Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

SpaceF Modular Mixer - Demo available + v 1.12

Post by spacef »

Hi all,
SpaceF Devices Modular Mixer is released
If someone wants a demo, -->> v 1.11 install is available here <<--

- You must ask a demo key to Sonic Core like for any other device demo.
- If you want an activation key, thanks to PM me, and I will ask SC to sell it to you in exchange of an activation key.
About 50 modules allow to build mixers of various size and look, and with more or less aux and busses.

http://www.spacef-devices.com/

Quick links
=========
- List of components
- Types of channels
- All
- Download Public Demo

- users with access to the user area can download the full version and request a demo key to SC (*).

(*) If you had an access as a customer, it was unfortunately lost for various reasons, and you have to ask a new access as this is a new user area.
Last edited by spacef on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:12 am, edited 26 times in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
siriusbliss

Re: SpaceF Modular Mixer

Post by siriusbliss »

Yum!

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Post by dawman »

I just kept loading until I finally saw an opto window.
Only when connecting output 2 of the 5th mixer did I get my first window.
And check out the DSP meter....!!!!
All mixers and effects on DSP 7. So there is plenty of overhead and room for a really large project.
It seems like my ASIO Source module is trying to span to another DSP, so if I just
assign the module to its associated oder SHARC chip I can continue loading more
mixers, but I really dont see using more than a merger, 64 stereo channels from stems,
and the Master Bus mixer.
Truly a great advance for mixing, especially when you learn the SCing mixers and other connections possible using the SLi/o's.
It's comforting knowing I have 11 new DSP's still I haven't begun to access............ANKYU> :wink:
Great job Mehdi....
untitled.jpg
spacef

Post by spacef »

It seems to me that STEM could be on DSP 7 "alone", because it is the device that has the most important number of connections and so may need to be on a dsp with the most number of connection, to provide an overhead for more stuff... and place the channels and MB7 elsewhere. This could leave room in dsp 7 for other stuff.

Here you want to do a 40 channel mixer right (or 64? 64 seems a huge number for xite... it is in fact equivalent to 128 mono channels... ) the two stems should NOT be on the same dsp: better put the 247 on the biggest dsp, and the 167 on another one.

I am not sure it is a good idea to place all the mixer on the same DSP, it has the same effect as if it was an integrated mixer on 1 dsp... little chance that it works and it causes dsp messages quickly.
I think the best is to seperate stems from other modules (in terms of which dsp they are loaded on), or even, seperate stems from each other, to get a better balance of the load of the mixer on the various dsps.

Here on Scope, I have this DSP overload too due to roo many connections: it happens if i add 2 mb7 in the picture below. Then, I cannot connect everything together, and i will overload the dsp before I can do the connections. I don't think it is reasonable to go over 48 stereo channels (remember, it's like a 96 mono inputs mixer already) I mean you can load the devices, but then a few channels will refuse to connect.

That's where the DSP management of stem bus is useful: deactivating a few of them should free enough resources to finish connecting all routings on the same DSP slot.

I don't know about ASIO, but i think it takes ressources too, in scope i feel a difference so i have to limit myself to 16 stereo asio (32 outs). more than that, the system doesn't follow (but i am on a scope pro of 1998 so.... it is less performant than the models that ere released later).

I liked better your pics of projects that do work though :-)

About SLI:

By the way, "don't sli" the Stems with MB7. You can SLI only components that are "parallel" : for ex: two stems togethers, channels together, MB7 together (with other MB)

You cannot SLI Link a stem with a channel, because it will switch both devices on "solo mode", resulting in a big mute of all channels most of the time.

It is only RS that can be connected to any device of the network without problem. But SLI is diferent.

It is not very easy to explain anyway and requires examples of "dos and donts".

That's how it should be done (48 stereo channels in scope, drawings by vincent van gogh, not me)
Attachments
sli-pic.gif
sli-pic.gif (302.34 KiB) Viewed 13314 times
Last edited by spacef on Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:14 am, edited 11 times in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dawman

Post by dawman »

STEM's could be alone but they are so lite in DSP I dont see the need for that.
This was a fast example of how they load w/o amy opto, and just connecting everything as I go along.
Personally since I would be packing the MB& w/ effects as well as external Modular Reverb shells, I would put the MB7 on its own DSP, and the STEM's on their own, but thats personal prefference.
I am still learning my way around the parallel connection and Sidechain mixers.They are deep.

:wink:
spacef

Post by spacef »

yep, a few features need better explanation.

NB: those who already have the mixer (fast ones) and those who are demoing it: please don't bother with the CC remapper right now. It is not very intuitive and requires explanantions. It is more or less like the regular CC preset list but seperated eventhough it also has its limitations (so i am thinking of removing the remapper part to save some connections ressources... may be a version with/without will be appropriate)..

I take a week off dsps now, back to music... until next week end :-)

Of course, registered user can mail me to regain access to their user area.

See you l8r
Have a nice week
Last edited by spacef on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:28 am, edited 10 times in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dawman

Post by dawman »

Its a brilliant design, especially the way you have the fast presets set up.
Its a perfect realtime mixer and makes me want to go get a Euphonix.
David

Post by David »

A work of beauty in form and function

Many thanks
spacef

Re: SpaceF Modular Mixer (V 1.02)

Post by spacef »

V 1.02 is online
- it corrects all the bugs reported on that thread (MB7 and stem 167) http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29286
- also makes the resonnance of the stereo channel modules compatible with CC NUM features.

The updates are available now in the user area as a new Core install download labbelled V1-02 .
It delayed the public demo a little bit.....

There is also a little freeware over there (and it's not a vuvuzela filter)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

Last edited by spacef on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dante

Post by dante »

Since Ive got the BCR2000 and am wondering what to spend *small* amount of cash on ( since I can't afford XITE ) I was wondering about the SpaceF Modular mixer.

I've only got 12DSP and don't have any fancy routing requirements ( like a live situation eg multiple different mixes to different headphones or FOH etc), all I need to do is mix 24 stereo channels ( withEQ on every channel and 3 fx inserts ). Possibly I could get away with the stems without the need for the master bus, if thats a viable setup ( I need to read the docs more I know...)

So I'm hoping to use it just to extract a better overall sound (stereo mix) than the STM. Would this be the case or would I be better off just buying the FAT valve inserts for the STM ?

Also, is there a full screen pic of the mixer anywhere ( eg maybe 1024 x 768 at least....) ?
spacef

Post by spacef »

>>> Also, is there a full screen pic of the mixer anywhere ( eg maybe 1024 x 768 at least....) ?

may be try here for some pics.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dante

Post by dante »

Ok good re pics, I loaded up the demo to check out the full screen layout. But without going thru the learning curve of setting it all up I'm still none the wiser as to why I'd buy one to replace the STM2448 - eg a) sound b) less DSP or c) convenience only - eg routing flexibility, midi, presets etc ? All or any of the above ?

I'm just after the quick sell here.....you guys are using it - I wanna know why...not the bible, just a cuppla words ...
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hi Dante,
I know the question is not directed to me but i'm the only one that can answer some parts of the question (basically, it is yes for all your questions in a/b/c) : the modularity is due to xite architecture (i don't have xite but i can see what need to change as i updated some devs for xite). I did an intregrated 32/8 stereo aux mixer last year, but it simply doesn't work on neither xite (too big device) or scope (too many pci connections, pci overflow happens quickly, makes it useless). So now you have something built specifically to conform xite hardware and which is also good for scope by effect of its modularity.

I am not the one to ask for a comparison with STM as I don't use them anymore for years now. the STM are more like a classic hardware console though, if i remember well...

Modular mixer is also about another concept due to another hardware. I have others in stock... MixSatC2, FP mixers ... they all have different dsp use, different purpose, are self sufficient, have better CC implementation than many other devices. It all depends on what you do and on which intensity.

So that's why it has been done basically, I don't exactly know why the few other people bought it though :lol:
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Modular mixers are probably better for use with controllers, since some people have reported inconsistent controller behavior with the STM's in Xite.

Personally I'm heading in a different direction here - getting away from the STM mixer (a more 'standard' good ol' console mixer) and heading towards more dedicated tracking sub-mixers for guitars externally and synths/modular internally, and then routing all these out to a dedicated master channel for mixing. All done inside Scope.

So I can continue tracking THROUGH Samplitude, and treating Scope as mixing 'outside the box' while being inside Scope.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dante

Post by dante »

Ok thanks SpaceF and Sirius. This gives me some insite, although I'm still in a 'suck it and see' scenario (since I'm specifically after sonic improvements more than anything else) - I'm now leaning more in the direction of the FAT inserts, so I'll give those a try. I like valves ( use em on all inputs and monitor amp...) and I like Fat.

Thanks again.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I love saving saving DSP when it comes to Modular.
So I thought I'd build my Roland D70/D550 w/o any
effects and use the STEM 167 as my my of routing
an 8 x 8 Modular shell containing 4 synths, each
outputted to the STEM 167.
This is how you get some seperation of a big
Modular Synth.
No more stereo Modulars for me, they are boring
after routing them like this.
roland d70.zip
01-100707_1934.mp3
untitled.JPG
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

yum...

Greg
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I love saving saving DSP when it comes to Modular.
So I thought I'd build my Roland D70/D550 w/o any
effects and use the STEM 167 as my my of routing
an 8 x 8 Modular shell containing 4 synths, each
outputted to the STEM 167.
Care to share the routing through the mixer modules?

Greg
dawman

Post by dawman »

STEM 167 >> MB7 4 effects.
Delay
SSB Modulator
Chorus S
Master Flanger.