A16 mk ll

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

jksuperstar

Re: A16 mk ll

Post by jksuperstar »

It all depends on the coding. Some of the best anti-aliasing I've seen was in the tassman modular, but if you looked at the output, it was limited to 16-17kHz. People tend to try & put a steep filter at 20Khz, but steep filters have lots of ripple in the stopband (or passband, but that wouldn't be accepted well). Pushing the sample rate out allows for a better outcome in the end. That said, things still sound great when done well at 44.1kHz. I run almost everything at 44.1kHz now, I think the people behind SCOPE did a damn good job of things.
astroman

Post by astroman »

Music Manic wrote: ... I'm still a firm believer that DAWs can sound different even though the maths are supposed to be the same. How they interact with drivers of different hardware plus plugins adds to the variety.

I'm interested in which artifacts you are talking about. does 44.1kHz still allow sidebands to seep through if there are problems with the filters?
math in different DSP systems AND different DAWs is not the same - there are many ways to code the same function.
in Scope it's fairly easy to get some hands-on (or rather ear-on) experience: just switch the system to 96k and make an analog recording. You'll immediately notice more clearity and definition in the sound.
But if the playback system is 44.1k (say a CD), then your listener won't have the same experience of sound.
Even if you make a totally synthetic record with practically no aliasing in the sources, the playback system will add it's share of aliasing.

The coding will also play a role, as you can check with multimedia (onboard) codecs.
Scope's Waldorf Oscillators feature aliasing intentionally for their special sound character - with 96k playback a lot of that is washed away. There have been some threads about it years ago.

For records targeted at a large (online) audience, one will probably have to put equally care in encoding (and listen and tune the track accordingly), as was traditionally done with different speakers...

I second what jk writes above, but wouldn't mind the high-cut.
Highs are way overestimated imo today... just because 'you can do it...' ;)
The female voice in the example by tgstgs (right at the beginning) sounds plain horror to me - as do most of today's contemporary artists in top 40 recordings. But I'm not target group anyway :D

cheers, Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, no one needs all that high end. some is nice.

and there's no point to these arguments if the end product is cd or worse, mp3. there are many more important audio issues to deal with before the samplerate. if you've done everything else and money is no object, then raising the samplerate makes perfect sense. i'd do it!
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

//The female voice in the example by tgstgs (right at the beginning) sounds plain horror to me

------
wow:

right at the beginning it is NOT effected!!

original from cd 44k1 16bit
_
just for the record this is nikka costa in soundtrack of the BLOW__

then i do some tricks with scopeplugs__

transformed to mp3 by wav*lab

good vibes

edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlUHIiTwBzQ
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

astroman wrote: math in different DSP systems AND different DAWs is not the same - there are many ways to code the same function.
in Scope it's fairly easy to get some hands-on (or rather ear-on) experience: just switch the system to 96k and make an analog recording. You'll immediately notice more clearity and definition in the sound.

cheers, Tom
Now that excites me! I enjoy the pleasure of sound from an audiophile's point of view. Gimme 96k, gimme! I have to try it now. Thanks for your knowledge.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

tgstgs wrote://The female voice in the example by tgstgs (right at the beginning) sounds plain horror to me

------
wow:

_

then i do some tricks with scopeplugs__

transformed to mp3 by wav*lab

good vibes

edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlUHIiTwBzQ

What do use to get those pitch changes tgstgs? Looper?

I am listening to it on a laptop and it sounds like an analogue speed change rather than the old digital stretch.

Thanks
astroman

Post by astroman »

tgstgs wrote://The female voice in the example by tgstgs (right at the beginning) sounds plain horror to me
------
wow:
_
no intention to be disrespectful... ;)
that kind of tracking just isn't my cup of tea, but it seems she's been recorded quite cutting from childhood on...
I have a 45 rpm with herself and her Dad on guitar (On My Own/Chained to the Blues)
pitched down to 33 you'll hear Neil Young :D

cheers, Tom
Attachments
nikka.jpg
nikka.jpg (48.74 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

will this thing have xtdm connection to XITE-1? then i could use everything at better sample rates.
garyb

Post by garyb »

will it?

if Juergen designs it.
everyone who wants a MADI to XTDM adaptor better flood him with requests. i'm sure he has more than enough things to think about running Ferrofish, otherwise.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

it seems odd that i can use the a16 ultra with the zlink and get high sample rates, but only ADAT to the a16 mk 2. unless they have some kind of out of spec high clock ADAT on both of them, or you are limited to 8 channels with a mux arrangement i guess that is why it is not a soniccore product, because its not really meant to go with XITE-1
dante

Post by dante »

I guess since Z-Link is exclusive to Scope, in a scenario where the overheads of adding both Z-Link and MADI to the MKII may have forced a choice to one or the other, MADI won. MADI allowed chaining of 4 x MKII together for 64 channels - something which neither ADAT or Z-Link could not offer, potentially resulting in more units sold and a future of further innovation from the company.

I think Scope, whilst not always coming first in the priorities of spin-off ventures, will in the long haul benefit from thier larger economies of scale.
garyb

Post by garyb »

there is another z-link AD/DA planned, but it won't be for a while.
katano

Post by katano »

- i'd instantly buy the A16 mkII, if zlink was integrated... (I'm using zlink for years, back in 2002 when I started with scope and a Luna with the breakout box :-))
- or i'd instantly buy the A16 mkII and the MADI option for Xite, if it was available
- but I wouldn't ever consider going the ADAT route...

cheers,
Roman
dante

Post by dante »

I suppose the question that comes to my mind is why anyone would sink R&D into a z-link product when MADI superceeds it in performance and is a more widely accepted industry standard.