Which AMD Motherboard works best with Pulsar 1 (by Dave)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: Which AMD Motherboard works best with Pulsar 1

The ones with the new 760 chip set seem to be fine, so were some older ones. Unfortunately the chip sets KT/KX 133 often cause PCI performance problems.

Ingo,
CreamWare

Post by Guest »

All reports about via where with the a version of the southbridge, l don´t know how the b version is performing, also there was a claim that they used an v-link technology with tkaes the ide bus off of the pci bus so these would help (the pIII asus cusl mobo seems to get it´s crown of best pulsar mobo from a similar feature).

And already it is avalaible an iwil mobo based in the alimagik chipset , don´t know if some has experience with it, Any?

Post by Guest »

Subject: no but leave it with the dealers...

alimagik is tested already and found far not as performant as a single-data-rate-ram chipset - that´s not great for an ddr-chipset...

well, also the 760´s ram-performance is disappointing. from via there is a new version of the kt-133, the kt-133a. it supports all the new amd processors, especially those with the new 133mhz-ddr fsb, and is, using single data rate ram, almost as performant as 760 with double data rate. just 3d-applications does the 760 a few percent better. might be because of the early versions of the boards, might be ddr ram is worse than rambus ram, we´ll see...

gruß,
Mo

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: no but leave it with the dealers...

l readed that tests about general perfomance in tom´s and Anand hardware webs, but they don´t are related to my question, the pci perfomacne wich would be a "pulsar specific" test, l mean, the hability of the mobo to not annoy us with pci overflow messages, that is the class of perfomance l am interested mostly,in the side of pure fpu perfomance wich is the used mostly by audio aplications the diference of perfmance in those chipsets will be minimun and in any case the ali magik is still a litle bes perfomancer that the current via 133 so still it would be an step beyond.

Post by Guest »

Oops, did not intend to be anonymous ;-)

Post by Guest »

I've got no problems with the Asus K7V.

Post by Guest »

Subject: What other hardware do you have

Like video Hard drives ,stuff like that.

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: What other hardware do you have

Hi Dave,

My configuration is:

AMD Athlon 800 Mhz
128 MB PC133 RAM
Elsa Erazor III
2 IBM HardDrives
Maxi Studio Isis Soundcard (8 Analog In)
Creamware Pulsar
Panasonic A05SZ DVD
HP 9110i CD-Writer

It works great :-)

Sorry for my english....

Post by Guest »

Subject: alimagik < via < intel solano

well, in the tests i read the alimagik wasn´t as good as the via chipset, by far...
and v-link will be used with via´s future chipsets, not in the actual ones. from amd there is a similar technology, but intel´s pendant is already available, the i8xx-series.
i own a asus p3b-f, and i think about buying a cusl-2 because a few weeks ago i got my first pci-overflow. (was the only one till now, but if i have a heavier use on the system this year, maybe they will visit me more often...)

i always recommended the 440bx, but it seems that i815 solano is far better for working with pulsar. it´s e-ide contollers are not longer connected as an pci-device - the pci bus now has its whole bandwidth for its cards.

and, apart from what rainer hain from keyboards is saying, that IS indeed a reason, why solano is the better chipset.