Huge acoustic drumkit, free for planet-z

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

eliam

Post by eliam »

ok, here it is:

filtering: the idea is to give a sample a 'natural' dynamic response which emulates how it happens in the real world. The general rule is: as we lower the dynamic of a sound, the high harmonics content decreases accordingly. Which means that we want to gradually increase the filtering as the velocity decreases. Now, with multiple layers, this technique can be applied to hide the velocity 'jump' between different samples from the same drum, or whatever instrument.
The thing is, let's say we have 3 drum hits from the same instrument: p, mf, ff. Let's say that these samples are assigned to those arbitrary velocities: p: vel. 0 to 60, mf: 61 to 100, ff 101 to 127. The (low pass) filtering would gradually decrease the harmonic content of the ff sample, with the velocity as a modulation source, until it reaches the velocity split, where the ff sample should ressemble as much as possible to the mf sample.
I'm not sure if and exactly how this can be achieved on various samplers. The only sampler I know of which you can program to filter from value y to value x is kontakt, but I'm sure there are workarounds to do it elsewhere.

The same principle should be applied to the attack of a sound, as the attack's shape is less steep as a sound is played softer.

More later...
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

King of Snake wrote:
I copied the settings as well as I could from the STS programs. The kit includes the second snare, just use drag and drop with "all but midi" selected to swap the cells of snare 1 with those of snare 2
To convert, can't you just export from STS as Akai and then load that into Battery, or doesn't that work properly?

Royston
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Thank you John for hosting the kit, I will upload the kit to a ftp today so we can share the traffic a bit.
As soon as I built the Kontakt banks I´ll post the programs in the preset forum Should be ready this evening.
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

On 2004-07-19 04:09, Counterparts wrote:
King of Snake wrote:
I copied the settings as well as I could from the STS programs. The kit includes the second snare, just use drag and drop with "all but midi" selected to swap the cells of snare 1 with those of snare 2
To convert, can't you just export from STS as Akai and then load that into Battery, or doesn't that work properly?

Royston
Heh, I never though of that (must be because I've never really used the STS or worked with akai programs before). Perhaps it works, I'll try it out.
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

well, it seems Battery can only import Akai from cd-rom. :roll:
At least it asks for a cd when you select "import akai" and it doesn't give you the option to browse your disks.
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

On 2004-07-19 07:35, King of Snake wrote:
At least it asks for a cd when you select "import akai" and it doesn't give you the option to browse your disks.
I know, isn't that annoying - same with Kontakt. All those lovely Akai samples, and I can't play them through Kontakt or Battery.
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

Thanks for the answer, guys.

Bit frustrating, no? :smile:

Royston
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

On 2004-07-19 08:27, Ben Walker wrote:
On 2004-07-19 07:35, King of Snake wrote:
I know, isn't that annoying - same with Kontakt. All those lovely Akai samples, and I can't play them through Kontakt or Battery.
How 'bout CDXTract?
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

[edited]sended the link to john for publication in private forum[/edited]

Thanks alot stige!

:smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcuspocus on 2004-07-19 17:44 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

Weren't these samplese prepared for planetz members only? Maybe add the links in the private forum...

I downloaded them, but now STS starts to crash my pc upon device loading again. Will try them later then.

Thanks a lot for your work, Stige!!
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Just added another mirror link, from marcuspocus to the private forum...

-John
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

and here are the Battery kits.
Enjoy! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King of Snake on 2004-07-20 08:45 ]</font>
melenko

Post by melenko »

Thank's a lot,i've heard the mp3demo,
it sounds very good.
i downloaded the files in exe,
i will try to find a way to use it,
on my mac under os9,with sfp.
very nice proposal
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

a big thank you Stige :smile:
bosone

Post by bosone »

i added my own kontakt program in the presets section
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Are the STS programs working properly?
When I try to load them, STS sample say "low memory" and nothing gets loaded. :sad:

Also, there seems to be absolute filepaths to the wave files?
Stige

Post by Stige »

Spoimala, as long as you keep the STS programs in the same folder with the samples, they should load fine. I've moved those folders all over my h/d and they load fine, so the paths shouldn't be absolute.

Low memory sounds new to me though, I suppose you have at least 512MB? Anyway, if you load only one program, there shouldn't be much requirement for memory. It might be related to something else. Are you using windows XP?
wayne

Post by wayne »

Well, Stige, your beaut kit inspired me to go out today and track down a 256 meg stick of pc133 and i wonder why i didn't do that years ago.

Double the grunt for sts! yay! there's life in the old box :grin:

Thanks again :smile:
grappa

Post by grappa »

Massive thanks for the effort you put into getting this lot together.

Regards,

Simon