PlanetZ status and future plans

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

What should happen here?

Leave everything the way it is (maybe with minor changes/reorganization)
96%
Migrate all the data/users to another site where it can be more actively managed
1%
Shut it down- it's done! (Exodus to other forums)
3%

Total votes: 74

John Cooper

Re: PlanetZ status and future plans

Post by John Cooper »

Thanks for the replies.

I do appreciate your consideration for my time/availability. If it ever becomes too much, I'll let you guys know and we can make a plan to migrate the site elsewhere.

Meanwhile, I'll continue hosting the site, and doing the usual maintenance, upgrades, security, spam-fighting, etc.
But as I said above, I won't be available to focus much on the site-design, nor the content here. I probably won't see a question/comment buried in a thread somewhere- so if you need my attention on something, please PM/email me.

-John
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Thank you John
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Only 40 + plus votes!? There is so much important info on these boards that I find I still regularly reference as I'm sure many do hence why so many lurkers I guess. Whatever you decide John we will support and ultimately have to live with. Love the forums as they are 8)
johndunn

Post by johndunn »

John, you've done a terrific service to the Scope community by building and maintaining this forum. But if you are no longer using Scope yourself, it seems to me that having you continue to maintain it is a bit unfair to you, and it just kicks the can down the road a bit.

So while I would *like* to see things go on as they are, it doesn't really solve the problem that a forum like this takes a time commitment from the host - a small one perhaps just now, but entropy always has its will, things go wrong - and it's gotta be better to migrate now when everything is working great than later when it needs serious maintenance to keep going. So I voted to migrate (the only vote at this point).

Is there any chance PlanetZ could be merged with Xited?
-jd
Algorithmic Arts
http://algoart.com
dante

Post by dante »

I see your point JohnD, about it being unfair.

I guess the topic of discussion could be focused around having options ready if the day came, even though JohnC may not be ready to close the gate just yet.

What would plan B be ?

By default, I would guess there would be a migration of traffic to XITED, but what else would be viable ?

I suppose theoretically, a lot more traffic could just go though XITED, but what about the searchable content accumulated here over the years ?
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Basically i voted keep as it is so not to be insulting and very much apreciate this forum. its been so, so helpful over the years. i was umming and arring about keep as is or migrate, but in no way shut it down as there is to much info and content that is still very useful, especially all the links to devices, patches etc.

But if you dont care for the platform anymore john than it would make sense to just migrate it all over to xited.org.

i do find it odd having two forums that basically offer the same thing.

this one was first and is full of content. xited.net is very new plus the fact that this place is so established it sometimes seems silly to use xited.net at the moment, though it does seem like net guy joe is fully into the scope platform and the future of the xite hardware.

i love this place and i love xited.org

planet z has more content and is in general more busy. but if you dont wish to carry on with something you yourself are no longer interested in, then just migrate it all over to xited.org

its up to you really john. and i completly respect you for what you have provided for the scope comunity. Thank you so much.

But its up to you i think, the power is in your hands.
dante

Post by dante »

One needs to think about why XITED was established in the first place when PZ already existed. Why was it going to be different? Obviously there is the hardware distinction and the fact it existed before the XITE hardware itself existed (CMIIW) and post XITE release theres also XITE content here, and XITED.ORG then opened for all Scope users (not just XITE) so has the distinction blurred ?

In a combined site, some topics/forums could still be split into PCI / XITE but 'Music' and 'Off Topic' etc would need no such distinction.

So you might get something like:

. Announcements
. XITE Problem Solving
. PCI Problem Solving
. XITE Purchase and Trading
. PCI Purchase and Trading
. XITE Devices
. PCI Devices
. Music
. Off Topic
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

What about the old "hardware synth" ASB/NOAH/Plugiator ?
What about the Modular ?

To my mind, scope is not only old PCI or new XITE ...
dante

Post by dante »

Yep, you would get all those too...my list was just an example of how some of the topics could be split between XITE and PCI - the rest would just be one.
David

Post by David »

Its a good place to be, as you say its a home. Sometimes I may be gone a while but it's good to come back to and sometimes there's a warm fire roasting when I do. Merry Xmas and many thanks
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

A merger with XITED seems unlikely at this point. There's a huge amount of content and users here, dating back over a decade.

The easiest migration path, when the time comes, is to just take the entire SQL database and forum files, and move them to a new server.

I do hear your point about entropy, and kicking the can down the road :) The basic maintenance isn't too much to deal with, but if there comes a time when larger scale changes are needed- that'll be the time to migrate.

Thanks again,
-John
garyb

Post by garyb »

when that time comes, i'd be interested...
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Thanks Gary!
garyb

Post by garyb »

:lol:
no John, thank YOU. :lol:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Wow, I don’t know how I let this one pass in front of me without answering. Sorry John if I did not answer before… :oops:

I voted for it to keep going the way it is. I don’t think it should be changed in anyway honestly. I like the old tell: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, it works very well every time.

I love this forum very much, and for me, at this time and period of my life, I think of quite a few of you like "friends" already. Many things happened beyond the forum itself but that have started through the forum, where people get together for musical, software, hardware and band projects, this is really outstanding news.

I should perhaps act a little more like a moderator, I never do, I have fulfilled only the roll of moderator when you specifically asked me to do so because you are busy for some family matters and the so, but never really took the place of a moderator seriously, except that I eventually get into the manager and delete spam, but beyond this, nothing else.

This is up to you John, if you have something to tell me about this, a way in which I could help, please PM me or mail me to get your thoughts and instructions.

All I have to say is that this is THE BEST place I have been since the internet exists for music, collaboration, and anything Scope related. THANK YOU FOR YOUR KINDNESS, forever! :)
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

No problem Nestor. Everything seems to be running itself right now. System seems to be working ok, and not many spammers/trolls/etc to worry about. I'll let you know if I need your help as moderator (maybe I'll have another vacation some day!)
Thanks,
-John
dawman

Post by dawman »

Can we get a hold of Braincell and have him as a moderator....??
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

John Cooper wrote:No problem Nestor. Everything seems to be running itself right now. System seems to be working ok, and not many spammers/trolls/etc to worry about. I'll let you know if I need your help as moderator (maybe I'll have another vacation some day!)
Thanks,
-John

Thanks John :)

Sure, no problem.

Will you one day tell us a bit of what you are developing? Or is it secret? Cheers :wink:
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
fraz

Post by fraz »

You can't get rid of this forum can you? - what a terrible prospect..... :cry: .........Please keep it as it is. I don't have an Xite yet so I'm not sure if I'd be welcome at the other forum.....this place has been good for advice though it has gone quiet.......
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

z is a great place n my 6dsp is running fine.... "so Leave everything the way it is" :)