Comment on Computer System?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

synthhore

Post by synthhore »

I just ordered a system and wondered if I'm looking at any Pulsar/Sonar conflicts... I have PulsarI, LunaII and ModII..and I'll be getting Sonar this week. Thanks for any imput...
PROCESSOR AMD New Athlon(Thunderbird) Processor at 1.2GHz, 200MHz FSB, 256K Cache MAIN BOARD ASUS A7V-133 VIA KT-133A 4X AGP Socket A 200/266MHZ FSB UDMA-100
I maxed it out with RAM, as you suggest....
MEMORY 768MB PC-133 SDRAM (3 X 256MB Modules) HARD DRIVE 60GB Ultra DMA 100 7200RPM Hard Drive VIDEO Matrox G450 32M AGP Dual Output Video Card CD/DVD Delta 12X DVD-ROM Drive CD-RW None. SOUND Creative Sound Blaster PCI 3D 128V Sound Card MODEM Internal Motorola 56K V90 Modem w/Voice NETWORK CARD None. FLOPPY DRIVE 1.44MB 3 1/2 Floppy Disk Drive CASE Medium Tower AMD Certified 300W ATX Case 3305 KEYBOARD Microsoft PS/2 Elite Ergonomic Windows Keyboard MOUSE Microsoft IntelliMouse PS/2 SPEAKERS MLI 460 450W Stereo Speakers w/Subwoofer MONITOR Elements Cyclone 7A 17" 0.27dp 1280X1024 Digital Control Monitor OS Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition SERVICE Standard 3 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty PRINTER None. ZIP DRIVE Internal 250MB Zip Drive (No Disk) STORAGE MEDIA None. FIREWIRE CARD ADS Pyro Digital Video 1394 FireWire PCI Card 3-Port SOFTWARE BUNDLE Sun Micro StarOffice 5.2 Application Suite ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE None. Price: $1832.00
I know...should have built one myself...
Mo

Post by Mo »

there are many people who <b><i>do</i></b> build ´em by theirselfs... and that´s not always better :wink:

no, i think you´ve got a fine system there, good choice. <b><i>have fun!</i></b>

ähm, btw, can you tell me the date when sonar is brought out? or is it already?

mfg
Mo
synthhore

Post by synthhore »

It's been shipping for a week, at least. Most reponses are very positive and altho I understand midi overall is not much changed, everything else is being applauded by most.

news.cakewalk.com
product.Sonar

http://logicgroups/cakewalk-sonar

Thanks for your comments.
synthhore

Post by synthhore »

Reply...
Sorry...don't know where logic came from. The Yahoo Sonar Link:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CakewalkSonar
Stubbe

Post by Stubbe »

Hi synthhore, or should it be pchore ? :smile:)

Your system seems OK to (but I´m no expert, I shall hastily admit....) except that more people seems to have troubles with VIA-chipsets that Intel 815 ones, and maybe you will be able to overload the PCI bus with both Pulsar and a Creative card and a Firewire card running at the same time ?
Pulsar and Creative have been mentioned here as not good room-mates :sad:

There's a lot of things you can do if you get troubles, but I gues we will be hearing from you then.... :wink:

I hope I have not spoiled the fun of anticipation of your monster, have fun !

Cheers
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I'm not an expert either, but I can tell you that many of the most common problems I've heard in this forum since started and some very nasty comments against Creamware were unjustified. Why? Because those problems where created by SYSTEM CONFIGURATION and INCOMPATIBILITIES in most cases.

I bought my computer from AREA51UK, a cool and really professional team of engineers and musicians. So, I just want you to feel comfortable, I don't thing you did a mistake paying a little more money for somebody who KNOWS to build a professional system for you. Yes, you can probably save some money building a system yourself, but you would spend it in a psychiatrist otherwise because an incompatible system it really is a nightmare.

Here it is the web if you ever want to have a look a SERIOS people building PCs exclusively for music:

http://www.area51uk.com/index.html

Good choice man.

Nestor.
Mo

Post by Mo »

On 2001-04-05 12:31, Stubbe wrote:

people seems to have troubles with VIA-chipsets that Intel 815 ones, and maybe you will be able to overload the PCI bus with both Pulsar and a Creative card and a Firewire card running at the same time ?
Pulsar and Creative have been mentioned here as not good room-mates :sad:
<font size="4" face="times new roman">
like Nestor says i also think that most of these problems were related to the OS configuration of these people.
and i have read such postings as often as i have read postings which authors had no problems at all with same components. (and people with problems post far more often than people without, so i guess most of the people are doing fine... :grin:)

and, no doubt, the asus a7v133 is one of the best athlon boards currently available. good choice.

gruß,
Mo</font>