Sonic Core's big 4 for 1 software items sale

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Sonic Core's big 4 for 1 software items sale

Post by garyb »

YiannisK wrote:What's the difference between proTone and Bowen's ProOne?
Is it the extra filters?
yes, extra filters, but it's mainly that they are modeled on different period Pro Ones.
dante

Post by dante »

Pro One has SSM, CEM, Highpass, and Bandpass filters and extended arpeggiator and step sequencer.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

yes the proone first used emu generation ssm filter technology from the emu modular

dave smith actually propped up emu sales from using there poly keyboards for the prophet 5 they did this for a number of years

then decided that they had payed enough to emu

emu made the EII from a and d from the prophets from the prophet5

when dave smith stopped using emu they decided to go with mr curtis and the cem chip brand and all later revisions of there keyboard even to this day use cem filter and vca chips

curtis died a few years back but before he died he designed a new fab process filter chip for dave smith and this filter chip is used in all of the new instruments

in fact only dave smith can source these parts as he has a life time agreement with onchip for them i cant even source them for repairs

now the ssm chip they have a smoother response the cem are gritier and have better res feed back compensation

now most of the cem lowpass filters could easily be made into hipass and bandpass filter types by the config connections using different resistors and caps

in john bowens version he just adds the features of the different revs of the production run

i like both as they both have a different sound
snadge

Post by snadge »

Damn, damn and damn, my internet has been down for a month so missed this totally.

Hehe, just checked, it runs until 12th, so just in time for it, great stuff.
dante

Post by dante »

jhulk wrote: in fact only dave smith can source these parts as he has a life time agreement with onchip for them i cant even source them for repairs
Have you tried getting any from Wine County Sequential ?

http://www.winecountrysequential.com

If they are still repairing they must have access or a stockpile of all parts.

In fact there are 3 CEM components here :

http://www.winecountrysequential.com/page6.html

I don't see any mention of the Curtis filters on the new prophets pro 12 and pro 2, although the Pro 2 has 2 new Analog filters 'inspired by' classic Prophet 5 and Oberheim sEM.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i was on about the new generation of the onchip dave smiths instruments

not sequential

i would not buy from wine country as they hike the prices i needed 2 3360 dual vca and he wanted to charge me $150 each

when i can get them for £35 each in europe

and i repair sequential in uk as i have done upgrades to prophet vs both keyboard and racks and pro one with aftertouch controllers

the new onchip chips which still use the cem name for dave smiths synths

are a much later fab process that is rohs compliant no pb or bad chemicals used

the old fab processes most have been dismantled from there locations some have been set upin others

but a lot of rca and other old makes are now no longer made like the ca2080 and the dual ca3280 and other chips used in analog electronics are gone for good these ota amps are used in vca osc and filters and discrete versions are now having to be made which take up 10x the space of a custom ic
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

pro12 uses cem filters and vca

the sharc chips are used for the oscillators and control this allows a lot of flexibility as its hybrid it has a analog output section

a sharc chip can have many digital outputs so it is easily set up to have a voice per digital channel then use a 24bit dac per digital channel

which then goes to the filter chips and vca all control voltages again done by the digital as cv voltages using spi interface
dante

Post by dante »

$150 what a ripoff they must be drinking too much wine down there @ Wine County :lol:
Yogimeister

Post by Yogimeister »

dawman wrote:I have owned and used the PCM70/PCM80/PCM91 (AES/EBU) used a 480L on every road gig and most recordings and the MPX-1 seems to cover the older PCMs and 480L pretty well.
One more question on the reverb spinoff discussion ;)

I am considering an MPX1 vs. PCM70 ...

What would you recommend in terms of sound and in terms of usability ?

asktoby

Post by asktoby »

No! Only just noticed this thread. I would have jumped on that deal! :(
I've subbed to their newsletter so hopefully won't miss the next one.

Dropping the price of the 5.1 upgrade bodes well for 6, no? Or is that vain hope?