Wow! Open Scope!

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

twoB

Re: Wow! Open Scope!

Post by twoB »

sunmachine wrote:
Warp69 wrote: Since JUCE is a commercial framework, developers that have intention of releasing commercial Scope plugins would need a JUCE license.
Not so sure about the need of JUCE, since Sonic Core says "To use JUCE is one way to create GUIs for OPEN SCOPE applications or plug-ins" (http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/ ... cle&id=335).
yes, Scope 6 uses JUCE but you don't have to.
"- Any C++ library (e.g. JUCE, QT, VST GUI etc.) can be used"
sharc

Post by sharc »

Wow this really is HUGE!!

Lots and lots of potential.

iOS - Did I hear someone mention iOS? Now there's a platform that's primed for a DSP boost.
dawman

Post by dawman »

YISH313z wrote:Im hoping this is the case, but will it make the vsts sound better?
There's hope for those waspy thin wafery sounding 1's and 0's.......
KVR will go wild at the forum there, until they hear they might have to break down and spend a buck.... :D
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

sharc wrote:
iOS - Did I hear someone mention iOS? Now there's a platform that's primed for a DSP boost.
Then LOOP for iOS, C4T for iOS ... :)

I still wonder how to connect the Xite-1 to an iPad though ... :D
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

This is much better news than i was expecting for scope 6. fantastic!
dante

Post by dante »

Does this sum it up ?

. Open Scope basically liberates Scope from the Project Window.
. The only way to do that previously was to use XTC mode and integrate with a sequencer (albeit bound by the model of existing Scope devices).
. Now it would be possible for a host developer to write (or modify existing) sequencer app (a'la ProTools) on Host that used XITE DSP as its audio engine.
. The integration between sequencer GUI and DSP would be a lot more seamless, versatile and reliable than XTC.
. But the audio engine for this sequencer would still be running 21065 code on the Scope hardware in the absence of a 21369 based SDK.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Regarding last point, we just have no idea so far about that ...

For the rest it would be a good sum up.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:
YISH313z wrote:Im hoping this is the case, but will it make the vsts sound better?
There's hope for those waspy thin wafery sounding 1's and 0's.......
KVR will go wild at the forum there, until they hear they might have to break down and spend a buck.... :D
hehe.... yeah, it's a little hard to crack Scope plugins and distribute them on torrent sites.

There's already a couple people complaining about 'the 5 people that bought Xite', and 'should I pull my Pulsar II out of the dust-bin?' type of crank-shots.

People are still getting their heads around this.

This whole open-Scope deal is the next step AFTER VST's and even ASIO, since they've been around for a decade now anyways.

This is indeed going to be a revolutionary year!

Greg
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

dante wrote:Does this sum it up ?

. The only way to do that previously was to use XTC mode and integrate with a sequencer (albeit bound by the model of existing Scope devices).
. Now it would be possible for a host developer to write (or modify existing) sequencer app (a'la ProTools) on Host that used XITE DSP as its audio engine.
. The integration between sequencer GUI and DSP would be a lot more seamless, versatile and reliable than XTC.
. But the audio engine for this sequencer would still be running 21065 code on the Scope hardware in the absence of a 21369 based SDK.
Not really - the above is quite limiting. The #1 point should be something like this :

- Open Scope basically liberates the Scope hardware from the Scope application.

All previous versions of the Scope application talk directly to the hardware, but SC have decided to make a new Open Scope API - basically a communication layer between the software and the hardware. Scope 6 will communicate with this layer and not directly as before - the very good thing is that SC have made it possible for anyone (who have interest in developing) to get access to this new layer (can communicate with the hardware).

* One could make an application similar to the rack setup in Reason with completely different plugins - where on the back you do all the routing. You could start this application without starting the Scope application - it's completely separated. You might never use Scope 6 again or switch between them.

* Another could make a large modular synth which transforms XITE to a large hardware modular synth - no Scope environment in sight.

* DAW makers could integrate the Scope hardware into their applications - not running the Scope plugins, but their own plugins on the hardware.

And it's not limited to the above - It's about giving the Scope hardware multiple functions.
rhythmaster

Post by rhythmaster »

dante wrote: . The integration between sequencer GUI and DSP would be a lot more seamless, versatile and reliable than XTC.
This is for me the main issue and what is announced with Parseq is so good news.
The 2,5 years wait since the launch of XITE-1 was worth hopefully.

But when will the updates and Parseq arrive our systems?

Harry
XITE-1, Cubase Pro 10.5 - WIN 10 64-bit
http://www.seismofunk.com
astroman

Post by astroman »

HUROLURA wrote: I still wonder how to connect the Xite-1 to an iPad though ... :D
that's why I mentioned Jazzmutant's Lemur (in general discussions)
It's been a proprietary hardware device setup/controlled via TCP protocol by a PC/Mac based Software
The hardware is discontinued in favor of the more affordable iPad (mass production)
Now the iPad with the Lemur App reacts exactly like that former hardware and is controlled by the very same software.
Jazzmutant coded the graphic for the IOS device plus a layer for communication.
(most of the latter probably reusable from their former approach)
imho it's a very good demonstration of functionality.
Instead of Lemur's GUI elements just imagine the real values (with Scope internal resolution) and you get the idea.

cheers, Tom

ps: the point isn't that the iPad is a fancy or stylish device ...
it's dead cheap and responsive as hell :D
bosone

Post by bosone »

astroman wrote: ps: the point isn't that the iPad is a fancy or stylish device ...

DEAD CHEAP!?!?!??!?!!?
600 euro!?!?!?! :o
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

bosone wrote:
astroman wrote: ps: the point isn't that the iPad is a fancy or stylish device ...

DEAD CHEAP!?!?!??!?!!?
iPad 1's are going for $100 on eBay.
iPad 2's will be cheaper if/when iPad 3 comes out.
...and so on...

Lemur's approach is great. It would be nice to have iPad interfaces to different sections of Scope.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
astroman

Post by astroman »

bosone wrote: DEAD CHEAP!?!?!??!?!!?
well, you may have missed that a Lemur (similiar sized touch screen) was at least 4 times as much ? ;)
(I remember 2.5k Euro)
just yesterday I browsed through my favourite maps (located on the iPad).
Dunno how much I have, but at least 150 - this would add to 750 Euro in a bookstore, 20 on iPad.
It saves me an MPC like controller, lets me remote admin servers, helps with network diagrams.
Even features pen input of handwriting and drawing and a million pages of PDF documentation.
Plus the usual home entertainment stuff with music and video.
Ah - and the Fairlight CMI is so damn 80s with a pen, great experience :D

Jeez... I never got more out of a 700 Euro investment (64GB version one)

cheers, Tom
astroman

Post by astroman »

siriusbliss wrote: Lemur's approach is great. It would be nice to have iPad interfaces to different sections of Scope. ...
yeah, it's a great prototype to study - I'm shure it won't take long.
It fits perfectly with the Open Scope approach, too.

cheers, Tom
sharc

Post by sharc »

HUROLURA wrote:Then LOOP for iOS, C4T for iOS ... :)
The thought had crossed my mind previously. I've been really surprised by the quality of audio apps appearing on iOS devices - Sunrizer, Animoog and Nanostudio to name a few.

I've also got a work colleague living in the block next door who's an iOS developer. Only problem is he knows nothing about audio applications and I know next to nothing about coding. Looks like I'll be starting to learn soon enough though :D
HUROLURA wrote:I still wonder how to connect the Xite-1 to an iPad though ... :D
From what I gather it could (and probably will) be done relatively easily using a method similar to what Tom suggested.

What would be even more awesome is if someone decides to develop the first budget DSP powered audio/midi interface for iOS based on Open Scope :o
dante

Post by dante »

Warp69 wrote:
dante wrote:Does this sum it up ?
Not really - the above is quite limiting. The #1 point should be something like this :

- Open Scope basically liberates the Scope hardware from the Scope application.
All previous versions of the Scope application talk directly to the hardware, but SC have decided to make a new Open Scope API - basically a communication layer between the software and the hardware. Scope 6 will communicate with this layer and not directly as before - the very good thing is that SC have made it possible for anyone (who have interest in developing) to get access to this new layer (can communicate with the hardware).
Thanks for clarification Warp. Will be interesting to see what capabilities the layer provides.
voidar

Post by voidar »

A zero latency DAW is very interesting.
dante

Post by dante »

ParseQ - ( ScopeTools HD ? ) - no ASIO required :o
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Yes, no asio. Is as if they took the graphics face off of scope, threw in a midi sequencer and split vdat up to have a layout like a typical daw, then slapped on a new interface to hold it all, with no latency.

This for me means I can sell this MV8000 midi sequencer(I dont use the sampler and the intention was to get the vga option), and just live in the Scope world exclusively, and then if I feel like it, as there are a few VST's that I am fond of mainly, Nebula by acustica and Xhip by acidose, i can throw those in there.

D*mn it cant wait till this is released. :)