SpaceF - Valve Mixers -version 1.7

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

Post by spacef »

Music Manic wrote:Have been trying the mixer out.

Firstly the sound is great.
I love the record channel feature.Very useful.

Couple of niggles.Sound cuts out if I activate channel or add insert.I think normal SFP mixer does that but not as dramatically.I get a few clicks in audio now.I think it's quite high in CPU usage.
Are these being addressed still Mehdi?
- if I activate channel: yes it is normal if you activate the channel on/off dsp. there is creation/cancellation of audio channels in scope.
- add insert : yes it is normal it is because the insert is loaded and activated in the audio flow. Some effects are known to produce clicks when loaded. It is often because the effect itself has dsp management features, which is good in itself.
It is the same as for Aux Effects Presets as explained in the manual (about aux fx and program changes, that effects produce clicks when loaded/unloaded from the insert slots).

The functions that are silent are the mutes and the mix on-off and the insert's Load State button (the blue led that shows that an insert is "not bypassed"). All these are silent switches that do not load /unload anything from the dsps.

High Dsp use: yes, having the fat inserts on every channel is not innocent. Neither is having all those inserts. But for this exact device, it does no takes more dsp than it should. Occasionally, clicks can occur when muting/bypassing : this is the same consequence as when you cut a wave sample at a non-zero-crossing point. there might be click because of the sudden offset in the sample (but on scope or the mixer it does not happen as easily as in cutting a wave sample.).

Also, it is easy to over-use the FAT. It is a fact that the saturation/clipping sounds better in scope, in direct (like most dynamic processing), and can sound different when sampled. Putting all FAT at max position for example can still sound good in Scope while can be less good when sampled (at 44.1 at least).

In fact I should upload a version that takes all dsp from the start. The fact that the current version has some channel de-activated is confusing because not in-line with how it works and probably bring people to press on/off on the dsp switch which is not how it should be. I will make the full-on version available in the FB5 area in a few days. Thanks for your patience.

The "light" mixers are the FP mixers, but that's only because there is not fat circuit built-in. you can load fat inserts if needed, and will take same dsp as the FB5 (proportionally).

All the best

Mehdi
Last edited by spacef on Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Thanks Mehdi.
Could you make the mixer slightly smaller.It's just a little too big for me.
Maybe I need a better graphics card.
spacef

Post by spacef »

how slightly ? :-)
One thing I thought is to replace with rotary dials instead of faders, and no big vu... it makes the section of volume/vu shorter by 50% approximately, and definitely doesn't look the same( much less good, no faders....). It can be ready before christmas.
spacef

Post by spacef »

Music Manic wrote:Thanks Mehdi.
Could you make the mixer slightly smaller.It's just a little too big for me.
Maybe I need a better graphics card.
You can save screen estate by using those tips

- Tip 1: make it slightly smaller: the aux at the bottom can be dragged out of screen when not editing the aux (by dragging the mixer down). Drag the mixer up to see the aux again.

- Tip2: press on the button with a sign " =" on it (top right) so it is greyed out. Click on the project to send the mixer in the background, behind the project window. Leave a space of the mixer that you can click to bring the mixer on the foreground again (generally, a small portion of the left or right borders, which is always viewable/selectable). This tips makes it much more easy to navigate between the mixer surface and the project window.

- Tip 3: have a button near your hands. Assign a Midi CC to the "close" button of the mixer to it ("x" , top right) : this will open/close the mixer at will.
hubird

Post by hubird »

or use screenshots :-)
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

hubird wrote:or use screenshots :-)
Yes, this is easy!

You make a screenshot of the mixer, then in ms paint you can make it much much smaller!!!!!
hubird

Post by hubird »

:lol:
but you know about that SFP function I hope :-)
musikrolf

Stuttering sound

Post by musikrolf »

Just downloaded your devices and started with a problem. I only got a stuttering sound and when I move graphic while the device is on, the movement is also stuttering. When the demo hint lights on, the graphic moves smooth.
Is ther a problem with my configuration?
Any advice?

musikrolf

Chipset i875P
Motherboard, Intel Bonanza 3GHz, 2GB RAM
Matrox Millenium G550 Dual Screen
dawman

Post by dawman »

I had a similar problem w/ Scope and a Matrox G450 on my Gigastudio / SFP DAW.

I have had no problems since I upgraded to the 965 board.

Gigastudio worked fine w/ the G450 until Scope's GUI was added. There's only 32MB's RAM on those cards. Extra RAM for the GPU seemed to fix that 4 me.

I use the GForce cards from eVGA w/ 256MB now and haven't looked back.

Hoffen Sie Dab Dieses,

Beim Freundlichen Respekt Hilft.
spacef

Post by spacef »

it's a demo problem (demo module causing modulation)...i will fix this today
i couldn't do anything this week end, i will post a note when fixed...
spacef

Post by spacef »

with my deepest apologies....
Demos
with sound issue fixed...

Also added to the user area
FB and V82 mod pack 1 , contains:
- FB5 that loads full on
- FB5 and V82 mixers with aux returns at the top (for vertical chaining).

Watch a tutorial
musikrolf

Post by musikrolf »

now it works perfect and sounds good.

Greetings
musikrolf
spacef

Post by spacef »

FB5 / V82 - V 1.1 available in user area.
- Slight improvement: Midi assignments for pans were not recalled in presets, only project. Now fixed, midi controller presets can now be used again with pan.
- One single download including version with aux returns on top.

- updated demo (v 1.1). Also, the V82 demo is a version with aux returns on top, so you can test chaining.
spacef

Post by spacef »

S-Filter-1 for FP/Valve mixers.

An essential tool is now available in the user area for
FP Mixers
Valve Mixers
BlackBox II
Blackbox Fx

Tutorials available (sound is poor, sorry)
Online manual very dense: a lot of options are available.

http://www.spacef-devices.com

FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

This has been my first weekend married with FB5. I bought her through one of those "mail order mixer" dating sites, cleverly diguished as "spacef-devices"

she's one dirty little ..... I tell you. I dropped so much in her slots, you wont believe how she is screaming.....
dawman

Post by dawman »

BTW the SonicCore site has a nice layout page with all of the goodies described, it looks real nice.

Congrats Mehdi.
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

On the FB5 I think the gain indicator on the AUX3 is not working (no numbers of ammount of gain are displayed)
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

Mehdi,

What kind of CC's will the mixer ouput ? Only the 3 internaly assigned, at least this is what I am observing.
spacef

Post by spacef »

FrancisHarmany wrote:Mehdi,

On the FB5 I think the gain indicator on the AUX3 is not working (no numbers of ammount of gain are displayed)
Yes, there is only the vu and margin meter to check headroom. So it is normal (and it is the same as the aux 1 and 2).
FrancisHarmany wrote: What kind of CC's will the mixer ouput ? Only the 3 internaly assigned, at least this is what I am observing.
No no :-)
It is able to output any assigned midi CC, on the 2 midi channels, so 240 midi CC are available: make sure you have selected the right midi channels in the various devices: if you want to output CC from the insert slots, i would recommend checking that surface control and inserts midi is different. It avoids that 2 identical CC are merged on the midi out of FB5 (if channel is same or omni).

The thing is that there is no CC assigned in advance in FB5, so basically, it is "empty" except for the 3 mod to CC values. Why? because i have done in the past devices with pre-assigned midi CCs and i think it sucks in trems of flexibility. Much better to let each user assign CCs as he wants to, depending on the equipment he has.
So may be this is were the problem comes from: no midi CCs are assigned by default.

to summarize (and for you to test)
--> assign a CC to a fader,
--> connect a device to the FB5 midi out (or a sequencer midi dest)
--> assign same CC number to a param of that 2nd device (will be called dest device)
--> check that midi channel is same on both source/dest devices
--> move the fader on FB5: the param of the destination device moves at the same time (nb: do not pay attention to the lag in the graphic (ie the destination param moving with big jumps): this is a graphic only thing, the midi CC signal should be correct (you can check by recording on a sequencer).

You can do the same with the insert slots.

Mod to CC: those 3 CC are a bridge between the surface controls or "main midi" and the insert slots midi channels. Those 3 numbers will be sent to the midi channel that you set on the Mod to CC page: so it can be used to control an external device too. The path is :
midi input-->insert midi channel selector---> go to inserts--> then go out of the device after merge with main midi channel.

So either 1 or 2 midi channels are available for midi CC output.

I checked again and all is working as it should.

(edited: added the trick in the user forum mixer tips and tricks faqs) (on spacef-dev)
Last edited by spacef on Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

spacef wrote: Mehdi,

Yes, there is only the vu and margin meter to check headroom. So it is normal (and it is the same as the aux 1 and 2).
Its not the same. If I move the gain knob (have to re-check this at home) on AUX 1 & 2 I see the number of -/+ DBs. The AUX3 does not have this feature.

Also the gain of AUX is not applied to the Return signals, perhaps this is by design ?

I will check the CC tonight also.