Korg to produce ARP Odyssey in 2014

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Eanna

Korg to produce ARP Odyssey in 2014

Post by Eanna »

Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
erminardi

Re: Korg to produce ARP Odyssey in 2014

Post by erminardi »

8-9 months to spare money!!! :o
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I am buying this whatever the cost (well up tp £3000 anyway). Holy shit, one of my all-time fantasy synths. I am playing all my Billy Currie/Gary Numan Odyssey solos for the rest of the night.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

:lol:
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I hope they realize that a real analog filter will make all digital Oscillators sound better.
If that is too expensive to implement, maybe they'll see how Solaris processed internally @ 96k is the industrys' finest.
I won't hold my breath though as the big 3 have a business model to stick too.
Synths from the early days of analog, and Solaris were not created with the profit margins as a priority, but rather a great name and reputation for quality, will be interesting to see,
Will be interesting to see.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

the odyssey used a copy of the minimoog lader design then a law suit happened and they changed it slightly

its a discrete based filter as is all moog 4pole ladders so no problem creating those with off the shelf components

the osc are also descrete components and still easy to create it is based on the arp 2600 osc but is hard wired rather than semi modular of the arp2600

http://www.thehumancomparator.net/

they cloned it

i doubt that korg will have any problems in recreating it with there massive a and r department and having 1 of the 2 original designers

they have all the expertise they need

lets hope they use a good quality keybed either the yamaha metal keybed or the fatar as the j wire keybeds were crap
Marco

Post by Marco »

Nice to see that Korg has fun with creating the prodessy. . . . I have one from sonic core, good enough for me :D
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Oh well, am somewhat deflated by the outcome. Mini-sized, quite expensive for what it is. I may pick one up second hand, unless they do a full-size kit.

I think Korg missed a few tricks here. Having bought the Moog Taurus 3 I have seen what can be done with original designs with modern extras. Of course the T3 was mighty expensive, but a bit more thought wouldn't have added much cost.

Here's what I would have done:

(Minimum): full-size, internal PSU, detented sliders (if they're not already, no proper demos yet)
(Would have been nice): dedicated vibrato LFO, MIDI Out/Thru (shared)

See, not asking for anything ridiculous. The things that Korg got right was including the different filters and the different portamento modes.

Right now the MS-20M + SQ-1 looks more interesting to me.
borg

Post by borg »

andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

No way?! :o
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Yeah, the lack of the midi out and sliders cc it's very bad for us in PlanetZ...
Maybe is better to wait the Behringer move, because they claim a "full midi" implementation.

Korg Arp seems to be out for 1400$ but the street price would be lower, as usual.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

erminardi wrote:Yeah, the lack of the midi out and sliders cc it's very bad for us in PlanetZ...
Maybe is better to wait the Behringer move, because they claim a "full midi" implementation.

Korg Arp seems to be out for 1400$ but the street price would be lower, as usual.
It´s $999.- ...

But wait for the Behringer to get full sized keys and hope for the sliders and switches (as well as keys) transmitting MIDI.
That would be the ideal controller for the Prodyssey IMO,- and you´d have a retro bass/lead synth for your hardware live rig in addition.
Possibly all at a lower price too.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Marco

Post by Marco »

i wait for behringer, i love behringer against all the Mainstream, must be Roland korg or Moog.
but for now i have the prodessey, a good way to survive :o
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!