Noah for OSX!! (No, I'm not kidding...)

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

CW has just released the first public release candidate for Noah on OSX! This is the first product of theirs to support OSX. Let's hope SFP follows soon.... :smile:

Shayne
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Another thing: Noah now also supports ASIO under Windows as well.

Because WDM was only thing they offered before, I imagine they've perfected their drivers by now. I hope they port them over to SFP soon!

Shayne
hubird

Post by hubird »

Good news Shaine!!
The first sign!
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Is Noah PCI? I don't suppose so the happiness is a false start :sad:
rrominet4

Post by rrominet4 »

PCI? why is it a problem. it works through USB (on the Mac Keyboard). I've seen it in action under Mac OS X and it works just like on pc.
If the pci was refering to the fact that it is not a great audio card, well, that's true, but I think Noah serves another purpose, it's not really a soundcard, but a synth with some soundcard possibilities. But Ithink you can do a live audio project on a few audio tracks (like 8 tracks) plus the rest in midi/live and it's fine.
I had nothing to do, so I thought i could give my 2 cents... :smile:
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

You missunderstood me. CW will support Noah on OSX (it's USB as you said) but it doesn't automaticaly mean CW will support SFP in OSX since CW cards are not G5 compatible. That's why I not so optimistic.
rrominet4

Post by rrominet4 »

ah ok, i misunderstood the point.
borg

Post by borg »

in the SoS review of SFP, it was mentioned that SFP4 (or whatever they will name it), including OSX support would be here in the last quarter of 2003.

OSX is around for quite some time now. the CW soft had to be 'completely' rewritten to run it under OSX (which they were working on). a big job, i guess, so i don't think they just stopped development when the G5 with it's new specs was announced.
but don't take my word for it... i just tell what i heard/read.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Besides, lots of people have OS X who use G4s and even G3s! The G5 is barely even shipping as of yet -- enough people have 5.5v Macs to make OS X worth it!

Shayne
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

More! More! Please, I want to hear it to belive it :cool: It brings us good vibrations!
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

I don't have Noah, but I downloaded the software to see how it looked on screen. It looked very good. It had none of the graphics wierdness that the first Macintosh Pulsar software had in OS9. All of the knobs and sliders seemed to work okay. The inserts worked very well in the Noah mixer. It gave me hope that SFP4 for OSX might actually come before the end of the year.
hubird

Post by hubird »

a bit OT, anyway, a friend of mine says CW should make a external box for the card to run in, and chain it to the mac by firewire.
This way you're independent from hardware devellopments inside the computer, you can easily use it with powerbooks, you have better hardware In/Out facilities, etc.
Is firewire a good and fast technic to do this?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2003-09-23 21:26 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

hubird, a magma does just that...

I'm happy for you mac guys to see a first Creamware product supported on OSX. I'm sure we haven't seen the end of Noah yet...
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

I'm sure we haven't seen the end of Noah yet...
THE END?? I'm sure we haven't seen even the beginning yet! Well, not quite sure but hope so. :wink:

Too bad they don't tell exactly what has changed in that software.. Okay, it's only the "SFP-side" of NOAH. I'm waiting desperately for firmware upgrade on HW side.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spoimala on 2003-09-24 03:53 ]</font>
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2003-09-23 22:56, at0mic wrote:
But magma is soooooooo expensive :sad:
grotools

Post by grotools »

1. Noah changes with v1.1 - Overview

In the following text, Noah Remote Software is referred to simply as „NRS“.

- There is now an ASIO driver which is capable of 2-channel playback and 6-channel record.
- There is a new Parameter Lock function which permits you to „freeze“ the selections of various inputs and outputs independent of presets.
- Preset names now appear immediately in the Noah display upon selection in NRS.
- Assignment of multiple mixer outputs to a single mixer channel is now also possible in NRS. The corresponding input(s) are indicated by a point in the selection list.
- In the mixer, the analog input can now be switched to two mono channels, so that mono signals can be more conveniently controlled (guitar, microphone, etc.)
- The B-2003 rotor has a new „Distance“ parameter.
- The acceleration behavior of the Performance Controllers can be adjusted separately per controller.
- The footswitch can now be used for preset switching.
- USB and MIDI can now be simultaneously set as MIDI In ports (all).
- General performance and loading-time optimizations for devices and graphics.
- The sizes of preset files have been reduced.
- The number of voices is now displayed via the Live Bar.
- NRS checks the Noah OS version upon startup.
- The Synchronizer has a new Delete function. Optional addin plug-ins can now be managed without problems.
- In the Noah menu ‘System -> Device’ there is a USBCom parameter [Windows, Mac/Linux] that determines which MIDI driver will be linked in during driver installation. Select Windows for all versions of Windows.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: grotools on 2003-09-24 07:02 ]</font>
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

On 2003-09-24 04:29, samplaire wrote:
On 2003-09-23 22:56, at0mic wrote:
But magma is soooooooo expensive :sad:
Actually a magma does not quite do that (firewire link) - it does it over PCMCIA or PCI. I guess Magma will update their PCI cards to fit in the G5s. I personally hope that Apple does not phase out the PCMCIA slot on their future powerbooks tho :z

Incidentally, keep an eye on ebay, I've seen Magma's sell for shockingly low prices there :razz:

peace
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

FireWire isn't fast enough to handle PCI. That's why no one has done it. :sad:

Shayne
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Firewire1 with 400meg/sec is 3 times faster than PCI (which is 133meg/s in the best mobo that exist).

Firewire2 with 800meg/s is 6 times faster than PCI.

The problem would be addressing the PCI card via a firewire bus. Not speed.

But i would definitely be interessed in a firewire solution for my cw cards.
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

PCI is 133MB/sec whereas firewire is 400Mb/sec which is 47.6837158203125 MB/sec according to this site: http://cyberwizardpit.net/calc.htm :wink:

sorry to be anal :razz:

But maybe the firewire 800 may be an option for the new Apple machines.. 95MB/sec should be pretty usable. however.. I don't know if theres much latency etc. involved with addressing this kind of system.. because data would need to be converted between firewire and PCI. For multiple streams this could get unusable.

peace