Wow! Open Scope!

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

faxinadu

Re: Wow! Open Scope!

Post by faxinadu »

btw - moore's law is more an observation/prediction than an actual law ;) also it talks about cpu speeds and related technology but NOT about DSP, that observation certainly does not apply to DSP....
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Does anyone know if Scope 6 is still happening in any form at all? I get that it takes as long as it takes, and no one wants to discuss things that could change, but a sign of life about continuing development of the platform would be nice. I've been saving my pennies in the hopes to get an XITE-1 soon(ish).
garyb

Post by garyb »

no Scope 6.
it was abandoned in a big mess by mr .........

no big deal. v7 is well underway.
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

I see. Are there any details on Scope 7 that I may have missed? Searching for Scope 7 doesn't come up with anything. I'm particularly interested in the possibility of Linux support that the tools used for 6 hinted at. ...and while we're dreaming here a Thundebolt/USB 3.1C XITE adapter would be great too. :D
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

no news yet... people are working hard
Music
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

That's news enough for me, thanks!
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, there won't be any info until it's a reality.

i seriously doubt that Linux will be supported, at least not at first. just to make a new version of Scope for one operating system takes 2 or more years...SC doesn't have a team of 30 script writers. you would have to spend a whole lot more money to hire even 5 more programmers. :)
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Understood, and fair enough. Just throwing that thought into the void. :)

I've been using Bitwig on my Ubuntu laptop and being able to connect a future XITE-1 to a linux laptop or embedded device would be really sweet.

Hopefully I'll have my XITE-1 budget met and I can then contribute to someone's development salary.

Sam
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)

your dreams are not impossible, but we'll see what can actually get done.
it's likely that newer script will be used for the gui, and that would make the program much more cross-platform. if it's just about making a driver, then OSX and Linux are real possibilities. if it still take a separate version of the Scope software for each, OS, then not as likely...since i have no details at all, i couldn't say.

i can say that SC would really like to provide OSX and Linux versions of Scope.
Bovski

Post by Bovski »

faxinadu wrote:btw - moore's law is more an observation/prediction than an actual law ;) also it talks about cpu speeds and related technology but NOT about DSP, that observation certainly does not apply to DSP....
I am afraid you are mistaken about it being related to CPU Speeds It's about the number of transistors you can fit in a square inch. It was updated in 1975 from doubling the transistor count every year to doubling it every 2 years.

Just because DSP's haven't taken advantage doesn't mean they couldn't they are essentially a bunch of digital transistors on a bit of silicone.

ADSP-21065L's can be picked up for less than £6 each so a 14DSP board can be manufactured & sold for less than the £450 a second hand board costs.

The point of my original post was just to spark some interest & it seems to have worked.
dante

Post by dante »

garyb wrote:no Scope 6.
it was abandoned in a big mess by mr .........

no big deal. v7 is well underway.
Interesting that a version no would be skipped, even if retooled internally. Well, I suppose Microsoft set the precedent ...
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Since we're talking about it, one other question in case anyone might know the answer...

Will there be a way to talk to the Scope application via an API or similar programmatic hooks? I would be happy if I had to purchase the SDK to enable such behavior.

One of the other things I was looking forward to was JUCE's JavaScript engine. As a web developer (and one who has been playing around with touch-web-based midi interfaces) being able to potentially connect a browser-based application into the Scope environment was very exciting.

I'm sure others have their language preferences, and JS being able to communicate through midi is great by itself, but the thought of being able to trigger events, or even set up relationships between Scope audio objects (i.e. routing, value mapping, etc) from a web application opens up a whole new world for device interfaces and accessing the Scope environment.

Sam
Last edited by dehuszar on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

bovski point is that law doesn't apply in the real world to dsp. it gets stronger of course but doesn't double so quickly like pc generations :)

also manufacturing cards factors in a ton of stuff other than the raw price of a chip, it isn't as easy as saying the raw chip costs X so you can sell it for Y.
Music
garyb

Post by garyb »

dehuszar wrote:Since we're talking about it, one other question in case anyone might know the answer...

Will there be a way to talk to the Scope application via an API or similar programmatic hooks? I would be happy if I had to purchase the SDK to enable such behavior.

One of the other things I was looking forward to was JUCE's JavaScript engine. As a web developer (and one who has been playing around with touch-web-based midi interfaces) being able to potentially connect a browser-based application into the Scope environment was very exciting.

I'm sure others have their language preferences, and JS being able to communicate through midi is great by itself, but the thought of being able to trigger events, or even set up relationships between Scope audio objects (i.e. routing, value mapping, etc) from a web application opens up a whole new world for device interfaces and accessing the Scope environment.

Sam

probably not and JUCE is a big part of the reason why v6 was a no-go.
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Yeah, that makes sense. As someone who has never purchased any Scope SDK's, does the SDK give you access to event and routing details? i.e. could I use the SDK to create a Scope device that would allow me to map a web-based application to the framework?

I don't know any C++, but I'd definitely be interested to try and learn enough to wire something up if such a thing were possible.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'm not sure exactly what you want, but that doesn't seem to be what the system was designed to do. ask in the development forum. guys who are using the SDK would be better able to tell you if what you want is possible.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

dehuszar wrote:Yeah, that makes sense. As someone who has never purchased any Scope SDK's, does the SDK give you access to event and routing details? i.e. could I use the SDK to create a Scope device that would allow me to map a web-based application to the framework?

I don't know any C++, but I'd definitely be interested to try and learn enough to wire something up if such a thing were possible.
yes and no. with just the sdk no, if you code your own dsp modules and dlls then anything is possible granted you really know your stuff and tools.
Music
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Thanks faxinadu!

I may start trolling the development channel then. :)
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

dehuszar wrote:Yeah, that makes sense. As someone who has never purchased any Scope SDK's, does the SDK give you access to event and routing details? i.e. could I use the SDK to create a Scope device that would allow me to map a web-based application to the framework?

You can write external dll code, which can make use of any async signals. Sync is a no-go for dll-interfaces. I.e. no sound can be routed through dlls.
Even MIDI is quity critical.
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Cool. Thank you everyone for your answers. Looks like there's a lot of info to run with in the development channel. I'll post any further questions (of which I'm sure there will be many) over there.

Sam