The May issue of Mix Magazine

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

netguyjoel

Re: The May issue of Mix Magazine

Post by netguyjoel »

Much of the success will be "to be determined".
Ads need to capture an audiences attention first, followed by reinforcement to retain their interest...and (Hopefully)...eventually get them interested enough to do some research.
The market is so fluid and ad hoc at times it is hard to tell...I will be keeping tabs on the progress.
Joel
dante

Post by dante »

mausmuso wrote:Just wondering whether you will get feedback from the magazine as to how successful the ad has been?
Success might be hard to judge - I guess I am talking about interest shown
Not sure they would necessarily know, but they must monitor their readership in some way?
I would have thought the only way to measure success would be to monitor before / after sales figures.

Or, from Joels perspective, maybe new registrations at xited. Maybe there should be a 'how did you hear about scope/xite' question for new members...
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Congrats to everyone involved in this. It gives me real hope for the future of the platform to know that S|C are not only listening but actively involving their user community.
I have to ask why the novamusic website is displayed in the ad though? There doesn't seem to be any information on scope (that I can see) and after browsing two pages my short attention span won and I closed the page :(
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

irrelevance wrote: I have to ask why the novamusic website is displayed in the ad though? There doesn't seem to be any information on scope (that I can see) and after browsing two pages my short attention span won and I closed the page :(
it is there, but it does not give you a lot of information: http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?ty ... =37&mid=37

and the link from NovaMusik takes you to the german version of Sonic Core's web page: http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/ ... lang=de-DE

Neb
garyb

Post by garyb »

the reason for Nova Music's name and website in the ad, is that Nova paid for the ad in partnership with Sonic|Core.
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

I do appreciate the critique.
This project could not have been done, by anyone else but me.
As conceited as it sounds...I did this as a favor.
I got paid nothing...I asked for nothing...I expect nothing.
For years, people complained about "No marketing strategy from Sonic Core"
I, and only I put everything aside to make this happen.
This was MY idea.
The trip to NAMM alone cost me over $1,500 USD.
There were several objectives I was looking to fulfill.
1. Help Holger & Sonic Core
2. Establish relationships between Sonic Core and a few other hardware manufacturers...yet to be named publicly.

If ANYONE here thinks they could have done a better job than I did....shut the fuck up with your negative postings and do something to benefit this great platform that we all enjoy, and just stop being ungrateful (Nebukadneser) and start just thanking me.

Like I said....if anyone thinks they have the money, the connections, the talent, and the balls to do something like this, on this scale, on this level better.....show me....I'd LOVE to see what you are able to accomplish on your own.

I'm done venting....sorry for the rant...I just had to.
Joel
hubird

Post by hubird »

disgusting attitude, which is even based on a totally wrong analysis of the precedings.
N. made some good points, that's all, dumbo.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks Joel......
Ladies & Gentlemen................Hubird.
I thought you was long gone, glad to see your still lurking.. :wink:
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

The Novamusic site gives plenty of information IMO.

If people want yet MORE information, then they can fuggin' make a damn phone call - or find their way to planetz or Xited and speak to US.

Simple.

At least someone's doing something to get Scope out there!

Greg
dawman

Post by dawman »

But he hurt my feelings and he isn't politically correct..... :cry:

Trump and Joel are Fine By Me...
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

netguyjoel wrote:I do appreciate the critique.
This project could not have been done, by anyone else but me.
As conceited as it sounds...I did this as a favor.
I got paid nothing...I asked for nothing...I expect nothing.
For years, people complained about "No marketing strategy from Sonic Core"
I, and only I put everything aside to make this happen.
This was MY idea.
The trip to NAMM alone cost me over $1,500 USD.
There were several objectives I was looking to fulfill.
1. Help Holger & Sonic Core
2. Establish relationships between Sonic Core and a few other hardware manufacturers...yet to be named publicly.

If ANYONE here thinks they could have done a better job than I did....shut the fuck up with your negative postings and do something to benefit this great platform that we all enjoy, and just stop being ungrateful (Nebukadneser) and start just thanking me.

Like I said....if anyone thinks they have the money, the connections, the talent, and the balls to do something like this, on this scale, on this level better.....show me....I'd LOVE to see what you are able to accomplish on your own.

I'm done venting....sorry for the rant...I just had to.

wow man, you need to take a break or something. I'm sure everybody appreciates that you've done this in your own time with your own money, but if you post something on a forum you can expect people to actually comment on it and *gasp* maybe even provide criticism. This is the INTERWEBS you know! And really, the criticism here hasn't really been ungrateful or negative at all the way I read it.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

siriusbliss wrote:The Novamusic site gives plenty of information IMO.

Greg

Information on scope and sonic core? One the front page where an interested party might expect to see it? Sorry I missed that...Lets hear it for Joel and his big balls that can do no wrong! 8) What was the expected response and intention for the post? Praise or critique? Be happy you received both! Not bad eh?

Pointless emotional outbursts aside it's good work. Really.
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

_
good job vibes
_
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

mausmuso wrote:Just wondering whether you will get feedback from the magazine as to how successful the ad has been?
Success might be hard to judge - I guess I am talking about interest shown
Not sure they would necessarily know, but they must monitor their readership in some way?
The best feedback indication should be ... sales figures !!!

Quite a nice ad by the way, maybe the most beautyfull in all scope platform life !!!
It looks professional and should raise attention ...

Regarding the 18 DSP, the most difficult is that it is 6 old ones + 12 "almost" last generation.
The "18" figure is a bit confusing and was already when the Xite-1 was launch. Most of us thought they were 18 identical more recent DSP (something like what was used for the ASB for example) but it was actually 12 more recent models teamed with 6 old ones bringing some 28.8 GFlops figure (which compared to the 2.97 GFlops available on the Scope Pro can justify the 10x factor announced at first).
Personnaly I would have forgotten the old one to make thing more clear (just mentionning them when comming to more detailled description and explaining that they are dedicated to routing an IO management facilities without getting deeper).
Talking about 12 "last generation" DSP (which are quite similar to thoose of the UAD 2 by the way) would be easier and less confusing). It would ease price comparison as the price of a 12 DSP UAD2 setup is the price of 3 UAD2 Quad board ...
Then the Xite-1D should be announced with 4 "last generation" DSP (which can also be compared to 1 UAD2 Quad in term of DSP power and price).
On top of that the Xite range offer a large amount of high level integrated IO which make the system much more integrated as the UAD2 and provide really low latency features found nowhere else ...

So competition would already be seen as far behind ...

This has nothing to do with Joel great work on this ad but more to do with S|C communication about the product.
The detailled specs available on S|C website is quite fair but adding old and new DSP still bother me as it can just add unnecessary confusion to the message as some could afterwards complain about that (I do not know how one Xite-1 owner could complain as it provide something "cheap" for what it offers but everything is possible in our wonderfull world).

I suspect the Xite sales figure should raise now ...
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, as you mention UAD... just happened to to browse an mag report about their new FireWire release.
To be honest I was SHOCKED about the resource hog and latency figures - and still that thing (or the 2 thingies) got a really positive rating. What a BS.
And don't tell me that it's such an exquisite programming that exhausts the chips.
Compared to their version 1 GPUs those Sharcs have dozens of times more computing potential.
It's probably the most crude and brute force attempt to transfer algorithms from one environment to another.
Someone with more time (than me atm, frightening deadlines...) might want to dig out those figures and present a more aggressive comparison.
It's worth the effort imho... :D

cheers, Tom
some of my sounds on Soundcloud
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

The main thing is to at least strike some interest rather than start getting into apples-to-oranges comparisons with so-called 'competitors' in the DSP-based marketplace using some wordy techy text that would only just turn people off anyways.

I LIKE having the quotes since it makes it feel like we've been invited to join the party.

This is the day of snapshot advertising where people's attention-span is practically down to the microsecond.

Greg
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I think the description of 18 DSPs is good as is. Going into details is overkill and confusing. Besides, the 6 old DSPs where chosen for their bandwidth of inter-chip communication, while the 12 new DSPs where chosen for pure calculation (the new DSP generation from Analog Devices makes some compromises with external buses and inter-chip communication). They both have a very important role, and trying to separate them out based on age or calculation speed doesn't do the system justice.
astroman

Post by astroman »

siriusbliss wrote:The main thing is to at least strike some interest rather than start getting into apples-to-oranges comparisons with so-called 'competitors' in the DSP-based marketplace using some wordy techy text that would only just turn people off anyways. ...
that wasn't my intention (or suggestion) at all ;)
but I had considered the UAD 'power' comparable to XITE (if based on a similiar number of chips) from former press releases. Obviously this isn't the case at all.
And 24 ms latency (44.1k) via FireWire is a joke at best - certainly not the job you'd expect on an item with such a pricetag.
I don't think it should be a headline, but it's worth noticing.

cheers, Tom
some of my sounds on Soundcloud
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

I just wanted to kick some tires and light some fires...and yes...after the ad...the fire is burning well...;)
Joel
spacef

Post by spacef »

critizing helps afirming one's identity... to create is to expose yourself...
you have been exposed ;-)
keep up the good work !
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website