An audiofanzine article about Solaris

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

An audiofanzine article about Solaris

Post by JoPo »

A long and positive article about Solaris & John Bowen, but in french ... I don't know if it exists in english. There is some sound example. Arr.. If I had the money !

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-numer ... 5+mai+2013
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dante

Re: An audiofanzine article about Solaris

Post by dante »

A great story the opening paragraphs. One realizes the struggle John went through to bring this thing to market, over 6 years of sacrifice just from the start of the h/w Solaris, not to mention all that went before it. It stands now as a tribute to his willpower.
dawman

Post by dawman »

When asked by developers at MESSE if JBowen would accept the challenge to go up against VSTi synths in a battle of sound, he said I refuse the challenge, as WIndows/Mac synths were no challenge, but he'd be happy to beat up on them some more.
dante

Post by dante »

:lol: If VSTi developer's want a Messe challenge - they could go listen to the stands starting at the low/medium end of h/w synths where you had the Korg Volcas, Nords and Novation. After listening to that lot they can then maybe think about whats really even in the same class as Solaris and check out a Pro 12 or something. :roll:
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

dante wrote::lol: If VSTi developer's want a Messe challenge - they could go listen to the stands starting at the low/medium end of h/w synths where you had the Korg Volcas, Nords and Novation. After listening to that lot they can then maybe think about whats really even in the same class as Solaris and check out a Pro 12 or something. :roll:
dawman wrote:When asked by developers at MESSE if JBowen would accept the challenge to go up against VSTi synths in a battle of sound, he said I refuse the challenge, as WIndows/Mac synths were no challenge, but he'd be happy to beat up on them some more.
:thumbs down: on both counts! :o

Did John really say that I wonder? If so then he has really painted himself into a corner. Of course there's no point in a/b blind tests because if you really want Solaris hardware (and I would certainly want) then whats the point!? The vst vs dsp debate is mute imo and just seems like an unnecessary dig (or maybe a back hand complement) at skilled native devs. Or maybe just a way of justifying the spend? There are more than enough resources nowadays to get nice sounds from vst's.

Also when did 'class' have anything to do with creativity :cry: Mo money mo class?

All that aside would love to own a Hardware Solaris.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, i think there's some of Jim's hyperbole in there, but have you HEARD the Solaris?

there really aren't any vsts that can compare. that doesn't mean that vsts are useless and sound bad. it just means that the hardware Solaris is that big and fat and awesome sounding, to use some hyperbole myself. everyone has their own opinions about these things, but i've heard a real Minimoog and a real OBX and a real Prophet 5, 10, and Pro One. there is not a single vst that can even come remotely close in impact, power, lushness, grind, sweetness or musicality of those instruments. not one. there are certain sounds that a computer can do better than those synths and hardware synths have their own drawbacks, but in an apples to apples comparison, there is none. none. it's not about sharcs vs cpus or anything silly like that. it's about a purpose-made tool vs a leatherman. if you'd really want to use the letherman to drive a phillips head screw over a top quality mechanic's or carpenter's driver, more power to you.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Been checking out production photos on flickr from John been great to see the various design revisions that have taken place over the years. Yes I would love to get up close and personal with a hardware Solaris. The limited production numbers of the synth alone will make this a much prized bit of gear and the Sonic core, Waldorf, Bowen pedigree wont hurt either I'm sure ;-)