Scope NSA Offer : Scope 5.1/Modular IV/Prodyssey/Protone

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

jhulk

Re: Scope NSA Offer : Scope 5.1/Modular IV/Prodyssey/Protone

Post by jhulk »

the pro 5 should be a polyphonic pro one but there are differences

the keyboard being the biggest one the pro one keyboards are crap

the pro5 uses a emu poly keyboard and was there biggest revenue will making the emulatorI/II

then theres the revs the pro 1 uses ssm filters

but the pro5 uses both ssm emu filter design and curtis cem filters

so the pro5 can be smooth ssm and brash curtis cem

i prefer the curtis chips as they did a lot more designs

the ssm chip is used in lots of synths by korg and kawai

the latest chips used by dave smith instruments is the last cem design before the designer died he made it for dave smith and is used in there range of analog synths the new prophet 12 uses sharc dsp for all its osc and voices but uses the same cem filter ic as the evolver

my waldorf wave uses a dual cem filter but my uwave 1 uses the ssm as does the ppg

so its in your revs choice of the pro5
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jksuperstar wrote:Bud, you seem to have had a lot of the great synths over the years...what's your take on the differences between the Pro-1 and the Prophet-5?
Well, talking about the original hardware synths and about different Prophet5s in 1st order,-

My 1st Prophet 5 was a rev 2 and IIRC, it was not that reliable as my Prophet 5 rev3, which I buyed later, was.
There was also no MIDI in my rev2, the rev2 indroduced more tuning drift and had SSM chips.

The rev 3 had CEM chips, more memory locations, MIDI and worked in edit mode always.
Better auto tune routines and microtonal tuning came in addition.
For a studio session artist and touring musician these features were a big plus while purists say the rev 1 and rev 2 models sound better.

When I had access to a real SCI Pro One, I wasn´t that impressed because I already owned Prophet 5.
My impression was, it´s basically one voice of the Prophet 5 plus some gimmicks I didn´t need at that time.
BUT,- the modulation routings are a bit different when comparing the frontpanel layouts and prints.
http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/ ... rofit5.png
http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/ ... ne-big.jpg

In a Prophet 5, all modulation source amounts run over the mod-wheel except filter-envelope and osc-B amount in the poly-mod section and you don´t have a dedicated LFO source amount pot,- the wheel is.

Pro One offers a dedicated LFO mod source amount pot and the option to choose from wheel or direct routing (using that amount pot)

Prophet 5 had CV INs for VCF and VCA,- Pro One has only for VCF,- both have for VCOs and Trigger anyway.

What I also didn´t like was the Pro One´s partially plastic case !
I never buyed anything plastic late 70s/early 80s ... :lol:

The "Glide" (portamento) might be different in Prophet 5 and Pro One.
Pro One offers 2 modes and in Prophet 5 the Glide is only active when setting the synth to unison.
There are no modes, just only the glide rate.

For me, it needed a long time learning there were also different Pro One models out there,- different revisions like there were for the Prophet 5.
Anyway, I didn´t care in the past, but now, having the S|C DSP models available, it´s much easier to choose different synths by reason of subtile differences and when wanted.
For me, it´s a dream coming true.
Since I have XITE-1 I´m able to run also these devices which were too DSP hungry for a single PCI card and in a combo together w/ other devices.
jksuperstar wrote: Not the obvious stuff like the sequencer, etc, but the sound and its uses? I've already noticed the extra grit in the bass...anything else worth exploring in this little monosynth?
Well, the sequencer doesn´t interest me too.
I think the drone mode might be interesting when using live as well as the different glide modes might affect the sound and/or playing style too.
The user selectable LFO amount by wheel or amount knob is definitely a plus for live performances.

@jhulk:

I think, my Prophet 5 rev 3 had a j-wire contact Pratt Read keyboard built in.
I´m not sure but I think it was,- so please correct me if I´m wrong.
That keyboard wasn´t reliable as a spring contact Pratt-Read keyboard in a Minimoog D was and is.
The gold plating on the Prophet 5 keyboard´s busbars was also very thin and worn out soon.
I had to replace busbars relatively early.

best

Bud
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

yep the j wire is the biggest problems with these keyboards

i thought the rev3 had the same pratt reed as the memory moog spring loaded

but maybe you got a rev 3 that had the jwire type as there are 2 different keybeds

the pro one only had the j wire

i got rid of mine years ago very un reliable compared to oberheim synths

but then again the moogs were un reliable to i just did a complete refit of a memory moog i had to add gold sockets and better quality silver wire ribbons becuase of bad tuning because theres no velocity or after touch keyboards i fitted a semi weighted fata keybed with a doepfer control thta goes to the midi interface which gives me velocity and aftertoch via the kenton internal midi cv kit

it makes the memory moog a totally different machine

the only prophets i own now is the prophet vs rack and the prophet 3000 sampler

i had a prophet vs keyboard but the after touch kept failing which was pita but the racks dont suffer from this

the scope dsp versions are good very close but the filter models are done by math and as any one knows its the components around the filter and opamps that add to the sound

john bowens prophet plus and his pro one emulation are great with the additional filters that the pro one never had

dave smiths morpho is the new pro one and you use your own keyboard to trigger it
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Bud & jhulk, Thanks for your time, and the history lessons! For me, it's good to put these emulations into context, what features stood that model out from others, and maybe even what it's niche was at the time. Kinda like how a trumpet evolved from a bugle...it gives context for the sound of the instrument. I'm finding the Pro-1 sounds better layered with other instruments, as a sub-oscillator as it were.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

cost the pro one was affordable by most the pro5 was not and still is not

but there are better cheaper alternatives to the pro one which cot £1000-1600 depending on condition

you can get a 4x morpho for £500-600 which is like having 4 pro ones on a keyboard for a 3rd of the cost

the waldorf pulse which has 3 analog osc is a killer machine and second hand can get for £200-300

no the minataur and minibrute both are good analogs with better features than the pro one

and the dsp versions are excellent in that you have poly

every one wanted the poly and to get it they had several of the same device being triggered by an analog poly keyboard which generated the cv and gate which is how you do it on real modular synths

thats why samplers like the mirage did so wellk as there start price was $2000 then went down to $1000

where the EII was $10000+

lots of stuff was popular because of cost as the big synths was only ever owned by big rock and pop stars or very rich people as you needed to take out a morgage to get one
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Well, thanks to Sonic|Core, I have the pro-one to play with in my XITE :) And more importantly (to me) an ARP Odyssey!

Time to get some MIDI configs for all these synths so they can talk to CTRLR. Maybe if we did this methodically in a thread somewhere, it can be divided up in the community and done in no time.
dante

Post by dante »

Excellant well I don't have to write this review in ScopeRise from scratch, you guys doing it for me :)
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

well if you need any help with the ctrlr panel let me know as i have done a few and did one for the sharc modular 14bit cc control
wayne

Post by wayne »

Phew, gig money finally through, scored this even though it's the 22nd here.... love that dateline-extended deadline :)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

dante wrote:Excellant well I don't have to write this review in ScopeRise from scratch, you guys doing it for me :)
:wink:
wayne

Post by wayne »

Made coffee, sat back down - keyfile!

Ladies & Gentlemen - GaryB :D
Analog_Minded

Post by Analog_Minded »

i had no idea they had a deal going on.... well not going to pay 239 now, to bad
Hope they wil reopen the deal ;-)
hubird

Post by hubird »

make sure you're in the mailing list of S/C, if possible.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Or maybe ask if you could still benefit from the offer AND be added to the mailings list.
hubird

Post by hubird »

yeah, S/C is known as flexible in this regard...and they need the mony.
Analog_Minded

Post by Analog_Minded »

I mailed them.. lets see what they can do. How could i missed this... still kicking myself against the head.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Modular IV has given me wings and I would pay another 350 for it if ever asked.
The 3rd party support is the most gratifying experience I have ever had from purchasing software.

To the DSP Warriors, Scope is their weapon,
Modular............
A way of life.

Professor Assaf Dar
2010 University of Resonance
Telaviv, Israel.
Shamk

Post by Shamk »

I just saw this offer when i got the NSA offer 2 .... life sucks sometimes ... :(
Creamware Scope 5.1 (Scope Power Pulsar 1.01|3 x Pulsar II|Pulsar I|Syncplate), scope abuser since 2004.
Asus Z87-K C2|Intel Haswell Core i7-4770|Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX - 2 x 4 Gb Ram (1600 MHz)
13 MV @ Masterverb Test
Shamk

Post by Shamk »

no chance to have this deal for the latecomers ? :(
Creamware Scope 5.1 (Scope Power Pulsar 1.01|3 x Pulsar II|Pulsar I|Syncplate), scope abuser since 2004.
Asus Z87-K C2|Intel Haswell Core i7-4770|Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX - 2 x 4 Gb Ram (1600 MHz)
13 MV @ Masterverb Test
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Maybe just ask kindly