Reaper 4 is out

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

voidar

Re: Reaper 4 is out

Post by voidar »

Interesting. So you can mix at 8 bit?

What about the other options, where they put in to calm integer vs float speculants?
dawman

Post by dawman »

I just use my ears as I know there's lots of science involved, too much for peanut sized brain.
Whether or not these are accurate, I have no way to proove and really don't care, as long as I like the sound.
Some say Reaper doesn't nullify...............OMG................can't use it anymore.. :lol:
My SE-1's don't nullfy when I send the outputs back into the inputs so I'm putting them up for sale on ebay..
dawman

Post by dawman »

UNICORNS AND GLITTER.JPG
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Really digging the customisation options in Reaper and how open ended the environment seems to be. The company ethos and pricing structure is fair and definitely to my liking. I half jumped ship with Ableton live but have so far refused to use it for arrangements as it's just inferior (in my hands at least) compared to cubase 4. However I don't feel Steinberg need any more of my money and I have no use for the vsti's offered in the upgrades so now is probably a good time to look at Reaper more seriously.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Arrangements that need time signature changes, and new meters must be written in advance and are a PITA.
But Reaper is the best playback DAW and it's audio quality is excellent.
If you are going to use Reaper for audio manipulations it's tricks are endless, but it's MIDI isn;t as advanced as Cubase.
But sometimes it's better to pour your own coffee and actually work a little harder, but it is a PITA because I must know every measure and where every beat goes before I can even record the song.
So it forces me to excell in that area, and the playback is much better than any software I have ever used.
It's actually a hardware replacement.
THe customizations and video SMPTE/lock stuff is a great way to get your feet wet if you decide to move on to entire audio and video production.
But thanfully the forum has an excellent search function and many guys have great work arounds and write out code like some SDK guys can do here.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

reaper is way cool! It is alot easier to work with floating point though.. its almost impossible to clip/overload your internal signal paths. Even though you hit an "in the red/digital clip" during mixing anywhere in the project (except the master fader) you are still ok - it doesnt degrade the sound, but with fixed point= as soon as you see a red light= clipping that is audible.
Just a small thing to be aware of :)