question for y'all

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

wavelength

Post by wavelength »

i take it, the volume cutout method i use in my demos is frustrating a few of you... (yet you still purchase! thank you!) however, when i previously had 3-minute timeouts, this was criticized, as well!

another problem with the timeout modules is that some users have bragged about finding ways around them, or simply sampling the synth's sounds and not registering... this is obviously disheartening for a developer like me.

so i get to my point: what would be the best way for a potential customer to demo a software product (while still appreciating a developer's desire to safeguard products against theft/ piracy)?

i would, sincerely, like some feedback on this... only serious replys, please!

-s

http://www.track0.com/wavelength/
swamay

Post by swamay »

I feel that you should allow a 4 hour demo, this gives the musician time to play with the controls, and feel the module out. If there are things like multiple oscillators, then just allow the use of 1 in the demo version.
The fact is, most people that try these demos probably dont do much with them. There are so many synths out there, they will maybe get a sound or 2 out of it and then thats it. I feel devolpers should make more usable plugs like SDS or Saturn, that way it will keep those that are hungry for free stuff satisfied, so they wont try to rape every unit they can find when it comes out.

~swamay~
http://www.mp3.com/swamay
http://www.swamay.com
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Hello there!

I think that (as a purchaser) that when you try something out it should preferably work 100%, not just some filters
or to be under the volume cut-out method pressure, etc., so you can appreciate without restrains what would it be like
if you had it at home.

I most understand your need to keep your work under supervision and so the need to have a clear, secure and absolute
restriction at some point in some way, obviously.

My conclusion: "Every developer of Pulsar-Scope platform should stick to the very same standard as given
by Creamware and its own demos at all levels: time-out time, method protection, etc. That way you give a
professional impression to your potential clients as well and we all know what we are doing".

I hope that my answer could give you any idea. And allow my to congratulate you for your magnificent job! :grin:

Nestor.
Stubbe

Post by Stubbe »

I agree with the above.

I think it makes most sense that the device works 100% for the user to test it thoroughly and then stops completely after a certain time (4 -10 hours) and sort of asks "OK mate, you've had your pennys worth of fun, what's it gonna be ?"

Personally, I find it hard to evaluate the tonal quality of a device with the volume fluctuations, eventhough I can use this limited demo as long as I want to.

The time-limited 100% working device makes me test the device more concentrated, usually I am making a single project with the device and almost nothing else, only pulling in other devices (synths) for comparison.

This does, however, not fix the sampling-problem, I can not see any way around this.
If I am able to hear the device properly, I can also sample it :sad:

Keep up the good work wavelength !
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I'm also a fan of the "use it once" school. You hear it, play it, save on it (maybe), twiddle all the knobs etc for a set time and that's it. Once only.

ps: have you seen the post "fantastic idea to promote pulsar" ? Is that something that could be developed by a third party (Wavelength!) then sold as a cut-price Pulsar device developers kit?

This time I'd really appreciate your feedback.

cheers,
Spirit
swamay

Post by swamay »

my thoughts on the non 100% working demo is because who wants to use or sample a synth that is partly functional. It is a DEMO.
You want the whole thing, buy it, and support the time the developer took to make it.
If it is not a "selling feature" on the synth, then maybe is doesnt "have" to be included. Of course we all would want a full working version so we could use it once to make a track, but then people are just going to download demos and use them once to make a track. There is alot of free stuff out there, why would they buy it?

But if you give them a "limited" demo, that shows the features of the unit, and you are able to toy with those features, that is fair enough.
At least there are demos! I remember when you had to buy it to try it.

Thanks for the demos!

~swamay~
http://www.swamay.com
http://www.mp3.com/swamay
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

I think that DSPDev:s way is the best. You can use for as long as you want. No dropouts in sound, but you can't change any parameters and there are only like 5 presets.That way you can try how it sounds but can't really use it since you can't change anything.
huicholity

Post by huicholity »

hi,
i think also the "frozen knobs" demo is a good way to evaluate the device without the problem of connect it quickly to be able to hear something...
we use also this kind of demo on huicholity devices like the pedalpack but it doesn't suit to all devices , for example tempo-based values...
best regards,
<huicholity>
http://www.huicholity.com
bosone

Post by bosone »

why not a "beep" "crackle" or "no sound" every 40 - 60 seconds? or the device must be reloaded after, say 4 or 5 minutes
interloper

Post by interloper »

Frozen knobs are good and I prefer that method, as dropouts make it very difficult to gauge the real value of the synths/effects. I realize that you may not be able to include as many presets as you want...

Also, those that sample the synths will then only be able to grab sounds from the presets, and nothing beyond that, no changing envelopes, filters, effects, etc.

btw. Thanks for the LO fi, love it!!!

interloper