Haven't upgraded Reason in a while? Now might be the time!

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

irrelevance

Haven't upgraded Reason in a while? Now might be the time!

Post by irrelevance »

Some may or may not know about the rack extension offering available for Reason 6 and above. There haven't been any offerings so far that have got me breaking out my wallet and Reason 7 also seems a bit of an anti climax even with the midi output. But there have been stirrings and hints of development from the Expert Sleepers camp! Now this is interesting!

http://vimeo.com/67795248#

Don't know how close this is to release but it's happening. CV modular control madness from Reason to S|C modular 8) :o Can't wait!
ShogunSpy

Re: Haven't upgraded Reason in a while? Now might be the tim

Post by ShogunSpy »

That's good news Silent Way are a really cool company..you never know maybe Scope 6 ?
dante

Post by dante »

I can vouch for the PX7 Rack Extension. There's others I haven't tried yet but its a great concept. Also will give Reason7 a test as main DAW with Scope now that it (Reason7) has MIDI out.
53E7

Post by 53E7 »

I haven't considered Reason in a while. The last time I checked it didn't have the ability to record audio tracks, meaning you could only sequence the instruments within Reason. Has that changed? If so I'd like to try it too.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

53E7 wrote:I haven't considered Reason in a while. The last time I checked it didn't have the ability to record audio tracks, meaning you could only sequence the instruments within Reason. Has that changed? If so I'd like to try it too.
Yes you can I think this was implemented in Reason 6 they combined Record.
I sold my copy never liked the sound of the synths ! And the new SSL modelled mixer takes up so much room on the screen that it effects workflow
if anyone could lone me there USB key I have a track that needs to be finished in reason not to sure if you can do that ..legally speaking
P
dante

Post by dante »

Reason has audio recording and MIDI out and some great plug-ins. The synths can be improved by pushing through Scope FX. For example, some REX beats through DAS Legend really pump. Use the Reason Line6 plug on jangly guitar tracks, and Reason Alligator is great for creating rhythmic pads from Thor. Complimented with Zarg Pro-Wave for bass/analog pads and Mattomat/MiniMax sequences then chuck Celmo's Tape Echo on vocal breaks and all add up to make a real treat for dance/electro pop productions.

https://soundcloud.com/hitfoundry/mille ... vid-steele
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Reason is fantastic, and as we can see, expanding.

Loved propellerhead since rebirth.

But I'm so entangled with cubase and scope the only thing I find I call up from reason is Dr rex/Dr octorex.

I wish propellerhead would release it as a vst (so I wish for the opposite they are now doing, becoming completely self contained).

But yeah. Now you could choose to use reason as your central daw/sequencer.
dante

Post by dante »

Liquid EDGE wrote:But I'm so entangled with cubase and scope the only thing I find I call up from reason is Dr rex/Dr octorex.
Liquid, being into electro, you gotta check out Alligator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-aZuN9haaw
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

dante wrote:
Liquid EDGE wrote:But I'm so entangled with cubase and scope the only thing I find I call up from reason is Dr rex/Dr octorex.

Surely mattomat controlling filters and gates can do that?

It is very cool though.
dante

Post by dante »

Liquid EDGE wrote:Surely mattomat controlling filters and gates can do that?
That's a bit like saying Alligator is redundant because you have the matrix and some synths. Or saying a TR909 is redundant because you have samplers.

Alligator is primarily an audio processor, although it can throw out MID/CV control signals as well. But the point is the interface and the speed at which you can traverse through alternatives to find best match results. The track I posted used both Alligator AND Mattomat but the results I got from each are as totally different as the approach I take with each.

For just one example I would use Mattomat more for driving monophonic sequences but for chopping polypads I would go straight to Alligator.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

dante wrote:

Funny I've never got around to using this device! Always reach for either modular/flexor/sequencer/pattern lfo modules or absynth as fx. Will check it out though variety is always good :)
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

ShogunSpy wrote:
53E7 wrote:I haven't considered Reason in a while. The last time I checked it didn't have the ability to record audio tracks, meaning you could only sequence the instruments within Reason. Has that changed? If so I'd like to try it too.
Yes you can I think this was implemented in Reason 6 they combined Record.
I sold my copy never liked the sound of the synths ! And the new SSL modelled mixer takes up so much room on the screen that it effects workflow
if anyone could lone me there USB key I have a track that needs to be finished in reason not to sure if you can do that ..legally speaking
P
A rework on screen UI would be most welcome I have to agree. I always use rewired so I can bypass the awful sequencer UI which is why I wasn't fussed with the midi out implementation, however if new RE midi utilities get released I would likely upgrade from 6.5.
dante

Post by dante »

The sequencer in Reason is great for controlling Reasons Rack machines, but yeah, you can bypass the Reason mixer and mix in Scope instead - way better result.

The only time I would use Reason's mixer is when making a big orchestra out of 30 NNTX samplers. Submix that in Reason but then pass to Scope STM mixer as a single stereo channel.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Well the automation is quite nice. Grab a control wiggle it and record it simple as that! But I hate having to constantly resize the screen real estate between sequencer, rack and now as ShogunSpy mentioned the mixer. I rewire into Ableton using session as arrangement view sequencer isn't great either...I know fussy eh lol I think the cubase linear sequencer is hard to beat but as I say variety keeps things interesting/fun/inspiring :)

Do my mixing in cubase (currently on ver 7 on OSX version 6 on pc) as it's just far easier/quicker than mixing in scope. I suppose I could just load a scope mix project and run it through and I have in the past but I don't like relying on midi for automation.
dante

Post by dante »

You do have dual screen doncha ? I mix with Cubase on one screen, Kontakt, Reason and STM2448 on the other.

Then just hit the program icons in task bar at bottom of screen1 to change between STM and Reason.

Probably 3 screens would be better, but I wouldnt say that's all just Reason's fault. There are shortcuts that make Reason easier now such as pan and level on rack audio channels, and others I haven't even investigated.

But thats true of Cubase as well, I havent put the time into learning the screen shortcuts or done them on Scope either like Jimmy has.
garyb

Post by garyb »

why not automate Cubase and still mix in Scope? if it's just fader adjustments, those are often best and most quickly done with a pair of scissors and the volume handle.

sorry for the hijack...
dante

Post by dante »

Yes, scissors and volume handles are my main audio edit tools on Cubase, then comes variaudio :) But I'm also curious to try out that Mackie functionality on the DAS mixer, if I can figure out how to load the sysex into the BCR2000 :-?
Last edited by dante on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

no dual monitor setup here...no space for that right now. All mixing duties are done in cubase mixer fx and all, wouldn't exclude scope for mixing in the future but it's not where my heads at right now :P
dante

Post by dante »

Ladieees and Gentlemen - Welcome to the Reason show which never ends.....silentways in Reason :

http://youtu.be/7tSrcx9M_IU
silentway-front
silentway-front
silentway-re.jpg (46.17 KiB) Viewed 4992 times
silentway-rear
silentway-rear
silentway-rear.jpg (29.58 KiB) Viewed 4992 times
Ankyu expert sleepers
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Suprised how quickly this was released as I only just received a beta!
The RE SDK doesn't provide a way for loading calibration files so not sure how this cold impact on calibrating for scope modular at present.