ScopeSync public launch!

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: ScopeSync public launch!

Post by garyb »

Scope isn't windows software. it's the dsp gui. the Scope system and the PC's system are two separate things. the usb system is easier in the sense that it's entirely in the past. bottlenecks don't matter and sequencer playback can be delayed to match the system's output. if you connect the midi out of the midiman directly into the Scope hardware input, i'll bet that timing is tighter.

there was a post from tgstgs once that explained how these things work. it's somewhere here in the ether...

the problem is the nature of computers. anyone who has used a hardware sequencer can tell you all about this. a hardware sequencer is tighter than a windows sequencer.
dawman

Post by dawman »

If hardware sequencing for tighter synth work and automations during MIDI recording is needed a simple MIDI File Recorder in Bidule is tighter.
Even though that will never be as balls on accurate as a Roland MC500-MKII or Yamaha QX Series.
They actually have a really bad ass little hardware sequencer still available that is battery operated and the size of Tablet.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: ... that will never be as balls on accurate as a Roland MC500-MKII or Yamaha QX Series.
Yammi QX-1 = king of the hill when not more than 8 tracks/ MIDI channels are needed.
Mine is still ready for usage and I always liked it had 8 separate MIDI- Outs, one for each track/channel.
dawman wrote: They actually have a really bad ass little hardware sequencer still available that is battery operated and the size of Tablet.
Who,- roland or Yamaha ?
Can you provide a link please ?

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yamaha.
I used it for Tuba and Trumpets with battery operated clip on monitors as I walked amongst politicians playing a D'Luca Accordian over sequences.
Played Kraut Polkas and Beaner style Ranchero music in Carson City.
Made bank for a few months taking requests for Mordair Mordair Somewhere my Love Beer Barrel Polka Lichtenstein etc.etc.
Serenaded a pretty lawyer too.
Always got screwed by lawyers. Nice to finally screw one instead.

Great time with lyrics too.
When your voice sucks you change the words and nobody cares.

Roll out the barrel....we'll have a barrel of fun
Roll out the barrel.....we'll have the Jews on the run....

Suppose to be "blues on the run."
Politically incorrect sells regardless.

QY100 I think...?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I have one of these things. It's super solid. Cheesy sounds inside, but the sequencer is 480ppqn accurate, with plenty of options to handle all kinds of MIDI. I've used it as my master clock for many years, driving hardware and software.

Alas, using audio ramp signals instead of MIDI clock is better still. And it only improves with higher sample rates ;)

All of that said, I've used Simon's MIDI Clock module that is part of BCModular, and when driving my DAW, see about .05 BPM variance :) At 120BPM, that's only .004% error!
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

Today I was thinking about ScopeSync translating note messages received from the VST hosts sequencer to gate signals.....

thinking outloud here....

Suppose you take 4 parameters per note: Gate, Volume, Frequency, Panning or length.

Now in the modular I could then create a very cool tightly synced drummachine right ?

I would settle for just the gate signals. The rest can be done using VST automation already so I suppose its not really nessecary.
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

I'm pretty sure Silent Way can help with that
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Most likely the original lyrics.
dawman wrote: Roll out the barrel....we'll have a barrel of fun
Roll out the barrel.....we'll have the Jews on the run....
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well in my biz if you can't poke fun at yourself, you're doomed to become a Mamby Pamby.

Then again claiming victimhood sure seems to pay.
We have a blue eyed blonde haired Cherokee Senator making bank teaching others how to become victims at a University for 300k for a single class.

I should call the band Gay Sicilian Jews and demand door money to hear of our terrible treatment here in racist America.... :lol:

Cheerz.

And maybe I will try my hand at Scope Sync with Bidule, using the BCF 2000 and a custom GUI/skin to control a Studio Electronics CODE 8.
I have plenty of time.
Have to save 1200 USD every month for 6 months to have the big fat sucker with a rack of 8 CS80 filters added to the 8 voices and 8 x SEMs ( 4 way) and Moog 24db.

Scope SYnc will definitely be my savior for editing multis and presets.

Ankyu
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yes JK the Tuba sounded like a big ass fart.
But the Sheep thought it sounded great as I extracted tips for requests and did the tableside performance.
I made 3-400 twice a week there during "legislation."
Also noticed 3 miles down the street is the Bunny Ranch, Mustang, etc.
The girls there seemed to know when the politicians were gathering.... :wink:
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

It's true that many of the East European brawling bar and brothel bards sang some bawdy, bigoted ditties that somehow wound up in the liturgy years later, albeit with different lyrics or just the tunes themselves. As far as Jewish Sicilians, gay or otherwise, there ain't no such thing as the Kosher Nostra. :wink:
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
dawman

Post by dawman »

Which is why I am a victim and require special programs.

Hence ScopeSync.
Perfect for the brilliant minority of us.....
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

vascomusic wrote:Scope midi timing is far from what it should be :roll:
I use the sequencer midi module and it looks like that midi bus can't handle very much midi notes in a short amount of time. I know it's possible to have good midi timing with external midi equipment with a lot more midi notes at the same time.

It would be great if you can make a ScopeSync VSTi that also would transfer midi notes to Scope/SS128a for better timing :wink:
For midi notes, I don't know how to do that... Maybe with a midi transformer somewhere : a device which would transform some midi data into midi note data...

But transforming async modular data into midi controler and sending it outside modular to any Scope device data is already possible right now. (Sorry, I forgot to say that last time... Better late than never... :D ) Just use the BCM-8a device with all async at its input and tack midi data at its output.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

garyb wrote:if you connect the midi out of the midiman directly into the Scope hardware input, i'll bet that timing is tighter.
I just made the experiment !
Procedure : I loaded 2 instances of exactly the same Scope synth and recorded via asio one synth on the right, the same audio output of the other one on the asio left.
There is a difference of 1ms ! And it's the midiman->Scope midi input->Scope synth that was 1ms late !
So, I believe it is not worth it !
Dommage...
garyb

Post by garyb »

what, Scope mode? ASIO?
i thought you were checking midi timing....

but if using the interface is better for you, use it.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I was trying to see if it's better to use sequencer midi source or sending midi outside via midiman and taking it back to Scope via its midi input. In terms of midi timing.
The sequencer midi source won close to 1 ms !
garyb

Post by garyb »

sorry, this has nothing to do with Scope or it's midi inputs. it has to do with the way that windows treats the data.
as far as midi timing on a synth in Scope, it's a completely different subject. what i was speaking about was the timing of a signal directly into Scope via hardware or coming from the sequencer through windows. your test is completely different and subject to different variables.

in any case, use the method that makes the best music in the end. that's what it's about, making music.
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

MIDI timing issues are mostly related to jitter, rather than latency. Just because there's a 1ms difference in latency, doesn't mean it'll sound bad. If a bunch of hit-hats that are supposed to land on 16ths arrive at a variety of times near to the 16ths it might not sound as intended.

Sometimes this is a problem and other times it isn't :) There's a wealth of discussion across the Internet about it, but very little concrete in terms of recommendations on how to deal with it. Generally, USB isn't considered a great connection protocol for MIDI, whereas parallel and serial ports were. I assume there's not enough interest in a dedicated MIDI PCI-Express card, but I guess that would be the ideal. I think the RME cards are supposed to be pretty good for MIDI, but then you're paying for a load of other stuff too!
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I made this test after the discussion we had. It is not about if it's Scope or Windows that have bad midi treatment. It's just I wanted to know if I could improve midi timing accuracy. The result shows that it is the same from sequencer->Scope via midi outside or inside the computer.
I was full of hope to have a perfect midi playback timing but there is no difference, so I'll keep the internal midi connexion : there is less cables arround me... :wink:
garyb

Post by garyb »

native sequencer to Scope will always suck! well, not "SUCK", but it's almost impossible for it to be perfect. a windows or OSX machine will NEVER have the timing of a hardware sequencer, not EVER. this goes for any software sequencer playing back on a hardware device. the Scope instrument is NOT a computer instrument. it's in a completely different world than the computer's devices. if you use a hardware sequencer, you will be amazed at how much tighter it runs.

that said, it should be more than usable, and some routes may work better than others.