ScopeSync public launch!

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

w_ellis

ScopeSync public launch!

Post by w_ellis »

Hi inhabitants of PlanetZ,

I'm sure most of you will have been aware that there's been some development brewing at BCModular, over and above the usual cornucopia of modular modules! After a year of work, we're now at last ready to unveil the new version of ScopeSync, which is quite a different beast from the Max For Live package we debuted back in November of last year.

We've put together a brand-new website at www.scopesync.co.uk to coincide with the launch, containing all sorts of useful information about what ScopeSync is and a series of tutorial videos to help you get started. As a teaser, here's the top-level blurb:

ScopeSync is an Open Source framework that lets users easily build rich user interfaces for Sonic|Core Scope devices.

- Simple template language for building device User Interfaces
- GUI-based Configuration Manager
- High resolution control system for linking DAWs to Scope
- Scope Modular module allowing custom UIs to control user patches
- Tools for Scope SDK users to plug ScopeSync UIs into their custom devices
- Java external for Max/MSP exposing ScopeSync features in Max and Ableton Live
- Free and Open Source

When we say free, we really do mean free! You can get started using ScopeSync using any DAW (or even without a DAW) and the BC Modular package (just grab the latest version). It has a friendly installer, to make it easy to get up and running, so you have no excuse not to try it out. We even have some user patches from Roy Thinnes to get the creative juices flowing in the Configurations forum.

To download your copy of this, either head over directly to the Github release page, or collect it from the BC Modular forum here.

All feedback welcome, good and bad!

w_ellis and sharc

P.S. Thanks go out to the closed beta testers who helped us get it into this position and kept us motivated!
garyb

Re: ScopeSync public launch!

Post by garyb »

very nice!
petal

Post by petal »

Very impressive effort!

Thank you very much for sharing your hard work!
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

This is the true Revolution Day we have waited for so long. Holger already announced it some years ago, now it's here. :D :D :D
This is a day for all Scope users who don't use this platform for mixing reasons only, or use it like a usual Soundblaster card.
Even if you're not into Modular because you don't want to fiddle with modules, connections, circuitry and other delicacies - you can use ScopeSync patches like simple VSTs in your DAW. Tweak parameters, simply record automation envelopes in high resolution, use VST presets - and all with Scope quality.

To be honest, when Sharc introduced his BCM system, I didn't have a clue what in the world the benfits could be to have modules without the usual GUI with pots, faders and so on. No direct parameter control will give unclear, confusing layout. Async connections will result in timing/sync problems.
I have to admit this was terribly near-sighted.
Exactly the opposite is true: smaller modules w/o GUI will improve clarity and comprehensivity of a Modular patch. If needed, you can open the respective module panels. Designated colors and module names also enhance patch clarity.
By having the ability to use the dsp atom's async in/outputs we have much more possibilities.
And: one intention of the whole BCM system was to invite you to use hardware controllers like Behringer BCR/BCF2000, so instead of having a static sound you 'live' with the patch and explore it with the controler's knobs.

And now the icing on the cake: ScopeSync.
I'm quite happy that those two guys (and not to forget one girl) had got together and made something really really great.
Thousand thanks Will and Simon.

yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

thank you guys. I look forward to exploring this in great detail.
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

very interesting ........
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

:o
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Great ! Fantastico !
I'm finaly going to test it with very clear stuff !

I agree with Roy for BCmodular : at the begining, I was not convinced by those empty GUI modules but now, by trying - studing - tweaking, I realize how huge is the benefit ! I hope SC will be grateful with the modular new dimension !
I must also say that if you have any difficulty with any BCmodular thing, you can ask your question on the BC forum and you'll have a detailed answer very fast or even a new module to respond to your specific problem ! Where is it possible else ?

And now we have ScopeSync for all vst DAW with which a big unknow space opens, up to us (simple users) to find all uses for it. I already have thousand ideas...

Big thanks to W_ellis (simon ?), Shark (Simon ?), Roy (Simon ?) who already made some excellent BCmodular modules and la dame (a girl called Simon !?) who participated and all other one of the BCmodular people !
Last edited by JoPo on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

Hats off for the great work!!!
And thanks so much for doing this.

Love the tutorials by the way!
A short video where you show ScopeSync in action would probably nice to quickly show people what they can do with it (e. g. load a Modular Patch in SCOPE and the ScopeSync plug-in in the DAW and then record some parameter automation data from a hardware controller).
neuromantik

Post by neuromantik »

Much respect!! Especially the tuts on youtube, so important!! :)
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

JoPo wrote:Big thanks to W_ellis (simon ?), Shark (Simon ?), Roy (Simon ?) who already made some excellent BCmodular modules and la dame (a girl called Simon !?) who participated
Just for clarification: besides some beta-testing I wasn't involved into ScopeSync development.
And one more thing: I'm neither Simon nor Will. :lol:
Regarding the other avatar/real names I leave it to Will and Sharc to solve that puzzle or not (sorry for causing confusion). Only thing I can say is: there's no girl called Will! :lol: :lol:
For detectives: look closely at the Scopesync website, bottom, and you'll probably get some hint.
neuromantik wrote:Much respect!! Especially the tuts on youtube, so important!!
Totally agree. The videos are excellent!
Holger Drenkelfort

Post by Holger Drenkelfort »

I'm ashamed, this is truly fantastic! My respect to all of you, guys! Good things, open and useful, will unfold. Thank you, also in behalf of Creamware and S|C, what it was and what it is.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

wow!!! I am floored and speechless !
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I'm particularly glad that Holger has posted, as it reminded me to give credit to him and Sonic|Core for agreeing that we could include Scope libraries in the package. Without this, we wouldn't have been able to release the software as Open Source under the GPL licence.

I can unmask the third protagonist in ScopeSync as my girlfriend Jessica, who not only helped with some of the coding, but also tolerated months of (for her!) tedious conversations about encoders and async communications. She even came along to the ScopeSync summit, when we met Simon in a pub in Glasgow earlier this year!

Re. tutorials, I have a few more planned, including one that is in the process of being edited, but keep the ideas coming about what you'd like to know more about. Also, we're tracking our roadmap using Github Issues, so feel free to post feature requests (or bugs) there, or comment on the ones we've already raised: Github

Cheers,
Will
shayart

Post by shayart »

Great news!!! :)

Great to hear XITEting things are going forward :D
asktoby

Post by asktoby »

This looks amazing.
I haven't found requirements anywhere: Is it compatible with Scope 5.0?
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

It should be compatible with all versions of Scope, although we've not tested on very old versions. Certainly Scope 4.5 onwards and Scope SDK 4.0 onwards.
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

P.S. That reminds me, we should probably put up an FAQs page on the site at some point ;)
sharc

Post by sharc »

Thanks to everyone for their enthusiastic response. It's been a huge but very rewarding task to get to this stage of development.

We're only just at the starting line though. What the project really needs to succeed is for the Scope community to simply give it a spin and let us know your thoughts or indeed contribute some modular patches and SDK devices which make use of it.

I'd also like to second Will's words of thanks to Holger whose assistance at the Scope side was instrumental in making ScopeSync what it is :)

Exciting times are ahead.

Cheers,
Simon
vascomusic

Post by vascomusic »

This is sooo cool :o
This really opens up a new dimension for Scope.
Thank you and congratulations Will, Simon, Jessica (and also Holger) !

We'll looking forward to the ScopeSync future.. :)