aaah.....the mysterious crackles

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fevertrax

Post by fevertrax »

This appears to be a known problem (also one that creamware never adresses, or at least i have found nothing from them in the archives)...anyway, here is the problem:

No matter what sampler programes i use (akai, or the ones I made myself) and no matter what sampler i use (sts 4000, or the small sample players in pulsar) the crackles never fail to accompany the sound that i expect. What is this due to? I have done considerable tweaking and making sure i am not overdriving the sampleplayers...I just can;t get rid of the crackles...and i know it has to be sample playing, for other synths handle the midi input w/o the crackles.

I use pulsar2, cubase 3.7 r2, on p3 1.0 ghz, 256MB 133MHz SDRAM

thanx, people
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Hi, all I know is that I had some crackles when had little Ram, but not after that. How much Ram does your system has?

I don't know why but sometimes when I get those crackles I would just close Pulsar, making sure that the icon at the bottom bar is being seen. Then I restart my work and everything is now working fine.

I think that it is important as well to check how many audio tracks are you using at the same time. This is another way to get crackles, I would get a lot of them if I would use more than 28 tracks at the same time because the power of the computer is drained.

I don't know about any other thing but those ones because I've experienced them all myself, hope you find the right answer here.

Nestor.
Stubbe

Post by Stubbe »

Sometimes a non-optimized Windows install or another program can cause cracles.

I once had Acrobar reader open in the background for consulting the manual, and the crack-o-meter went wild !

Your system seems allright to me (I have 650 MHz PIII, 256 MB PC100 RAM, Pulsar I + Pulsar II SRB on a Abit BE6-II mobo (440BX chipset) running Logic Gold, and NO crackles).

I suggest you keep your W98 installation completely clean; no games, no internet, no office-package, just you, your sequencer and Pulsar !

A dual boot system is good when you want to do other things with your computer besides music, obviously you do ! :wink:.

Run defragmenter, Scandisk and System file checker (sfc.exe) often to keep it healthy, you can also free some resources using TweakUI to avoid loading Windows utillities you do not need.

System information -> System configuration can also help you spot those pesky programs that start up even when you dont want them to !

Just be careful what you do in TweakUI and system configuration, I advise one adjustment at a time and maybe you want to write down what you do, so you can go back ? :wink:

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Stubbe