Voting

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Hey folks,

To vote on a topic, simply open the topic, and click on the "Rate it" link to the right of the subject.

Each user can only vote once per topic. (You are allowed to change your vote).

Do you think I should enable voting in the non-file forums? (e.g. in the Tips&tricks, or even in the regular discussion forums?)

-john
Mo

Post by Mo »

i think it´s not necessary to add the voting to the discussion boards, but voting tipps and tricks would be useful, as there people can see, which tipps are the most helpful, and people who give tipps can see, how many people are interested in certain themes...

gruß,
Mo
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I think "Views" sort of acts as a silent anonymous vote already, you can see which things have the most views and even sort by views. But yeah it could be useful/interesting.

What about associating a vote with a review in the new system... did I overlook something?
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

On 2001-06-30 18:55, subhuman wrote:
What about associating a vote with a review in the new system... did I overlook something?
currently the vote is decoupled from the review. that way, you can vote without writing a review. however, i can, if you think that anonymity in voting is not required, display the person's vote next to their review (assuming they've written a review <i>and</i> voted! :smile:

-john
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

On 2001-06-30 22:42, John Cooper wrote:
i can, if you think that anonymity in voting is not required, display the person's vote next to their review (assuming they've written a review <i>and</i> voted! :smile:
that would be swell! - that way, after a long explanation, you could see "the bottom line" of the person's review in a rating # - I put much more weight on an actual review than a mere rating, but the two coupled together would have the greatest meaning for inquirers into a device, IMHO. :wink:
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Please note that you must be logged in to vote. I just realized there was a bug allowing people to vote anonymously, which sorta defeats the integrity of the system, so I've removed all anonymous votes (there were only about 10 so far, so I hope this is not considered to be a major loss).

Peoples, if you voted anonymously, please go and vote again as a registered user! :smile:

-john
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

On 2001-07-01 06:50, algorhythm wrote:
that would be swell! - that way, after a long explanation, you could see "the bottom line" of the person's review in a rating # - I put much more weight on an actual review than a mere rating, but the two coupled together would have the greatest meaning for inquirers into a device, IMHO. :wink:
ok, i implemented this tonight.

cheers,
-john
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I've done a review but can't seem to add a rating. Every time I click on rating it tells me: "You must log in to vote".

But I am logged in - even picked up a private message and edited my profile just to be sure, but I still get the same message. I've been round the merry-go-round about five times.

Also, I think you should only be allowed to rate something if you post a review. A little effort should be needed before your view can skew the rating.
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

On 2001-07-02 06:33, Spirit wrote:
I've done a review but can't seem to add a rating. Every time I click on rating it tells me: "You must log in to vote".

But I am logged in - even picked up a private message and edited my profile just to be sure, but I still get the same message. I've been round the merry-go-round about five times.
damn! i knew i shouldn't have been tweaking code so late last night. that was a very simple bug, and it's fixed now. sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for letting me know!
Also, I think you should only be allowed to rate something if you post a review. A little effort should be needed before your view can skew the rating.
hmm, well, then i'm afraid no one will vote :smile: i think i'll leave it the way it is for now... but i will be adding a nice voting statistics page which shows how the votes are distributed for a topic . and possibly i'll show who voted what for each topic, so people will know that if they give a device a "1", they may be asked to say why!! :smile:

-john
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Ah ! People held accountable for their opinions - I like it.

And congratulations on the revamp. Did someone once say something about a "dead old graveyard" ?
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

yeah, accountability was one of the main reasons i set up this whole forum, and disallowed anonymity and required registration. you may remember the days when i had a forum over on discserver - all anonymous posting. there were a few regrettable instances of wareztrolling namecalling etc etc. i'm all for freedom of speech, but sometimes anonymity seems to breed juvenility...

-john