dNa Optimus Prime + dNa Tape Echo - Special offer

dNa Devices discussion & support

Moderators: valis, RA

irrelevance

Re: dNa Optimus Prime + dNa Tape Echo - Special offer

Post by irrelevance »

Also When moving the speed knob a full turn on Tape Echo causes the filter knob to move a half turn also. Why is this?
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

dante wrote:What values are your recirculate sliders ?
Doesn't seem to matter what value they are.
RA

Post by RA »

The Infinite-function works on the long delays....at least that how i designed it.....did you have that selected?
Will check it for you ;-)

The tape echo adjusts it's filters since tapespeed has some influence on the sound, that is why the filterknob is moving a bit.
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

RA wrote:The Infinite-function works on the long delays....at least that how i designed it.....did you have that selected?

The tape echo adjusts it's filters since tapespeed has some influence on the sound, that is why the filterknob is moving a bit.
What´s the max delay time of the tape echo ?
The original Watkins CopyCat´s DT was pretty short.
Do we get 500ms+ out from tape echo ?

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
RA

Post by RA »

Hi Bud, actually....beats me ;-) Dunno....gotta check that....it was designed in an other way than the Optimus Prime. Optimus is up to 2.5 sec

The TapeEcho can do longer delays than a CopiCat because of it's tapespeed.....at least mine was limited that way ;-)

With the optimus and it's filters you can do some tapestyle echo's, but the sound is different from the TapeEcho. The TapeEcho
i designed specifically creating that tapeechosound.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

RA wrote:Hi Bud, actually....beats me ;-) Dunno....gotta check that....it was designed in an other way than the Optimus Prime. Optimus is up to 2.5 sec
Yes, I know,- and Optimus Prime would be ideal as a modulation delay in the mixer´s aux-channel and for my Oberheim Xpander.
RA wrote: The TapeEcho can do longer delays than a CopiCat because of it's tapespeed.....at least mine was limited that way ;-)
I owned one too late 60s and it was noisy and relatively short delay, I doubt it was more than 250ms ...
Otherwise I liked the CopyCat and found a cool freeware emulation as VST at GSi ...
http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=36

But that´s 1:1 and VST.

For the realtime SCOPE platform you´re pretty welcome.
If it did at least 500ms (1 sec would be more ideal), but w/ that CopyCat tape echo sound,- it would be for me.
Is it mono ?
I´d like to use it w/ my real Minimoog D though.
RA wrote: With the optimus and it's filters you can do some tapestyle echo's, but the sound is different from the TapeEcho. The TapeEcho i designed specifically creating that tapeechosound.
Well, that´s why I want to use the tape echo and optimus prime simultaneously,- but for different purposes.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
dawman

Post by dawman »

Used these last night, and can't wait to use them again tonight.
Sound great by themselves but mix of the entire band caused me to raise the linked Delay amounts to max (AUX 3) and then use a slider on the BCF-2000 for real time mixing and the sound is great.

An Oberheim would really love the Optimus/Tape Delay combination.
My SE-1X really loves Optimus.
Usually I have to adjust the phase as the SE'1X is mono, but having the invert options on the Filter and Dry Audio ensures the sound w/o FX is exactly the sound with FX.

Really great Delays.
RA

Post by RA »

The TapeEcho on tapehead 3 and speed 7.5 is around 825 ms

Loop function on the Optimus Prime is when the long delays are used (or the combinations with the modulated delay)
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

RA wrote:The Infinite-function works on the long delays....at least that how i designed it.....did you have that selected?

Yes I have long delays set, I did have mod set as well but just to confirm it's only on long delays now. I have a drum beat set to input I press infinite button (mute switch and filters activate now for some reason) I unmute, adjust filters to hear delay. Delay is there and Recirculate is set to full. If I stop drum beat delay tail fades out, it's not infinite. Can any1 confirm this action?
Does this mean potential bug or is this user error somehow?

Thanks for confirming tape action Ray. Had a hunch but hey, never got my hands on a real tape delay so my ears and eyes will have to take you at your word :-) lol
RA

Post by RA »

Loop function is designed WITH the mute function. It mutes further input, and loops the portion which is in the delay memory that moment, thus recirculate (FB) goes up, causing the infinite loop. Filter to up, to let that original sound untouched so it actually can loop forever....if you filter it, it will die out.

So if you set the recirculate/fb to full and it still dies out, maybe to much filtering, and you can always throw in the howl function.
It should work, but let me know ;-)
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Ok here is what I observed with the infinite loop.

-normal/vintage button to normal/Howl off/mod off
-recirculate faders to max
-no filters ( LPF with faders to max)
-when you send audio through it will loop infinitely
-at this point if you select the infinity button it will select mute on. (and if you have the HPF on it will change it to LPF)
-when you select the infinity button to off it changes the LPF to HPF
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Thanks for confirming yayajohn thought I was going mad.

-normal/vintage button to normal/Howl off/mod off
-recirculate faders to max
-no filters ( LPF with faders to max)
-when you send audio through it will loop infinitely

So yes with this I get infinite loops. What I'm getting stuck with is the manual description:

Infinite / ∞: LOOPS a portion of the signal in the memory at the moment of pressing.

So I understand why it is muting the input but why the filter switch? I mean if I've got the filter set to where I want it and hit the infinite loop button changing the filter screws with that setting. e.g I have drum loop running with above settings but filters changed to HP. Turning on endless loop in this instance changes filters to LP and I can't get the sound I had set.
If I change the filters to LP and turn on infinite loop it DOES NOT change the filters to HP so again I still can't get the setting required prior to using that button.

In fact using the mute switch seems to be the better option. So I'm still not understanding the concept/functionality of the endless loop. :cry:

Loop function is designed WITH the mute function. It mutes further input, and loops the portion which is in the delay memory that moment, thus recirculate (FB) goes up, causing the infinite loop. Filter to up, to let that original sound untouched so it actually can loop forever....if you filter it, it will die out.
This is why I don't understand why the filter is switching because in my case it's causing the loop to die out. But as I said I can get the effect I want using the mute switch but would like to at least understand why the endless loop button would be preferable.

I think I'll record some examples and upload. I would record a screencast but since going 64bit camstudio no longer works for me but maybe I will give it another try.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

irrelevance wrote: I think I'll record some examples and upload. I would record a screencast but since going 64bit camstudio no longer works for me but maybe I will give it another try.

Oh yes I remember why I can't screencast now it's because the Scope 64bit wav driver for recording is screwed :(
RA

Post by RA »

The filters are in the recirculation path, and if you want to loop something, i wanted it to loop the portion that is in memory, so filters are "swithched" or turned up to "pass all what is in memory"....after the loop is switched on, you can adjust the filters to filter the loop again, but it will die out....indeed it is sometimes better to use the mute function, that's why the mute is present ;-)

If i let the filters at it's original state, it will not loop forever; so i decided for this solution.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Cool.
I'm getting lovely techy metallic drones with long and mod delays in parallel; just what I was after. ;-)
A wish for future versions ;-) Would be nice to have a set of filters after the recirculation path and part of the interface to mess with loops without killing them. I'll have to pipe it into modular. Thanks for sticking with me 8)
RA

Post by RA »

Nice irrelevance ;-)

The thought crossed my mind...extra filters....but i wanted to keep as much parameters in one GUI (okay, slap me silly for the lmod/phase ;-)
But...i have some other ideas ;-)

The metalic sounds can sometimes even sound like a distortion added to the original...
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

RA wrote:Nice irrelevance ;-)

The thought crossed my mind...extra filters....but i wanted to keep as much parameters in one GUI (okay, slap me silly for the lmod/phase ;-)
But...i have some other ideas ;-)

The metalic sounds can sometimes even sound like a distortion added to the original...

This device does beg to be played gotta get a controller setup on this asap 8) Also dreaming of a switchable side chain circuit on input/output (not sure how it could sound or if possible in the recirculated section but could be interesting too.
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

https://soundcloud.com/insanic4/g2-optimus-prime

How do I replace an expired demo key with the full license key? It does not ask for a new key. When I add and open the device I get the message: "Copy protection violation! Don't mess around with the copy protection! Restart the program to continue."
garyb

Post by garyb »

you should be asked for the new key.

in the worst case scenario, with Scope closed, make a copy of the keyfile.v5 file in Scope\app\bin as a backup. open the original file and delete the Optimus Prime line, save. open Scope and put the Optimus Prime device into the routing window. you should get a registration window and be able to enter the new key.
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

garyb wrote:you should be asked for the new key.

in the worst case scenario, with Scope closed, make a copy of the keyfile.v5 file in Scope\app\bin as a backup. open the original file and delete the Optimus Prime line, save. open Scope and put the Optimus Prime device into the routing window. you should get a registration window and be able to enter the new key.
It is working now (after I edited the keyfile).

Last edited by wouterz on Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.