October 2012 Sound on Sound : article on Ferrofish A16 Mk II

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

babaorum

October 2012 Sound on Sound : article on Ferrofish A16 Mk II

Post by babaorum »

There is an article this month on the Ferrofish unit in 'Sound on Sound' magazine. :wink:
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
dante

Re: October 2012 Sound on Sound : article on Ferrofish A16 M

Post by dante »

Eanna

Post by Eanna »

I read the article in Sound on Sound in my local newsagents.

Sound on Sound are known (by me, at least) for looking on the bright side! They rarely report on bugs in synths, for example, or else are happy to ignore or gloss over them.
However, they couldn't help but recommend this... What you get for the price is remarkable - nothing like it (16/16 @ 192kHz MADI) in its price range - and they did their best to graph the frequency responses and calculate SNR and THD, which resulted in some very impressive results. The converters punched above their weight, and I think that came across in the article.
They even popped the case, took photos, and remarked on the quality of the construction. Felt like one of the better Sound on Sound reviews...

There really is nothing to match it for 32 channel of I/O, and nothing at all matches it in 1U format... If only Xite had a MADI host interface, they'd be perfect partners... Altho I guess that since Scope doesn't support 192 kHz, and the DSP load would be quadrupled from normal 48 kHz.... Would keep Xite busy!
But, for ADAT or SMUX, an Xite with the A16 would be 2U of the best out there...
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Don't forget about that 2U with Solaris hooked up to it via AES/EBU.....
Juergen is an excellent engineer and sofware developer, I am looking forward to an SOS review on the B4000+, with demos that reveal it's Hammond sounds even better.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Doesn't look like they actually listened to the thing ...
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
spacef

Post by spacef »

>>>>
When it comes to ADAT-only products, there’s comparable-quality competition from the likes of Focusrite, but although their Octopre MkII Dynamic
>>>

Comparable quality ?????
I have the focusrite, and the quality is "ok", but a few kilometers (miles) below the A16 Ultra. You just can't compare the dynamics, color, etc of those two units... my be they look alike on paper, but in the real world, it is different standards. When i read the quote above, i wonder if they listened to both units. because it's a no brainer to me. I got my a16 repaired and everything has been moved to the a16, nothing is connected to the octopre anymore, but i keep it for the preamps if i ever need them, and as a backup unit. If the MKII had zlink in addition to adat, i think i would already have an mkII :-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Yeah, it looks as if they measured some data, and based on these data, they made conclusions about the sound quality.

That is "listening with the wrong part of the brain".
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.