midi echo in logic?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

electrocowboy

Post by electrocowboy »

How does one turn off MIDI echo in Logic? My manual says something brief about midi feedback, but I can't find the setting. I'm getting MIDI loops from hell via my Pulsar environment (option 2 in the Pulsar manual).

thanks!
horrn

Post by horrn »

hi,
1) first you should have to make a right setup... means: wire your keys to midi in, wire the midi-source to sequencer-in, then the sequencer-out to the module you wanted to play ... if its a outboard keyboard/synth wire the seqeuencer-out to the pulsar-midi-out!
2) there´s a setting in logic allowing you to play midi-data trhu! turn it on. you should hear your synthsounds now....

3) most important: it can ever happen that you get midi-feedbacks, then you can send midi-note-off to all notes on all channels by clicking the midioutmonitorwindow in the transportwindow of logic... try it, you should see it counting the midinotes!

good luck

t.
electrocowboy

Post by electrocowboy »

Thanks. . .maybe I should be more specific about the problem. Here is the excerpt from the Pulsar manual that I'm trying to emulate:

>b) Connect the Pulsar Midi Source to the
>Sequencer Midi dest, and also to the
>synthesizer’s MIDI input. When you play
>the keyboard, the MIDI data are supplied
>simultaneously to the sequencer and the
>synthesizer. If you now want to hear the
>sequencer track play back, you must
>connect the Sequencer Midi source to the
>synthesizer input. Since two outputs
>cannot be directly connected to a single
>input, you must use the Midi Merger
>module to combine the Pulsar Midi
>Source and Sequencer Midi source
>signals. In this case, disable MIDI echo
>in the sequencer to avoid doubling the
>signal, which could lead to notes
>misfiring, delays, or stuck notes.

Unfortunately, I'm getting massive midi feedback. Everything else is set up correctly as far as I can tell. Do you know where the setting is within Logic? Thanks for your help.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i use logic and run-midi source to sequencer dest- sequencer source to midi dest to synth.to monitor just record enablr the track you are creating.i have however set up in parallel the way you describe,but since my keybourd is stritcly for data entry, i never have encountered your problem.you could try turning off the local control on your synth so that the synth portion of your kb can only receive orders via midi input as though it were a module.
electrocowboy

Post by electrocowboy »

It's weird--I'm only controlling externally as well. All the synths I'm using are Pulsar native. I get crazy stuck notes in both Logic and Pulsar, and have to reboot both programs. Hmm.
Ora

Post by Ora »

...maybe try going to the setting > midi options > & deselecting all of the 'lit up' green icons (i'm still new to using logic)
...I think i had some sort of the same problem - where everything moved hella slow but once i did that - somehow, everything was fine....

I'm not sure if thats what was happening to you - but hope that helps a bit maybe....

Good Luck!
horrn

Post by horrn »

anyway ...

unfortunately it´s not written in the manual like i´m did it ever....
so:

if you would have wired it like it´s written there, there wouldn´t be feedback.... but anyway!
please try wiring it like this (i wrote before)
- pulsarmidiin to sequencer in
-> causes: a signal is coming into the seqeuncer

- seqeuncer out to your pulsarsynth
-> causes: the signal is floating thru your sequencer into your instrument

if not make sure the midi-thru is enabled in logic...

good luck and merry x-mas

t.