Questions for you about the forums?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

hey folks,

wondering your thoughts a couple things:

- should i create more forums? this is supposed to be a place to discuss pulsar problems and solutions. do you want another forum to talk about general pulsar stuff, or even forums related to specific devices/topics? or are you happy with just one big one?

- how fascist should i be about obnoxious (e.g. crackz/warez posts)? and anonymous posts?

thanks for your suggestions.
gelder_1

Post by gelder_1 »

dear john,

this forum is the best thing happened to me since i discovered the web a few years ago , so i want to thank you in the name of everyone for your great job.

personaly i prefer one big forum which discuss about every pulsar related problems and even once in a while problems which are not related with pulsar.
when you have more than one forum things can get lost , and not everybody reads your things.

about the second thing , my opinion is splited : the forum target is to talk about everything that intresting us the pulsar users , on the other hand , people who break the law should not be given the stage to talk here.

about the anonymus thing : if you have soemting to say , say it don't hide behind anonymus name , i regard a person who's anonymus in less serious.

sorry for writing so much , keep up the good work.
garyb

Post by garyb »

ditto
thanks!
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

When I try to access the Archived Forum, I get the message "This is a Private Forum. You do not have access to read this forum."

Is that what it's supposed to do, just sit there and taunt us? Heh, just kidding.

Thanks a lot John...
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

yep, taunting is key :smile:

i'll rename it to "private".
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

I like the idea of one big forum.
(or maybe two or three 1 problems/solutions
2 tips and tricks 3 device specific stuff

As per fascism: DaKrook is touting a bit. Warez are something people use in the privacy of their home, not for profit, and do not brag about. However, freedom of speech is important. I think anonymous people should not be allowed to post - they are uncredible/unaccountable. Registered posters should have freedom, though not exceptionless. I think DaKrook has crossed the line. Perhaps moderate such users and do not ban them - they might actually have something useful to say about using his cracked devices. . :wink: my $.02
Lotuz

Post by Lotuz »

This forum is fine the way it is, John. Too many sections can drive people nuts! :wink:
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

OK, i'll keep the one forum (along with the tips & tricks forum) and only add a new one if it seems to make sense.

re: freedom of speech, i completely agree, and that's why i let that warez thread go on as long as it did. however, it did in some ways seem to be an invitation to become a warez interchange forum, which is not what i want to see here!

re: dakrookk, he registered with a fake email address, so that's equivalent to anonymous posting.

i think i'll add some text to the Registration page to say "anonymous posting is not allowed. please register using a valid email address. invalid accounts will be deleted, along with the any posts by the invalid user".
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I like the idea of a "usage or devices" forum, since the Tips and Tricks seems to be a place to just dump your techniques with little discussion (and I kind of like it that way..)

A Device or Usage forum would be a discussion area to talk about which devices do what, how people use them, etc, and perhaps certain threads or posts would make themselves available in the Tips and Tricks section for reference, etc.

Or perhaps we should be using the Tips and Tricks forum like the proposed "Devices" forum already?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

It would be good to have an area where you could ramble on about more general things. If you try to start a more "thinkish" sort of philosophical thread it just gets buried.

One of the best things about this forum is that JC exists, posts and appears interested. Hello Ingo....
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

One other thought. In some forums they have "ranks" depending on how many posts you've made. Maybe this is a bit "cute" for here, but it's also a bit of fun, especially if the ranks are entertaining. Something like: knob novice, acolyte, advanced twiddler, device master, pulsar guru etc etc
Mo

Post by Mo »

i would like to have one additional forum for threads of non-technical things, some off topic, and some of that 'philosophical' stuff spirit talks about :grin:

and about freedom of speach: it´s important. but there is also the freedom of anonymity, especially in the internet. most law is following that, too.
i would say, one has to have the right to post anonyme, but he should not wonder about, if people don´t care much about. if one has to say something and the message is carried, a (real) name is only less important, or not?

Mo
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Hi John: Well, this forum is great as is. It really is and again, thank you! Honestly I would never ask you to do what I'm going to ask you to do for us if you didn't ask for it yourself.

I think we have far enough information due to the fact that any question is always answered independently of the forum being divided into several sections or not.

But… it is a good idea to organize it while it grows becoming bigger. To subdivide it is just to organize something that will in fact, be the same thing being one altogether. I know that we all (including myself) prefer a single forum for everything, but if I just get rid of my sluggishness, I prefer some subdivisions because at the end of the day you find everything in a faster way, it is better for you mind.

This forum is going to be "BIG" in a certain time so it is a good idea, I think, to organize it with some subdivisions, but… not many either.

It is not such a terrible work for us to press a couple of mouse clicks to get into a different area, is it?

You have just included the "General Purpose" area. I'm missing something… yes… Just one, and there is much relation with what Subhuman said:

"A Device or Usage forum would be a discussion area to talk about which devices do what, how people use them, etc".

I would like, very much, a section of the forum to talk about MUSIC CREATIVITY. A place to talk about the different ways to get different sounds, presets and combinations of devices to make music with Pulsar. The usage of "this device" with "that device" and HOW to use them including into it a MODULAR AREA. I know there is already a great modular area, but not in this forum. It would be nice to have everything together.

We have the "Problem Solving", "Tips & Tricks" and "General Pulsar Discussion". The first covers problems, the second tutorials and technical explanations, the third is our little "chat and musicians soup opera", and the one I'm proposing to open could be used to get the above said.

Well, that's what I think.

Nestor.
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

ok, i tend to agree with Nestor, as the forum is growing large.

I'll add a couple new forums, and people can always use the search feature if they're feeling lost.

cheers,
-john
criote

Post by criote »

I think there should be a project section,
where everybody could send one or more of his project files. We can all get some ideas
from eachother.After all this is what forums are for.

criote
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

there's an area of planetz for trading project files. see <a href="http://www.planetz.com/Pulsar/Patches.h ... s">here</a>.

hopefully later i'll be changing that section to be more like this forum.
-john
Stubbe

Post by Stubbe »

HI, really like the new forum layout, and I think it's gonna be great with the different forums, eventhough people may wanna post all posts in the biggest section (this one) because they know that most traffic is here. Whatever, time will tell :wink:

Also, I think John is very much entitled to censore his own forum, especially when someone like Da Krook comes along.

Maybe a (clear) set of rules is needed for netiquette, many different people come here (with no intention of doing wrong) and have very different opinions of how and what to post, causing unwanted verbal wars.

Just a thought :wink:

Thanks again John

Stubbe
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

I have been very opposed to any kind of censorship here, and this is the first time EVER that I have excercised the moderator's right to ban/censor.

This guy was just being so absurdly inflammatory and obnoxious, and openly encouraging warez trading of pulsar devices, including my own devices, that i felt it appropriate to excise his bad vibes from the forum.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Cooper on 2001-04-21 15:54 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

This really is a good idea Criote. We could probably load them into the Pulsar Devices page, could't we?

Nestor
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

This really is a good idea Criote. We could probably load them into the Pulsar Devices page, could't we?

Nestor