Email from SC: G.O.S.T Mattomat for real time composing

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Email from SC: G.O.S.T Mattomat for real time composing

Post by dawman »

Yes for a Bank w/ Minimax like I have. The First 8 or 9 sounds were very sequenced typed sounds with short decays.
But I only have one pattern I know of, and it's a cool one. I slowed it down to learn the lick so I could play it at 120 and then play other parts to go along with it. Really tight sounding stuff.
But more Presets and Banks would be a big help as they act as small lessons.
dante

Post by dante »

Liquid EDGE wrote:So the preset list is the pattern bank. (for the moment). Thanks for the tip. I wonder how instant changing a preset is and if it effects the running of mattomat when playing as slave or master.
Ideally if you sent a preset change to Mattomat it would play out the current sequence before changing to the next one, therefore it wouldnt matter if you programmed the changes a bit early. Maybe for Mattomat v2, having an internal 'song' mode that changes patterns for you within the device would be good - a'la Redrum in Reason (or Rebirth) etc where you have a 4 x 8 matrix of patterns ( say A1 - A8, B1-B8, C1-C8, D1-D8 ) and you can step sequence the pattern changes, or even 'record' them.

This would allow Mattomat to be master, with song pattern changes stored inside it, or work like preset list, being triggered from outside.
Song Matrix from Redrum
Song Matrix from Redrum
song_matrix.JPG (4.53 KiB) Viewed 4695 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yes, the preset changing is very similar to the Phrase Sequencing Roland used, so I am understanding this better now.
I'd like to have licks stored, where I can press 1 key and then summon them while performing.
Licks that are pretty difficult to play.
An example would be that old song Lucky Star by Madonna. That lick was super fast but perfect as a trigger.
I can see this will be a great live tool as I rarely use the lowest and jighest notes on my 88 note Privia XS3.

Nice.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

dante wrote:
Liquid EDGE wrote:So the preset list is the pattern bank. (for the moment). Thanks for the tip. I wonder how instant changing a preset is and if it effects the running of mattomat when playing as slave or master.
Ideally if you sent a preset change to Mattomat it would play out the current sequence before changing to the next one, therefore it wouldnt matter if you programmed the changes a bit early. Maybe for Mattomat v2, having an internal 'song' mode that changes patterns for you within the device would be good - a'la Redrum in Reason (or Rebirth) etc where you have a 4 x 8 matrix of patterns ( say A1 - A8, B1-B8, C1-C8, D1-D8 ) and you can step sequence the pattern changes, or even 'record' them.

This would allow Mattomat to be master, with song pattern changes stored inside it, or work like preset list, being triggered from outside.
song_matrix.JPG
Yeah something like that is what i had in mind.

Still havn't had time to get to the studio. Got a very busy week and doesn't look like i'll get to the studio untill next sunday or monday.
Hopefully changing the presets will be fine, but knowing that midi can be a bit odd sometimes i wonder if any glitches would happen.
I was just having the thought that changing the preset at bar 1.1.0 that maybe a midi note being sent to mattomat on bar 1.1.0 could get missed. But yes if the sequence played out before the patern switched then this shouldn't be a problem.
Will give my feedback as soon as i have had a play with the preset changing sir tgstgs has mentioned. Because if that works there is no need for them to code in all this bank preset stuff into mattomat.
But again you could just record the mattomat midi info of the whole pattern into cubase (or whatever daw) build another pattern in mattomat record in cubase again and then use the blocks of midi info created by mattomat in the cubase sequncer being sent to the synths or whatever mattomat was conected to and controlling (if this makes sense to anyone i don't know, never confident in my explanations of things).
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

tgstgs wrote:yes please tell me if it works for you_

we need feedback here_

fe.
would a next step be to automize the preset list
or do we have to code a new storage handling instead of the presetlist avail;

do people use this feature to send progrchange bank select at all
--------

?? vibes
Yes ofcourse.

I still must stress what a jolly excellent device this is. Mkeul and G.H.O.S.T :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :wink:
dante

Post by dante »

Liquid EDGE wrote:But again you could just record the mattomat midi info of the whole pattern into cubase (or whatever daw) build another pattern in mattomat record in cubase again and then use the blocks of midi info created by mattomat in the cubase sequncer being sent to the synths or whatever mattomat was conected to and controlling (if this makes sense to anyone i don't know, never confident in my explanations of things).
Yep you could build songs in Cubase from recorded Mattomat sequences no probs. Same as you can do with Reason and Cubase. But with Reason you have the option of building the song inside the devices as well (which I think makes a better 'live' option). Invariably, I build patterns and songs inside Reason because the GUI tends that way, and is the traditional 'techno' way.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

tgstgs wrote:yes please tell me if it works for you_

we need feedback here_

fe.
would a next step be to automize the preset list
or do we have to code a new storage handling instead of the presetlist avail;

do people use this feature to send progrchange bank select at all
--------

?? vibes
:) :)

HEY. BANK AND PRESET CHANGING WORKS PERFECT AND INSTANT.
NO NEED TO WASTE YOUR TIME DOING ANY ADDITIONAL STUFF OR PROGRAMING.
Just the reverse graphical improvement when less than 32 steps are used.
mateo555

Post by mateo555 »

Hi all Mattomat users,
i am planning to create a new additional, free set of Mattomat/Xite synths presets. If you like to try an input on that, you are welcome to suggest ideas of what should be included. Warm regards, Matthias Keul
dawman

Post by dawman »

I look forward to those as I am still struggling with the Mattomat. I learn from reverse engineering the instruments/presets better than any manual......
Great Instrument you guys made though... :wink:
dante

Post by dante »

mateo555 wrote:Hi all Mattomat users,
i am planning to create a new additional, free set of Mattomat/Xite synths presets. If you like to try an input on that, you are welcome to suggest ideas of what should be included. Warm regards, Matthias Keul
Maybe a set for different synth than MiniMax such as Prodyssey. Mapping to a particular stock synth or instrument is the way to go, with the preset in Mattomat matching a preset on target instrument. Like a U2 echo like lead rhythm coming out of 6 string ?

I also liked the preset that created a rhythmic pad, rather than just arpeggios, need more o' those for techno-pop.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I'd really like a step by step way to record into Mattomat with a click if possible.'
I am trying to use Assaffs Clock to Click and Alfonsos Simple Metronome to no avail.
This would be such a nice tool live once I figure out the various Master Slave uses, and how to record im time w/o using a DAW....

Danke
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Yeah a set of presets for each stock synth that comes with the xite-1 would be good.
dante

Post by dante »

dawman wrote:This would be such a nice tool live once I figure out the various Master Slave uses, and how to record im time w/o using a DAW....
Danke
I think you have to use RecSteps dawman, Section 15 of the manual :

"RecSteps is a function to actually record a sequence via keyboard into Mattomat. To do so, you have to deactivate all buttons, including Sort, in the Input Menu ( see Chapter 20 ) Because Mattomat doesn`t have a Metronome function it is recommended to use this RecSteps function while Mattomat runs in slave modus to any kind of click or beat, making it possible to hit the right note at the right time. According to the speed and bar registration it might take a while until you have made a perfect recording."
dawman

Post by dawman »

Then I shall trying with clock to click or even Reaper if need be.

Ankyu.
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

you dont need anything for recstep_

setup 2 mattomat instazes;
1 triggering the eds16 just for a beat to have a accustic click to stay in time;
2nd for recording thats it__

for live you should NOT use any hostbase sequencer course of its latency_
mattomat runs on the dsps it has about 14 samples latency from in to output at 44k1Hz sr_
this is much faster than some hw synth avail;

sync mattomat to an external HW clock if you like or take its own clock_

good vibes
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ankyu....

VIbes From Tahoe..
IMG_1258.jpg
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Back to banks and presets( patches)

I want to automate this. I can't figure out how to automate bank and patch changes at the moment in cubase
Mattomat behaves perfectly doing this manually. But yeah, I want this recorded in cubase to drive mattomat preset ( patch) changes.

Maybe if this is not possible to do in cubase then yes please. Maybe a next step would be being able to automize the preset list within mattomat.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Cracked it.
Program change can be edited in the midi edit window.

Ok mattomat is perfect, always was. Sorry for being thick. Lol.