Ram?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Matt

Post by Matt »

Anyone know if more than 256mb is necessary for Pulsar II and Cubase/Logic. That's the amount recommended when I was investigating the Pulsar card.

Are there any benefits to more RAM. Cubase 3.7 is working well but Logic Audio Plat struggles after 6 audio tracks (ASIO overload messages, is this normal?)

Anyway as it is so cheap at the moment I just wondered if it would be a worthwile purchase, and if it would help Logic to perform better. Or could the problem be with LOGIC?

Thanks
gelder_1

Post by gelder_1 »

ram , my friend , is the most important thing in the system (in most cases even more than the cpu), higher is better and if you can aford yourself to fill those dimm slots with it , do it , it'll make everything work better and faster.
my system runs pulsar ii on p-iii 933 with 256mb of ram , i just added 128mb , you won't believe the difference , as for your logic problem i cannot answer since i'm a cubase guy.

but remeber , in general it'll make your logic perform better for sure.
Matt

Post by Matt »

That's good news. Off shopping next week then!

Cheers
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I'd almost say 256megs is the MINIMUM amount of RAM I'd run Pulsar+Sequencer with. 512megs is much, much better.

On a Mac, I'd say 384 is the bare minimum I'd want to deal with. Everything is just so much faster with more RAM.

Looks like RAM prices are rising again, get more cheap while you can.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Not whatsoever doubt fellow, go for it!

I started with 128 because prices were ridiculous, and had obvious problems with samples. Then I went to 256 and things would run much better and could have more audio tracks as well. Now, because ram is so cheap, I've risen it to 512 and the system works much, MUCH better. Particularly when after having recorded many audio tracks, I want to use several FXs within VST. I can also load many more sampler players, synthesizers and FXs in Pulsar, and of curse having more polyphony.

RAM is essential

Nestor.
swamay

Post by swamay »

i have 512MB too on a 933 mhz PIII. Pulsar works great with that amount of RAM.
~swamay~