BlackBox II & Co ( special offer ends at end of the month)

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

Post by spacef »

It is probably a browser "refresh" thing. Otherwise, mail me on the spacef-devices email please.
thanks in advance.
spacef wrote:CC5 is a remake of the spacef CC Morpher, in a lighter, more useable way. It takes an incoming CC number and convert it into 5 other CC numbers with various curves. Applications are "morphing" a few parameters of a synth, mixer or modular patch with one fader.

Available in the user forum Device section. A more detailled pdf manual is included in the zip.

video : a rather boring video but you can see most of the features in action (featuring CW Prodissey) ).
By the way, the graphic faders of the output CC lag, but it is normal, because midi is prioritary, and graphics are not, so they are treated at the end of the calculations and when midi transfer is not at risk.
Many thanks to Jimmy V - aka Scope4Live 4 support.
Many many thanks EximB & CG friends for graphic help
Last edited by spacef on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

It works now.
Thanks,

/dave
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Simple to use with exellent results. Thanks! 8)
spacef

Post by spacef »

MixSat C2 is updated and benefits from some features implemented in another spacef mixer.
- 2 midi channels allowing 2*119 Midi CCs
- "pre" is added to the rec. channel: all inputs can be sent to rec.out.
- added second insert slot in the aux inserts (mainly to allow PEQ4 on any reverb, but also allows to chain several effects or effect racks)
- Corrections: track 9S insert was uncorrectly saved in presets, now fixed.

Please not that the midi integration goes further, as the new implementation is solid with insert fx parameters too (in a better way than it is without intervention).

Mono to Stereo channels: the "sat channels" are the same, but without the equalizer. You can use an equalizer either in the filter slots or in the mono or stereo insert slots (see FX tab). Also contains slight graphical changes, a complete renaming of the rec channels (especially for dual, post and pre).
Dsp fixed for all sync signal (takes less than a dsp. what remains is other functions such as modulation switches and so on).
I have a very clean mix done for a series trailer, but i will be able to publish it only when the images are done, which can take a little while as it is a 3d anime.

MixSat C2 Update is available for the following packs only
- BlackBox II
- BlackBox Fx
- MixSat

Use the refresh button of your browser if you do not see the update link.
Repack of BB2/Fx etc will not be done before the release of some other mixers&devices later this year.

next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

thank you Mehdi! :D
Audiographe

Post by Audiographe »

spacef

Post by spacef »

CC8 is available in BlackBox 2 and BlackBox Fx areas.

For info, new videos and more,
http://www.spacef-devices.com/
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Excellent! Thanks :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

I can't believe that SonicCore doesn't have your awesome devices on their site to HELP THEM sell product.

Your work must be shared with every card holder, but not for free of course.
spacef

Post by spacef »

it's still in the project and shouldn't be too long ... I think Sonic Core hasn't set up the final shop yet. It might be sold on spacef-devices as usual. Also, I think Holger is (edited) very buzy since last week .
So it will come not too late hopefully... and in the meantime, i work on the accessories of the mixers, which is not a bad thing :-)

thanks for all the comments !

Mehdi
Eric Dahlberg

Post by Eric Dahlberg »

Mehdi, for the uninitiated, what are MixSat and MixSat C2? What makes them different from any other Scope mixer? I'm assuming they're designed to be saturated, hence the Sat in MixSat, is that correct? I couldn't find any information about this stuff on your website, please post a link if you have one.
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hello,

MixSat is contraction of "mixer with satellite" referring to the 2 channels where you can load filters and modulate them.

It could be confused with saturation because the first version had an automatable EQ which actually poroduced saturation. Some people liked that saturation and said the SAT was referring to saturation, which was OK with me. But in the new version, I removed the EQs and it can't refer to saturation anymore (i removed the eq, to make the audio circuit load on 1 dsp (the mixer loads on 1.5 dsp or less).

I began doing mixers long ago, when i discovered something bad with other mixers, and this bad thing happened on a very important recording with someone famous (actually he became famous 1 year after, when his record got produced by peter gabriel) and is due to that particular mixer and it happen in a aleatory way and i can't tell why myself : so it was, and will remain ever after : never again.
That's why i make (and use) my own mixers, because i build them specifically to avoid this issue (point 1).

2. MixSat project answers an additional request: being able to assign CCs and have them to remain assign EVEN when the project is closed and reloaded: as you may have noticed , by default , this is not necessarily the case with devices, including some SpaceF devices : the problem is that CCs remain asigned, but the control doesn't work; you have to unassigned and reassign CCs which is twice the work and the annoyance. So MixSat was to go beyong that. What you assign will remain assigned whatever happens. and this had to be extended to most controls (99% in fact, including things like page changes and other things less common in general: what is not controllable is the loading/selecting/unloading of insert effects).
So you assign the CCs once, save a project, and the CCs will be back and working fine whenever you reload that project (** digression: i began this with DXD, which has already assigned most of the 119 ccs numbers available as soon as you load it, a bit like in Noah. But why would you like my way of assigning CCs. I abandonned this to leave it to each user to make his own CC assignments, rather than trying to change mine which may be totally wrong with another user).

3. of course, and that's how i do it since the Omix and STS mixers in 2000 (or so), it had to have STEREO AUX SENDS as we are dealing with Scope which is a software where it is more easy to "dual-mono-ize" a stereo channel than the contrary (using dual-mono inserts for example. For MixSat C2, such a module exists (it is called "S2M": ie, stereo to mono and works like an insert, with midi nd presets aetc). Having stsreo aux sends allows to use stereo effects straight away and mono if you want (rather than the contrary).

There are other details too, one of them is the absolute request (from my part) to minimize the number of connection from the input to the master. This is why you have only 1 insert slot per channel, and 1 gain (as opposed to 2 gain controls as found in most mixers).

Good surprise: after I made the MixSat, I realized that it fitted perfectly on a BCR2000 or Mackie rotary control. It allows a very convenient layout for the main controls. It was not specifically made for those controllers, but it was a good surprise.

You are right that there is no up to date info on MixSat C2 "b" (which is pictured somewhere in this thread, look above). You can have a litle bit more info here on the old pages: http://www.spacef-devices.com/BlackBox/ ... t-main.htm

The FP mixers add the possibility to link/unlink mono channels gain (and a variation also allows to link/unlink mono inserts). Nothing special except that it is built to the same "spacef midi standard" (ie, midi cc assignment survice swxitching SFP on/off). The FP mixers actually come from a custom mixer (the FAT BASTARD (a tribute to a famous sentence by someone very famous here) or FB 5 as you may have heard, which include a Valve emulation on every channels, hardwired, not an insert).
The valve at the begining, was designed to produce a drive, but it derived into something that does more than just this. And I think it works fine (you can produce a fine drive if you want, with normalized sound source (ie, something with peaks between -6 and 0dB). Pleasently enough, it can be used on already mastered tracks, and will add a lot of gain without sounding too compressed. Myself I have become an addict of this and there is nothing i can't listen anymore without the that "valve" effect (in fact, I don't think tubes are fat, i think tubes can be fat, and that you can get the fat out of the drive, just like with butter :-) . For example, you know that - for example - the best companion of a Tube microphone is not a tube preamp. I kind of agree with this. It keeps the original drive "more pure" (is "purer" an english word? lol).

The FP mixers (the "current lightest", the FP8 which is pictured on my site's frontpage, takes a bit less than 3 dsps, or less, i have to check again to be precise) also adress people who actually use their daws as a main mixing/grouping "device", and Scope as a final group mixing , which i personally find the best method for everything using compression. Also, in comparison to MixSat C2, all channels can receive either classic mono/stereo effects or FIlters that can be modulated. Modulated filters can also be used in stereo channels with a special insert). In comparison to the FB 5, the FP mixer doesn't have the FAT on every channel, but an insert instead. It allows to save 5 dsp on this 6/8/3 mixer.

Wow, I just realize I have written a lot. I hope it answers the question or shed some light on what it different in those mixers.

Sorry if I sound radical sometimes, but that's just the philosophy used in those devices and as you can see, it blows the classic rules away (for me mono aux is not because "that's how they make it" it is more probably because traditionally, effects were more often mono than stereo until quite recently).

By the way, if someone want a demo of FAT or the FP8 mixer, please email/PM me and I will take care of this quickly. Otherwise, it may take more time because i am making some audio work for another company and it takes time too (+ no news from....so...).

Many thanks for reading; if you arrived here, congratulations :-) here is a picture for you :
Attachments
I am not a BCR 2000, I am a MixSat C2 (the prisoner, episode 129 part 3)
I am not a BCR 2000, I am a MixSat C2 (the prisoner, episode 129 part 3)
bcr3.gif (99.37 KiB) Viewed 5102 times
Last edited by spacef on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I think that pretty much wraps it up.

Great idea for the MixSat ( prisoner ).

Sorry about the FAT CS4 thing, I tend to get a little carried away at times.
spacef

Post by spacef »

I am eager to release them.... the FAT and FAT CS4 were ready to release 3 month ago. But other things and people came in the way and thought it'd be better to wait. You can't blame yourself for this even though i suppose it can be frustrating for others .... I 'll do my best to bring it soon...
Wired

consider making a drawmer 68 mercenary edition comp?

Post by Wired »

i think that a drawmer stereo comp , like the 68 merc edition with the low end 'big' switch (it still controls the harmonics) would be good to have. its more than just a side chain
spacef

Post by spacef »

October
======

User Area: Post of a "patch" that solves problems loading some synth presets.

- The patch is optional and not always required.

- It helps Scope loading presets (especially synths like Biosc with a lot of inserts/sub-inserts). Scope could simply mix up inserts and load them at places where they never were, causing the synth/device to become silent...

- It is the materialization of a trick explained in the old SpaceF support forum, but that is not available anymore, so new users might be lost in this respect. And now you don't have to do it manually anymore.
Last edited by spacef on Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thank You Brotha' Man,

Using other peoples presets on synths where there are RDII Modules, sattellite's, etc. Is always a pain.

The upside is that you are forced to make your own.
spacef

Post by spacef »

...which is a pain when you know that the BB2 contains a huge synth presets library (all in all there may be 2000 non-factory presets for various synths...).
With the patch above + the right settings in the Reference resolver and not the same satellite twice inside scope, you can get rid of the reference resolver confirmations in most cases (ie, loads other ppl presets as if they were your own presets).
see you
Mehdi
dawman

Post by dawman »

Excellente Trabajo Cabrone.
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

quizas podriamos abrir un forum espanol, no ? En cuanto a Spacef, muchas gracias a ti hermano !

:wink:
Jo