Problems with starting up projects

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ghandi

Post by ghandi »

Hello! I've got a problem with starting up some projects. During startup Pulsar/Windows suddenly crashes and gives a Kernell error and then the whole computer chrashes. I reinstalled pulsar but it didn't change anything. I have two pulsarI cards and a sts-4000. Does anyone know a solution? Thanks!
Nikibuzz

Post by Nikibuzz »

Defgragment your hard drive
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Could be heat related, try opening your case and leaving it open, make sure your room isn't super hot.

Also sounds like it could be bad sectors on your hard disk, or a bad stick of RAM (RAM is probably most likely, especially if your projects include the STS with samples).

Are you overclocking?
ghandi

Post by ghandi »

No, I'm not overclocking. How can I check bad RAM?
Mo

Post by Mo »

lend yourself another few dimms (from a friend) and change your ram. run the demo loop of quake3.

if the computer doesn´t crash or freeze within five minutes, all is fine.
Marc de Ruiter

Post by Marc de Ruiter »

See what module is loaded when crash occurs. Replace that one by a copy that's on the CD. Rebuild the project's.
Good luck,

Marc
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

You could try one stick at a time, to see if it's one of them.

Also you can "overclock" your RAM, running it on the incorrect FSB (Front Side Bus), some ram is "PC100" and some ram is "PC133." Make sure in your computer's BIOS (usually you press "delete" right as soon as you see the machine boot, it should say on screen) that this is set correctly. Also, you might try dropping your CAS timings from anything that might be at "2" down to "3" which is more conservative. This will be in your BIOS in Memory/Advanced or something area... If it works with more conservative settings like 100mhz (PC100) and CAS3, it could be the sample players pushing your RAM too hard.

I nearly always buy Crucial.com ram, PC133, CAS2, so I can run it at full speed, and then I'm sure its quality stuff.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I've requested to Michael Olsen (Timeworks plug-ins for Pulsar platform) which RAM he would recommend, and was told that Crucial.com RAM is one of the best and more stable memory trademarks in the whole computer market.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
ghandi

Post by ghandi »

Problem solved!!! It was bad memory. Thanks to everyone for the advices!!!