Wow! Open Scope!

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Immanuel

Wow! Open Scope!

Post by Immanuel »

Open Scope - Scope 6 - looks great!! Go look!
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
the19thbear

Re: Wow! Open Scope!

Post by the19thbear »

so.. can you have pretty much any code (including normal vsts) running on scope dsps? (provided that you have the source code for the vst)
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Im hoping this is the case, but will it make the vsts sound better?
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

depends on how well the code is written

most use asio any way

but i think that some would opt to have the filters of the scopes in them than the shameful emulations of some vsti
David

Post by David »

Open Scope! All these announcements are amazing. This platform keeps on giving :D
Casper

Post by Casper »

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!! :o :o :o :o :o

Excellent! Who can I kiss and give hugs ?
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

the19thbear wrote:so.. can you have pretty much any code (including normal vsts) running on scope dsps? (provided that you have the source code for the vst)
I guess this means most of the sound processing should be totally or partially rebuild using the Scope DSP atoms while keeping more "standard" code for GUI handling ...

The best would be to have most sound processing done on the DSP though to avoid PCIe bandwidth trouble ...
dawman

Post by dawman »

It does sound pretty amazing but the SpaceF GOST Scope Bundle for 379 Euro is insanely cheap.
I already have these except the Convolution EQ, so I will make an offer for that plug in seperately, but if you don't have the money , send a letter to Obama, he will give it to you.... Tell him you're poor or really rich though, he has no use for men /women who play by the rules or work for a living.
Scope 6 might use up the high head room I have left on my XITE-1.....
frokka

Post by frokka »

How does licensing work on Scope 6 preliminary edition?
Is it free for all?
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Just to clarify : there's absolutely no way to run compiled Intel code (VST, VSTi etc) on the sharcs - I see this move as something towards developers.

They rewites the Scope applications to use the JUCE framework which is cross platform compatible. This doesn't mean we'll have OSX and Linux support tomorrow (far from it), but SC have made it so much easier for themself by using JUCE. All the graphics, events etc. are handled by JUCE and not the current Creamware system from many years ago and it's so much easier to find help with an almost standard API as JUCE. SC still needs to write code for the specific platforms regarding drivers and DSP management.

You would still need the Scope SDK for the designing of the actual circuit, but you can now use JUCE for the GUI.

Now developers have access to the DSP hardware through the Open Scope API, so developers can integrate the Scope DSP hardware directly into their applications. It's not yet clear how much control the new API gives developers.

Since JUCE is a commercial framework, developers that have intention of releasing commercial Scope plugins would need a JUCE license.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Makes thing clearer, thanks Warp69 ...

But one could ALSO use this open scope for collaborative project ? No ?

Juce is free for open source use.

The commercial licence is only for commercial use.
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

HUROLURA wrote:But one could ALSO use this open scope for collaborative project ? No ?
Im not sure what you mean?
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Warp69 wrote:
HUROLURA wrote:But one could ALSO use this open scope for collaborative project ? No ?
Im not sure what you mean?
HUROLURA, You are both saying the same thing. Juce can be used for non-commercial, open source devices without a licence, and as far as i understand it is the same thing with Open Scope.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Warp69 wrote:Just to clarify : there's absolutely no way to run compiled Intel code (VST, VSTi etc) on the sharcs - I see this move as something towards developers.

They rewites the Scope applications to use the JUCE framework which is cross platform compatible. This doesn't mean we'll have OSX and Linux support tomorrow (far from it), but SC have made it so much easier for themself by using JUCE. All the graphics, events etc. are handled by JUCE and not the current Creamware system from many years ago and it's so much easier to find help with an almost standard API as JUCE. SC still needs to write code for the specific platforms regarding drivers and DSP management.

You would still need the Scope SDK for the designing of the actual circuit, but you can now use JUCE for the GUI.

Now developers have access to the DSP hardware through the Open Scope API, so developers can integrate the Scope DSP hardware directly into their applications. It's not yet clear how much control the new API gives developers.

Since JUCE is a commercial framework, developers that have intention of releasing commercial Scope plugins would need a JUCE license.
Thanks for the clarification!!

Greg
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Something I haven't seen anyone talk about yet is the fact that it seems S|C is willing to allow other manufacturers to create SCOPE DSP hardware (probably for a licensing fee or something?).

From the Open SCOPE web page:
implement the SCOPE DSP hardware in your system, whatever it planned to be:
a guitar effect rack, a synthesizer, a digital mixer, an IO interface or (as we did) an XITE
I find that most interesting...It's like what they did with John Bowen, the ASB boxes, or maybe Ferrofish's new B4000. But, for others interested as well...that's a major help for small companies to develop a hardware platform themselves! Very cool.

I see for the past year, S|C has indeed been VERY busy.
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Warp69 wrote:[...] This doesn't mean we'll have OSX and Linux support tomorrow (far from it), but SC have made it so much easier for themself by using JUCE
Did you happen to catch this from the audiobisquit website (who appear to be creating a SCOPE powered DAW??
Concept
Parseq is designed to be as open as possible with the core application developed by AudioBiscuit and the possibility for users and 3rd party developers to extend it's functionality through a custom plug-in format (for example to create new integrated sequencers or channel strips for the mixer) and an extensive LUA scripting engine. It is developed with cross platform compatibility in mind, so it will run on Win7, OSX and Unix systems.
Granted, the product isn't done yet, not do they say this compatibility will be ready at launch, but their direction did not read unclearly. If they can get this thing running on my Ubuntu Laptop, It's time for me to plunk down for an XITE to be sure!
spacef

Post by spacef »

Awesome annoucement... Scope going to be like Reaktor... really a nice nice move ;-)
suddenly, i'm more impatient than before to get my hands on xite ;-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

Warp69 wrote: Since JUCE is a commercial framework, developers that have intention of releasing commercial Scope plugins would need a JUCE license.
Not so sure about the need of JUCE, since Sonic Core says "To use JUCE is one way to create GUIs for OPEN SCOPE applications or plug-ins" (http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/ ... cle&id=335).
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

Interesting News!

on the other hand, i loved the gui design via scope SDK which was always fine for me and good looking. Maybe a little bit limited but on the other hand you could do a perfect looking surface for a device in about a day or so.

I`m curious if the scope 6 version will run on a scope pro board too, because i`ve not yet managed to jump on xite-1.
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

hifiboom wrote:Interesting News!

on the other hand, i loved the gui design via scope SDK which was always fine for me and good looking. Maybe a little bit limited but on the other hand you could do a perfect looking surface for a device in about a day or so.

I`m curious if the scope 6 version will run on a scope pro board too, because i`ve not yet managed to jump on xite-1.
Yeah, I like the current GUI as well.

According to the following post, SCOPE 6 should run on PCI cards as well:
http://www.the-new-world-of-music.net/f ... 967e110418