Scope NSA Offer 2: All Zarg synths (Solaris, Quantum Wave..)

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Eanna

Re: Scope NSA Offer 2: All Zarg synths (Solaris, Quantum Wav

Post by Eanna »

Hi, the idea of setting the number of voices to zero is to allow you reliably have an approach for discovering how many voices your DSPs can handle per preset. I need to have this going on myself, since I'm on 21 DSPs of PCI cards, so I don't have the same DSP power as ye Xiters. I've started to put the voice count in my preferred presets in brackets at the end of the preset name in a separate preset bank file.
And indeed, I am not a live-player of Scope stuff. Some day, maybe if/when I get an Xite, but I'm not lugging out a desktop PC with PCI cards now - for many obvious reasons. The few synth bits I play in my little band, I happily use my Micron for latched sequences (I'm the bass player mostly)...

If you're setting up a Scope Project for Live use, I think you should consider setting up many slots with Zarg synths, all routed to your mixer, each with a voice count of zero. If the voice count for a device is zero, then the device won't be loaded in your DSPs.
Then, to change presets, you set to voice count of your currently-playing device to zero, and increase the voice count for the 'next' device to whatever you need.

Alternatively (and I haven't tried this), setting the voice count to zero, then spinning your Program Change knob on your hardware device, will move thru presets quickly, without the latency of loading the DSP with that preset.

It is a strategy that may or may not work for you. I understand that it's (unnecessarily!) fiddly. But it would work.
If you're changing presets mid-song, yeah it'd be a nightmare.
Ideally, you wouldn't need a mouse for setting the voice count - but I'm not aware of any midi-controllable interface to setting voice counts in device slots...

I think the reason why you get that behaviour of noisy partially-loaded presets is because those particular synths themselves have slots for other devices. That is the power of such devices like Solaris and RD... Self-contained devices won't exhibit that behaviour. What's unfortunate is that it appears that Scope loads these 'sub-devices' synchronously - there's no ability to load these asynchronously, and then 'move' the fully-loaded synth into the DSPs that are connected to the mixer.

Given that I'm not a live Scope user, I'm not the man best place to give good advice!
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Those who are having trouble with Solaris 5 might want to switch to version 4 of Solaris since it runs a little better on XITE-1 than the newer version. Atleast it did for me.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

i got to much problems to load dsp rountime " Can´t find DSP file JBCtrlSh VxD . Please check installation "
you have to run Scope as administrator. (I had the same problem.)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote:Hmm that is very strange. Nothing wrong with the install from what you described, I assume you loaded the DSP's and SYS files in their appropriate folder too?
definitely YES.
yayajohn wrote: -Also just to make sure you're not trying to run the 64bit Zarg files? (just covering all the basses)
no 64Bit files in use for sure ...
yayajohn wrote: - I'd send you my project but there really isn't anything special about it. Just some ADAT i/o and ASIO i/o and a couple of midi filters etc. so I don't think that's going to help you.
It would probably an idea you shoot me a PM w/ your project, I load it as it is and when any DSP or SAT errors come up,- I make screenshots.
If not, the better it is.
Then, I do the same w/ my project and we´ll see what happens.

It´s sometimes the simplest soluton fixing things. :D
yayajohn wrote: - The only other thing I can think of is I just recently reinstalled my whole Xite-1 files. I ran into some sort of cross wire/corruption when I tried to run the STS on the Xite and PCI at the same time and they wouldn't load again on either side until I reinstalled the Xite software. So you might want to try that. Maybe even uninstall the whole Xite files and install fresh though you'd have to spend the extra time reloading all the extra DSP's, SYS etc from the Zarg .zip's?
(don't forget to save your presets though)
That's all I can think of to do. Maybe someone else has something else for you to try.
Welcome exclusion principle ...
Because my XITE-1 and SCOPE 5.1 runs well with all the other stuff I load, even there were some slight workarounds necessary too loading the big project I described above,- I don´t think I have to re-install SCOPE 5.1 all new.

Nonetheless all your advise is highly appreciated and I´m now happy to know placing the TTF and Vxd folders in the SCOPE application folder was the right choice (for me, that was only logical ...).

I´ve also read Roy Thinnes last post in this thread ...
Well I´m on Win XP Pro SP3 and there´s no need to run something in admin mode at all.
That´s why I love XP.

I hope John will read this thread because there might come up some interesting info.

When I did my 1st test w/ these devices it was late and I was too tired to make scrennshots w/ the error messages, then convert to jpg and post here.
I will do that soon and once I have the time to dive deeper into the devices,- maybe tonite.

B.t.w.,- when talking Red Dwarf EX, I understand it needs the RD II modules too.
I have placed these into the folders according to the installation manual and according to jhulk´s advise here in the forum,- " effects>stereo".

Like Jimmy, I have some customized folder structure for presets, organized according to developer and device p.ex. and resulting in some folder path depth similar to "Presets>Zarg> subfolders w/ device names",- so I wondered what folder path depth is the max S|C SCOPE devices and/or 3rd party developer devices allow, that also dependent from the SDK being used to construct these devices.
Any info on this ?
yayajohn wrote: btw I am like you. I like to play my synths live too. The other night I cooked up a really beefy polysynth sound and it time warped me back to the late 70's/early 80's. I was up half the night......didn't get thru too many presets though.....doh!

Dan
Good to know Dan !

Even it sounds like complaining, I´m more or less satisfied w/ the ZARG NSA deal because I got the smaller Zargs back for my PCI card and now have these on PCI and XITE-1.
Not to mention what I got when buying the 4in1 NSA before.
Both were a great combo deal for me and now I hope we´ll see another one for Sixstring and whatever available I don´t have.

But now, my intention is to make as much usable on Xite-1 as possible for me because 1 15DSP PCI card only for ZARG is also not the ideal DSP configuration and it´s not worth transfering keys back to PCI now.
If I´d have 2 14 or 15 DSP boosters, that would be a different story, but I don´t have and XITE-1 is what I want to use in future.

Bud

P.S.:
Interesting observation as a side band effect ...
I accidently had some double-clicks on DSP files during copying these into their appropriate SCOPE folders ...
These opened NI Reaktor !!! :roll: :o
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Bud Weiser wrote:
It would probably an idea you shoot me a PM w/ your project, I load it as it is and when any DSP or SAT errors come up,- I make screenshots.
If not, the better it is.
Then, I do the same w/ my project and we´ll see what happens.

It´s sometimes the simplest soluton fixing things. :D
ok you got it, i'll send it to you right away. I'll load Solaris and QW and keep them at 1 voice.

Bud Weiser wrote:Nonetheless all your advise is highly appreciated and I´m now happy to know placing the TTF and Vxd folders in the SCOPE application folder was the right choice (for me, that was only logical ...).
No prob, wish I could help more.
Bud Weiser wrote:But now, my intention is to make as much usable on Xite-1 as possible for me because 1 15DSP PCI card only for ZARG is also not the ideal DSP configuration and it´s not worth transfering keys back to PCI now.
If I´d have 2 14 or 15 DSP boosters, that would be a different story, but I don´t have and XITE-1 is what I want to use in future.
If I didn't already have 2 Scope Project card alongside my Scope Pro, I'd be looking for a couple of those bigger boards too. There are some good deals to be had and I've had some great success with the dual config. (Thanks again to Dante for pioneering that :wink: )
Bud Weiser wrote:Interesting observation as a side band effect ...
I accidently had some double-clicks on DSP files during copying these into their appropriate SCOPE folders ...
These opened NI Reaktor !!! :roll: :o
I would guess that your NI programs use a .dsp file extension too?
If you want to view that in XP, right click - select "Open" - click "Select the program from a list" - you will see a list of programs - there is a check to either always use that particular file extension with one of the listed programs or you can go and find another program to use. I always have to use this when Itunes wants to hijack all of the music on my computer......of course WDM player wants to to the same. Maybe you already knew that though so I'll shutup.
Take care
Dan
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Just installed the Zarg Package this week end.

After a small guess and try game to identify key name/plugin name association:
- Zarg Master Class aka Q-Wave
- Zarg Rotor Seq aka Rotor Ex (this one was easy)
- Zarg Orion Custom EX aka SOLARIS this one I remembered from the Solaris plugin history

Only issue I got so far is about the Solaris with error message about two missing DSP files "Minimax Filter Mod" and "Async SW On if NE 0" on my old good Scope 4.0 SDK system.

Any idea ?
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Solved, I found the missing files in the Scope SDK folder. :)
Just wonder why on earth they were not on my fresh install normal Scope folder :-?
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

yayajohn wrote: Try not to switch presets until the synth is completely silent.
I hope you get them to work, they really are great sounding synths although not set up for live stage performance unfortunately.

Dan

Just picking up on a small note here but I got to say I love messing around with recording the sounds from dsp junking code in between preset changes :evil: Much fun and inspiring stuff can happen!
husak1970

Post by husak1970 »

roy thinnes wrote:
i got to much problems to load dsp rountime " Can´t find DSP file JBCtrlSh VxD . Please check installation "
you have to run Scope as administrator. (I had the same problem.)
thanks men, i got to try :)