Long audio hangs and startup times in applications

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bootleggerjones

Long audio hangs and startup times in applications

Post by bootleggerjones »

Hi,

I've put my old PCI pulsar 2 and Pulsar 1 card in my windows 10 machine. Mostly'y the cards work great still!

However, I've noticed that some audio on my computer seems to hang for 30 secs to a minute when starting. I see this when trying to watch a YouTube video, it will take almost a minute before the video starts.

Also, I use Guitar Pro 7 and it takes over a minute to startup. After that seems to work fine. This also happens with other apps. Cubase or Reapers starts up fine when the audio drivers are selected. I also thought it might be an ASIO isuue? dunno?

I assume I have a setting wrong. I've re-installed drivers. Uninstalled the Realtek drivers on my machine. When I remove the cards the audio stuff works great. Is there some kind of system tweaking I can try or IRQ setting I should be aware of?

I have ASUS H87 plus Mother board updated to the latest BIOS, 16 GB Ram, Scope 7 64 bit (latest version as far as I know)

I seem to only have problems switching from the Realtek hardware to the scope (it just hangs for a minute before anything happens) once the switch is made everything works fine.

I also reinstalled windows on another Hard drive to test the problem and the same thing happens.

Anybody else has problems like these?

Thanks
valis

Re: Long audio hangs and startup times in applications

Post by valis »

My suggestion would be to leave all system sounds including web browsers and general media players assigned to your Realtek (onboard) soundcard. Use Scope for ASIO & native scope stuff.

Also, this may have changed, but Scope seems happiest when not set as a startup item and when the properties panel for the Scope card in device manager has 'reset board when idle' disabled.
bootleggerjones

Post by bootleggerjones »

Yes tried all of that. Still same problem. Seems to be worse after Windows 10 - 1903 update.

Any other suggestions?
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

yeah that is interesting. I've experienced the same thing on my Q8200 Win 10 machine. (it's prob 10yrs+ old) Once the browser or program is open everything seems to run fine without any glitches. Personally I suspect it's a Win10 security thing but that's only a hunch. Or it could be Avast related.
I run Scope 7 PCI on this machine but not any DAW so can't really comment on that aspect.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:27 am Or it could be Avast related.
That should be easy to find out ...
Right click icon in systray and choose deactivation options from pulldown menue,- decativate for 10min, 1hr, ´til next reboot or forever.

:)

Bud