Solution to Reverb - PCI problem?! (by Mattias)

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Post by Guest »

Dear all,

Many of us have probably experienced the frustration with getting PCI overflow when trying to use a more sophisticated reverb than the poor one provided in the Pulsar package. I now understand that there is no Pulsar solution to this problem, and have for a while been routing AUX to Cubase VST, using VSTs reverbs. But, this is a cumbersome and frustrating experience as well, as it can only been done in recording mode,etc, etc.

My solution to the problem would be the following:
Create a windows application that can use VST plugins (much like the effect rack in VST) and can connect to any of the ASIO in/outs. This way I could send my AUX from Pulsar via ASIO to the application, let the application route the signal to a VST plugin and forward the plugin output via ASIO back to Pulsar. The application should be able to co-exist with VST.

Theoretically it should work, as I today can:
* use plugins in VST and Wavelab at the same time
* get virtually zero latency with Pulsar and ASIO/plugins in VST (appr 7 ms on my mahcine!)
* Its all standard, so it should not be too difficult coding?!

So, all programming wizards out there, please start coding away. I am waiting...

Regards /mattias

Post by Guest »

Subject: VST problem

You can do that Logic since 4.5.0. There is a new tracktype called Audio input objects.When you connect something from Pulsar you hear it without having to record it.Protools has this function too.It'll probably be implemented in Cubase too, sooner or later.

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: Solution to Reverb - PCI problem?!

Just want to add that we could improve the PCI interface of our cards due to some newer chips that are available now.
With our new cards (PowerSampler, Luna, Elektra, Pulsar II, SCOPE II it is possible - provided there is enough DSP power and a good motherboard - to run 7 - 11 (!!) reverbs like the Timeworks 4080 without PCI overflows.

Ingo,
CreamWare

Post by Guest »

Will this improvement occur using a combination of an Pulsar I and one of the second generation cards?

Post by Guest »

Subject: I can´t even use 1 reverb

I have Pulsar l and SRB, ASUS P3B-F, 256Mb ram,only the pulsarboards and a scsi interface but I can´t even use 1 reverb when I use Cubase.I can use atleast one sometimes two whith wawe-based programs.
Why is my PCI performance so bad?I think that I´ve done all the trics to optimize my computer to a DAW.

Thanks in advance for good ideas.

Kim

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: I can´t even use 1 reverb

Do you use any USB devices? If so, try to disable USB for a test (in the BIOS)

Ingo,
CreamWare

Post by Guest »

Subject: re:-I can't even use 1 reverb

Hi Kim
I run an Adaptec 2940 U2W scsi card with an Asus P3B-F,256 ram and can run a PT 2024L or a Verb Pro with 16 channels of audio streaming from Logic.
I don't know if you have already changed your scsi card's sync transfer rate but if you haven't it should drastically change your PCI performance by doing so.
This is how you go about it:
1.As you boot up you will see an option for Scsi select Tm utility.For my scsi card I Press Ctrl A to enter the utility(you are informed of which keys are needed to enter as the Scsi select option is given).
2.Go to :-"Configure/View host adapter settings"
3.Go To :-"Scsi Device Configuration"
4.If your running U2W you'll find the sync transfer rate is 80Mb/sec,if running standard scsi:40Mb/sec
I have found that I can set the rate as low as 20Mb/sec and succesfully run Logic Audio alongside Pulsar,(10Mb/sec is to slow for Logic).I suppose the best thing to do is to experiment with different transfer rates until you can run everthing you want to on the lowest settings.

I hope this helps if you haven't already performed this little tweak.
Good Luck Lov 43

Post by Guest »

Subject: reducing scsi performance.

Thanks.
I know this option,but I didn´t reduce it so much,but I I´ll try with 20 Mb.By the way I run U2W.
I think the quality of the drivers for the scsi cart means a lot as well.

Kim

Post by Guest »

Hi Mattias!
Look at www.fxpansion.com for their forthcoming
RealFX (is that the name???). It´s might be a solution.
But there is further the latency of your system...

Ralf

Post by Guest »

None of the devices I bought from Obsidian(=fxpansion)was functioning properly and usable. Their support is limited to accusing Creamware of wrong midi implementation. You better beware!
Marc

Post by Guest »

Subject: True, but

A software that would take the mixed 2-track from Pulsar and allow the usage of C4, Ultramaximizer and other DirectX/VST mastering tools to be used in real time would be nice. Then the software would route the signal back to Pulsar or directly to, say, SoundForge.

Concerning reverbs, buy the TC Electronic M-One. Doesn't get any easier.

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: re:-I can't even use 1 reverb

Thanks for responding.
When I dissable USB I can run fx. pt 2020,it´s not enough to reduce the scsi cart performance to 20 Mb,but I need at least 4 i/o midi ports.Whats the alternative to use USB midiports?

Post by Guest »

Subject: alternative to usb

I know that emagics AMT8 midi interface has serial connections as well as usb so if you're using logic then that would be an excellent choice..

Post by Guest »

Subject: Re: alternative to usb

Thanks.
I´ll take a look at that possibility.

Kim
LHong

Post by LHong »

Subject: MIDI interfaces

Any MIDI port-interface that doesn't be used the PCI protocol like-wise serial, paralell ports, ISA-interface, it should works. (ISA would be best)
Some MIDIMAN products currently has both USB and SERIAL ports.
Hope this helps,
Long

Post by Guest »

Subject: re FXpansion / Obsidian

Marc,

Which devices did you buy, and when? I'm not aware of any such complaint, perhaps you bought some old Obsidian devices before the merger?

We've not experienced anything unresolvable - touch wood - with any of the post-merger devices - AnaFX, PsychoAcoustix, Series One and UltraBundle. Some of the PowerUP devices are older and pre-date the merger, so I personally can't vouch for those.

Regards,
Angus Hewlett
Director of Development
FXpansion Audio - http://www.fxpansion.com

Post by Guest »

Subject: RT.FX

Our forthcoming program, which is now in beta, is called RT.FX, and it'll do just as you want using ASIO. We might well add EASI support before release, so you can use it with whichever Pulsar driver object you have available. EG, if Cubase is using the ASIO port, you can use RT.FX with the EASI.

Everything is MIDI-automated, and because it's not a big, heavy DAW software, just a mixer and effects host, you can run at very low latency indeed.