Bitwig Studio, the new DAW software

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

vascomusic

Bitwig Studio, the new DAW software

Post by vascomusic »

As known, Bitwig Studio will be released on March 26th, 2014
Price: $399,-

"What started as a big internet hype two years ago and after intensive beta testing, will become reality on the 26th of March 2014: Bitwig Studio.
Bitwig Studio is the new music production and performance system, Bitwig Studio is the next DAW revolution.
Why is Bitwig the next DAW revolution ?
It distinguishes itself from other DAWs because of the more natural way to create music and sound, with a focus on flexible editing tools and a super-fast workflow."

Homepage:
http://www.bitwig.com

NAMM 2014:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1wH0jpGtw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqnNkTvEJSk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4rqBChakKk
erminardi

Re: Bitwig Studio, the new DAW software

Post by erminardi »

it seems very similar to Ableton..
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
vascomusic

Post by vascomusic »

erminardi wrote:it seems very similar to Ableton..
The 3 founders of Bitwig, previously worked as developers for Ableton.
They left Ableton to start their own sequencer and company.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Do you know what are the differences from the programs?
Ableton is for sure a well mature Live-DAW, more than Bitwig.
Which features has Bitwig over Ableton?
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

erminardi wrote:Do you know what are the differences from the programs?
sessions, cells, and arrange mode similar to Live, clip arrange similar to Cubase (I think), and a smidgen of clip editing similar to Samplitude.
Looks promising for a rev. 1 product, but is geared more towards idea creation, sound design, etc. and still lacks some features for mix/mastering.

Here's the long Bitwig thread over on KVR.

G
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Darn, since there's so much hype of bitwig, I was hoping some under-the-table relations between S|C & Bitwig might appear out of nowhere :) And then bitwig could be native, OR have a fully integrated and powerful DSP (SCOPE) system as well. I guess I was just dreaming of Julian spending his time integrating audiobiscuit into another german company's DAW.
Last edited by jksuperstar on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Thanks siriusbliss for the explanation :)
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

jksuperstar wrote:Darn, since there's so much hype of bitwig, I was hoping some under-the-table relations between S|C & Bitwig might appear out of nowhere :) And then bitwig could be native, OR have a fully integrated and powerful DSP (SCOPE) system as well. I guess I was just dreaming of Julian spending his time integrating bitwig into another german company's DAW.
I dream from years a customized version of Cubase with an integrated mixer and DSP effects from Creamware-SonicCore!
vascomusic

Post by vascomusic »

erminardi wrote:Do you know what are the differences from the programs?
Check this review:
Bitwig Studio 1.0 vs. Ableton Live 9 Suite
http://www.bitwigtutorials.net/reviews/ ... leton.html
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

From what I've read and viewed so far, it's unclear how well BW is setup for routing out to / in from 'external' hardware - such as for use with Scope devices - with this initial release.

G
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

It looks interesting. I'm not so sure I'm troubled with Live enough to be searching for alternatives to fix problems I don't have, but hey, if it's well put together, why not. From a marketing perspective though, it looks like the immediate differentiation is kinda weak. Then again, I get the feeling they're really focused on appealing to existing Live users. That's not the whole pie, but still a big slice, so maybe a wide enough demographic. I'm not such a good barometer tho since my DAW needs are pretty basic.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

The main point IMO is "Linux compatible"! :)
Can you imagine if i.e. big brands as Steinberg and Adobe will develop also for Linux?! Just to mention a few.
Of course this would be a magnificent scenery but almost impossible because of the well-known monopolistic policies of MS and Apple.

I started to love this Bitwig... also cheaper than Live.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I guess I can sort of see the Linux compatible part. Though it's still hard to say that Linux compatibility is the key thing that is troubling Live users, or anybody in the world really.. Of course, to have a Live-like DAW in Linux for me is prettty sexxxyyy.

Maybe it's time to do yet another Linux audio DAW test run again to see if Bitwig makes it work. Though ideally a Linux DAW would be VST compatible while being able to take advantage of LADSPA and ALSA plugins or whatever the current VST equivalent in Linux is. But then the usual scenario is that I find all the LADSPA and ALSA stuff so repulsively shitty to use that I just go back to using VST only. And at that point, I'm questioning whether I need to be on Linux at all.. But that's a different topic.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

For a rev. 1 product entering a glutted DAW market, I think they've done a good enough job to at least humble the market a little.

G
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Personally, I'm just glad Ableton has some competition. I really hope bitwog gets some good external hardware control going on, since Ableton really sucks at it.