A yes or no answer please to stop me going nuts

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Cubase is making me go nuts, specifically the "export audio" part. I've posted elsewhere on the specifics ("export audio woe"), but here I just need to know one thing:

You've recorded a standard midi track in Cubase and it's happily triggering a Pulsar synth. Can you use the Cubase "export audio" function to turn this part into a wav file?

A "no" answer will end my agony.
A "yes" answer will inspire me to continue the fight.

So, yes or no ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spirit on 2002-01-01 00:32 ]</font>
spacef

Post by spacef »

no you can't , you must record audio, you can only export what is "inside" cubase.
use ctrl+"+", after muting the tracks you don't want (or solo the ones you want) and after putting locators to the portion you want to record (it's easier)
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Drats and rats. But what's that about muting tracks and setting the locators ?! That's what you do when you're about to export audio. So here's another question: am I totally missing the point or is that an ambiguous answer? I'm just getting more confused.

This is no way to start the new year :mad: :cry:
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

btw: .... and you can export audio and vst-instrument which going trough master section of cubase mixer. you can't export what's going trough cubase buses....

sometimes i use wavelab like master recorder. everything what's going on monitors you can conect to wave destination, then open wavelab, do record on, then play song from cubase.
second way is to recording everything on 2 chanels of cubase - master out of pulsar pult you must conect to asio dest!
sorry about english
sandro

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sandrob on 2002-01-01 02:25 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I'm feeling like a newbie here....

So can you get Pulsar synths triggered by midi to go through the master mixer so you can export as audio ?
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

no! only if you use xtc!
if you want use automatic mix of cubase then export everything on master mix you must every pulsars instrument (audio) record in cubase first!
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

OK, I think I'm getting close to the awful truth then (and a quick retreat back to Acid and pure audio), but there's one last question:

How then does anyone use Cubase midi tracks and Pulsar ? Does this mean that when your DSPs run out everyone then manually samples their midi tracks into some other program like Sound Forge and then dumps the wav file back in as audio ?

This is a whole new - tedious - world. No wonder I've always just stuck to pure audio.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Exactly.. better yet, you'd play back the midi in cubase, and then just use a new audio track in cubase to record it as you play it back. (so everything is in sync after you record them) Unless you do that.. you'd need like 2 scope boards to do everything in real time!!

Not the prettiest way to get things done, but so far, it's what I've settled down to. Any better ideas?
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

use program like sound forge as external wave editor whille you working in cubase or for "2 track master recording". you don't have to record every part separetelly in sound forge then manually put in cubase. you can use "multy record" function in cubase to record everything from pulsar trough the groups or direct outs to asio dest - in separete chanels of cubase in real time.
this option have sense if you want use cubase "automatic audio mix" and vst master efects for pulsar stufs.
if you don't need this you can use pulsars automatisation to record everithing (together) in sound forge or 2 tracks of cubase or external recorder.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Well, that's almost good news. Recording the midi track to a new audio track sounds pretty close to "export audio" anyway. In the case of a midi drum pattern this would then give you a perfect audio loop wouldn't it? I'm going to try this out right now....
spacef

Post by spacef »

+ you should disable "cycle" when recording audio tracks) and have the "_/- " sign (at the right of the cycle button) enabled, so record stops automatically at the end of your loop (so you get the smallest wav possible).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spacef on 2002-01-01 04:15 ]</font>
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

OK, I've followed all that advice, and the advice here:
http://service.steinberg.net/knowledge. ... /mid2audio
But after this bit of cheesy advice: "Ready for recording ! Make sure the selected track is the audio track where you want the new audio part to appear.
... and go !"

And "go" ?! What the hell does "and go" mean? Go what, press what, twiddle what? I don't see any "go" button. (There's no "any" key either :smile: ).

Please, one last hint. I know I owe a few favours after this, but I can't see how to record the midi track to audio...
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

You "arm" the audio track, by pushing a red button (I think). It should be the same as the one you use to arm midi tracks when you record them. Then, you press the record button in the transport window. That should do it.
And make sure your Pulsar synth out is connected to whatever channel the armed audio track is recording from. You can probably do that in the routing/audio mixer window.
But my advise could be wrong cuz I use Nuendo. Should be similar tho.
Mail me at magronbass@msd.biglobe.ne.jp if you need further advice. I'm roaming about my house with out much to do so I'll be able to give you quick assistance. :smile:
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

ha, ha, ha!!!!!! gooooooo! go home :wink:
in this case "go" means "record" and in your case "ext. synth" means "pulsar synth(s)".
in this example they use multimedia driver, but if you want use "multy record" in cubase you must use "asio scope" and then you be able to activate more vst inputs.
this is so simple - you will see... when you learn!!
go!!! :roll:
spacef

Post by spacef »

go = record (and rzecord is a red button).
Selct the track you xwant to record in, then play what has to be played.

Multitrack recording ? that's not the easiest : check the manual, you have to select a special mode for multi recording and the "seperate by channel" option :smile:

Here, "play in the background" doesn't work when i'm in "multi channel record" mode...
(play in the back = when switching different app windows...)

see you
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

Here, "play in the background" doesn't work when i'm in "multi channel record" mode...
(play in the back = when switching different app windows...)
:???:
you talk about cubase?! for me works when playing and recording in any windows!
spacef

Post by spacef »

yes, i don't know why, it doesn't play when i switch to pulsar windows for ex... this is Only in Multi track recording, no problem when i record a simple stereo track.
I thought that was normal :eek:
well, i 'll check it again later on.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I'm almost insane, but hang on with the desperate hope of a gambler convinced that my next twiddle will bring the big pay-off...

Yes, I'm still trying to get my midi track to record to an audio track in VST.

Here's how far I've got:

- recorded the midi track into VST (version5)
- checked ASIO is communicating ok
- checked sample rates etc
- created a target audio track with matching channels
- muted everything except these two tracks
- set the left and right punch-in locators
- switched off the loop
- hit "record"

Everything looks like it's working. It even asks me where I want the wav and then creates it - a nice big file. But as always, there's nothing there even though it claims to be a Mb or two. And sometimes in the mute column of the audio track I get a little "M" - if I click on it it turns into a mute blob with the "M" still inside. Significant?

This is really getting to me - not to mention eating away at my "music" holiday with a frustrating technical problem.

What am I missing? (Don't say "brains" :lol: )
spacef

Post by spacef »

First, ** while playing** , select the track you want to record in,
then open VST mixer and hit "IN" button near the top of the vu meters,
- IN allows to see your incoming signal : if nothing, well check your connection in Pulsar (to the asio-dest).
- If something, then audio is coming and something will be recorded when you hit Record.
- Also, sometimes volumes recorded are very low and you see no waveform, but it's there.

good luck
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

Hi Spirit. It sounds to me like you're not routing the Pulsar synth output to the channel you've record activated in Cubase. Can you monitor the audio level of your Pulsar synth in the Cubase mixer (by selecting the "In" at the top of the channel display)? That should tell you if Cubase is receiving the Pulsar synth output.
/dave

...oops I see SpaceF beat me to it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dbmac on 2002-01-02 11:09 ]</font>