas!!!
dante

Post by dante »

August 1998 - that must have been a Pulsar 1 with 4 DSP. At that time I had a Yamaha SW1000XG which had 6 stereo channels of mixer and inbuilt MIDI sounds. It inspired my guitarist to buyed one, but I soon envied him because he also got the Yamaha DSP factory adding another 16 channels !

Now, I loved the Yamaha but the routing was fixed. I thought all routing would be done in DAW software.

Then in Jun 2000- I saw Scope Pulsar 2 - now 6 DSP and a mature platform it seemed ! Two years is a long time between the release of scope and me buying it. So now my guitarist envied Scope and went and got it as well ! Also a techno mate known as Ontik in this forum bought it also.

Yes it seemed like a long time - 2 years - but now, SIXTEEN YEARS that SAME Pulsar 2 - in it's fifth or so host - is still in use. Joined by a bunch of other Scope DSP !

Scope has done for music what Turing did for general computing - made a single machine that could be - simultaneously - many.

Congratulations Holger and co - not for building the best computer music system that ever was - but for building the best computer music system that will ever be !