SpaceF Modular Mixer - Demo available + v 1.12

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

mausmuso

Re: SpaceF Modular Mixer (V 1.02)

Post by mausmuso »

Hi There,
I am still having issues with the solo defeat not switching of the solo on channels.

Can someone check as per Mehdi's video their MB7 on XITE and let us know if they have the issue?
btw this is no showstopper in any way.
Hitting defeat returns all channels to normal operation, it just leaves the solo light on for the previous soloed channels.
Thanks
Ron
spacef wrote:Here is a video of the latest version in the zip
http://www.spacef-devices.com/VIDEOS/MB7-solo.html
Is it what you are talking about (solo defeat) ? does the device in the video work better than the one in your project ?

If yes, troubleshooting ;

1// make sure it is the latest version that is on your disk or project. Seems obvious, but you never know. it happens to the very best of us :-)

2// load a fresh MB7 latest version in the project and make test: this is because , sometimes, overwriting device on your disk, and loading a project which contains this device, will load the new device but with old settings. The consequence is that some updated parts will react like the previous version, the way it was saved in the project.
This is common with some devices like mixer
--> to solve this, you must remove the MB7 in your template project, and replace by a new one manually. If needed you can save a preset of the old one and load it in the new version, it will not cause the "project bug" (it's not really a bug, just some parts of some devices get saved inside the project like if they were "hardwired inside the project" and so even updates will be loaded with old settings, so the only solution is to remove it from the project and load a fresh one manually. . It is something that is related to preset list parameters rather than the internal routings of a device, and solo buttons have to be preseted parameters, for use with midi CC. The update didn't concern any preset-parameters but an internal routing that was missing... but it is possible that it is related to this kind of behavior.

3// an xite bug ? I would be surprised, unless every xite users say the same thing. In such case, the bug would exist on all devices (they all use the same solo circuit, more or less). So i don't think it is an xite bug.

For me it is either 1 or 2. 2 is very common with mixers.
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

On the DSP error side.
I have found that it is best to let XITE map modules as they are loaded.
This seems to give less error messages than trying to distribute the DSP load manually.
When I have done this I get errors in mapping back into DSP1, 2 or 3, which I assume is related to the number of connections you can have linked into those chips.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

mausmuso wrote:On the DSP error side.
I have found that it is best to let XITE map modules as they are loaded.
This seems to give less error messages than trying to distribute the DSP load manually.
When I have done this I get errors in mapping back into DSP1, 2 or 3, which I assume is related to the number of connections you can have linked into those chips.
I always start out this way, since it's not possible to map the DSP manually while loading devices :P
I only resorted to manual assignments when the ASIO hookups triggered the DSPtoDSP errors.

Anyways, I'm getting further along now that the ASIOs are hooked up.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well I am using this for what my live needs so I am using different parameters so between all of us we can find things out quickly.
I have no issues yet and have concentrated on the new Route 167. Good name for a country and western group..... :lol:
I am using the sends as FX Busses and so far have found no issues.
But I also have to change my rig around slightly becasue now every preset I use for my 4 x Zone Modular synth will also change the effects sends since they now share the same MIDI channel.
Each Send can have a preset list which is way cool for when I start using these mixers for different routings and recordings.
Also disabling the DSP is awesome. Where the knobs are no longer visable iswhere Ihave disabled them. My ASIO sends only need a few routings.
Send 1 is Chorus
Send 2 is SSB Modulator
Send 3 is Flanger
Send 4 is Tape Delay
Send 5 is Ursa Major SST
Send 6 is y'd to the B2003 Leslie
Send 7 is Warp69 SC-Ambience-X

I love these mixers. They are Modular, and very customizable and naturally true stereo instead of the psuedo STM style AUX/Busses.
I kind of wish Medhi would make something that sucks that the old Dragon Distrotion so I could have something to bitch about.
Glad to see someone is developing for us still.........

Ankyu.
untitled.JPG
dante

Post by dante »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I love these mixers. They are Modular, and very customizable and naturally true stereo instead of the psuedo STM style AUX/Busses.
Huh ? If I'm sending to say a delay from one of my STM channels and I've connected left and right's ( and panned left to left and right to right ) all the way through the chain, then on the delay unit I change the left feedback to be shorter than the right feedback I can hear successive delays pan from left to right - isn't this true stereo ? Are you saying through the Modular Mixer I will get better/wider stereo ?
Last edited by dante on Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacef

Post by spacef »

you certainly don't have to go through all these steps to use a stereo effect...
and it leaves 5 stereo aux free, instead of two. you also need to remote control only 1 knob to play with a stereo send in live situations.... and mono effects are still available through MB7 routings or by loading a mono effect and selecting ts left input, and you can also dualize 2 mono channels if you use H channels or M4FP channels (which are mono with a stereo insert at the end of the chain so may be it qualifies for quad output).... you can also insert a small mono module wherever you want if different panning is required (true dual channels are still in the building pipe though). I don't even speak of crossfaded effects in MB7 group channels....

it is nothing new in the spacef world though been like that for the last 4 years at least (actually i think even the very old mixers of 10 years ago have such features but i am not too sure as i don't use those anymore, sts14K, Omix...)....
so in 4 years, a spacef user has clicked and thought much less than an STM user, so spacef users are healthier, look better, and generally speaking , they are sexier, now that they have time to take care about themselve with enhanced productivity.... (it's a fact, look at Xite 4 Live avatars , he doesn't stop looking younger and handsomer day after day)... :lol:

on the serious side, the results are the same, it's just achieved faster.... i'm so lazy and annoyed about clicking and cabling in scope that i don't mind taking a year to build a mixer that allows this kind of stuff :roll: .

it's really a matter of person and how they want to work or integrate a mixer in their daw. I don't think you can compare both mixers in terms of cuntions, they are two very different approaches. One is a replica of a famous hardware mixer, the other is something that is made for Daws, vst and scope plugins and Scope in general without much reference to any hardware mixer.

PS: it would be nice if some xite users could check the solo on MB7 to confirm wether it is an xite bug or something else.... (check mausmuso post at the top of this page)....
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dante

Post by dante »

Well I dont normally go through all those steps since every new project I do is simply a cut and paste of the last one....but anyway get you're point about having more sends. I'd be interested to know what mixer the STM is a replica off - I wasn't aware of that .....

Re XITE's avatar, you reckon he hasn't tweaked the aspect ratio ? Countless Scope hours can be spent sitting on backside with beer and potato chips but lugging for gigs could burn some of that off...
spacef

Re: SpaceF Modular Mixer (V 1.03) updates and additions

Post by spacef »

The special price is extended until begining of august.
there should be one price rise begining august, and another in september. or may be everything directly in august, depends on the mood.
See you

http://www.spacef-devices.com/
Last edited by spacef on Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
t_tangent

Re: SpaceF Modular Mixer (V 1.03) updates and additions

Post by t_tangent »

Just ordered it. Look forward to giving this beauty a try. Thanks Mehdi....looks really useful, and great to see the continued updates :)
dawman

Re: SpaceF Modular Mixer-STEMS 1.04 PART 1 - AVAILABLE NOW

Post by dawman »

Just got the new updates.
Ankyu
BTW...the mixing blog is very informative and nice to have.
The new site looks great.
spacef

Re: SpaceF Modular Mixer - Group 82

Post by spacef »

Are Group channels a new way to play Tetris on scope and xite ???

No way, they have a different purpose: they are small groupers with channels inside the device.

It allows grouping for use with dual mono effects or BlackBox filters, or add a couple of Auxiliary inserts "pre-stems".

8 stereo inputs,
2 stereo outputs
Full SLi, Rs
No Rec channel yet (will see later if worth it).

Still under testing (to see if individual preset list can store insert parameters and restore them on other channels),
but already works fine enough for a release (all parameters of the main preset list are ok, midi is ok etc etc.
Available now in the user area.

The core install will be updated in a few days only.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Re: SpaceF Modular Mixer - Update v 1.06b and add-ons

Post by spacef »

Update v 1.06c is ready and available in the user area. It is an update, not a full install (ie, just copy paste in install directory to overwrite updated modules and leave others untouched).

:) About 15 updates (DiDo pads, removal of CC Num, modif or removal of CCP, and various cosmetics and other things depending on modules).
Including two new lighter modules:
- stem 245
- 8S8H "NM" version

:o Also 3 insert effects/
- Thru M and S (insert latency adders, to "align" channels for those who need that, parallel dynamic processing for example)
- MF12-S: you thought 'the NM version doesn't allow to use stereo modulation on stereo filters" ? wrong. MF12-S allows to use more modulators inside an insert. MF12-S allows to take 2 modulation sources from anywhere in the project, and to apply it to frequencies abn/or resonance. Reversed version of the modulators is provided by the MF12-S itself (1R and 2R are the "Reverse" version of modulators 1 and 2).

:) -> Release info
:) -> MF12-S tutorial
:) -> Become a Master in Modular Mixer SideChaining with this 3 parts tutorial (1 minute each approx).

:o you will also find a folder in the Modular Mixer area that is labelled "Xite Only" and which will receive version especially done for xite, and which are not backward compatible with Scope. This will come later and will have to be tested by users in consideration of DSP allocation and other specific xite tricks.

Have fun :wink:

:-? It's been a while since i wanted to rename the 247/245/167 as "Stem 247 etc (or S247, S245, S167) as it can be confusing to have no letter in front of the name (and so, confusion with the Routers in general)..... What do you think ? i didn't do it thinking of users projects but it might be more clever to change the names of the devices for the future......
so if you have something against it... because it might happen.....
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dawman

Re: SpaceF Modular Mixer - Update v 1.06 and add-ons

Post by dawman »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO7P9VBe9yg

I am working on the Medhi Touzani Around The World modular techniques.
spacef

Post by spacef »

10 new modules (most are released as beta, some could be removed or changed in final).
http://www.spacef-devices.com/index.php ... &Itemid=18
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

spacef wrote:10 new modules (most are released as beta, some could be removed or changed in final).
http://www.spacef-devices.com/index.php ... &Itemid=18
Wow, I can't keep up!

Thanks,

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Re: SpaceF Modular Mixer - Update v 1.07 - 10 new modules

Post by dawman »

Man Or Myth ....... SpaceF.
The Modulator and additional VU's are such excellent additions.
I have something to have fun with this weekend...

Thanks Brotha' Man 2Zani
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Wow!!
Thanks Mehdi
You've taken it to another level.
Now all I have to do is get my head around it all so I can choose wisely for each and every project.
spacef

Post by spacef »

The easiest method would be to define what is your own "core" ie, the minimum without which you can't live... then oversize it a bit to let yourself add stuff in the project.
In the same time, you can change devices on the fly and use Presets to restore settings (for ex, if you want to go from 16/20 channel to 24 or more in the middle of a project).
All stems and routers are built on the same device shell (and so presets should be compatible for the most part, at least for the parameters common to all devices, such as Bus Send Levels).
You can also exchange presets in channel modules (the smaller ones are "just" cut down versions of the bigger ones, so common parameters should be recognized too). In fact only MB7 is not build on the same device shell as other modules, but the Mix 5 / 7 and future MBs use the same shell as channel modules. So it shouldn't be a big problem to "upgrade" a mixer in the middle of a mixing session, and restore all the parameters of the one you just replaced.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
spacef

Post by spacef »

there is a fix for Mix7 available (corrects a routing problem of channels into inserts).
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website