PCI Overflow Problem

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marco

PCI Overflow Problem

Post by Marco »

:-? Hallo guys, I have chrashing PC with my scope cards. And always anoying pci Overflow message with only 8 Audio streams going into my DAW and 8 coming out.

Now I want to make the changes in my BIOS. There was a description online but I don't know where. The Internet Site has changed.....
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
valis

Re: PCI Overflow Problem

Post by valis »

Let's start with your machine configuration. What is your motherboard make/model and CPU?

Also, remind us of your Scope card configuration, and what other devices you have installed (GPU, network cards etc) in expansion slots.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Formerly he said it´s Intel z97 chipset ...
That´s typically proc socket 1150 ...

He owns 3 SCOPE PCI cards.
So, the easiest is to find some forumite running 3 SCOPE PCI cards in a z97/socket 1150 machine successfully.

I´m unsure if z97 / socket 1150 provides REAL PCI support at all or if it´s PCI-to-PCIe bridge already.
It might depend on mobo brand/model but also can be a general chipset "feature".

All I know is, z97 is still limited to 16 PCIe lanes, but I dunno if that matters when using 3 SCOPE PCI cards in such machine, especially when there is also a hungry PCIe x16 graphics card existing.
I also guess in such machines, PCI slots share IRQ w/ all kind of "s##t",- like PCIe x1, x4, x8 and x16 slots,- M.2 slot(s) if existing already and a ton of USB controllers,- but also IDE and SATA-3 controllers, add. SATA Raid controllers etc..
It also depends on if the manufacturer cluttered the mobo w/ features,- 3rd party chips providing as many hardware I/O ports as possible.

What Marco describes, to me looks like a hardware-bandwidth issue.

:)

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31345

i doubt if it's the bios.

z97 works great, as well as any motherboard ever has.

what is in the routing window?
what else is running on the computer?

how many masterverbs in a completely empty project before PCI overflow? this is the most accurate test.
is one of the cards first generation? if so, this will greatly reduce PCI performance.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Thank you very much for the support. There isnt very much Hardware added in my System to keep it as easy as possible. I have these pci Performance problems for a long time now (ever since) that's why I got tired of scope. Only after reducing the Audio connections to the DAW let the pci Overflow hide away, but makes me unsatisfied because the whole idea of recording System gets senseless.

I have the very positive recommended asus z97 Board. Graphicscard Onboard used. 32 GB of RAM and win 10. Scope 7.

Maybe next is the idea to use only one card, and see what happens.

I have reduced my project to 24 mixer and that's it.
I used before 1 reverb, some 3 Master compressor with a switch for comparisions. A very special complicated Routing with the old A16 Adat for each of the 3 dsp cards. 3x15 dsp cards and 3 A16. I SOLD all my Behringer A8000 because they succed because of sync problems and replaced them successful with the old A16 Creamwares Blue Audiobahn. These converters sound really good.
Ich have successfuly integrated the not for sync spdif with Behringers Src2496. This beautiful device is a digital amphibious, and so I have integrated these 2 spdif connections too. I wanted to avoid a masterclock generator. The third card has a aes ebu version and there is a digitech VTP tube preamp or sometimes a tc Electronic goldchannel connected.

This all make in summary 60 IOs with scope.
A Hardwarelovers dream. Sometimes I replace 1 Adat input with my old beloved Yamaha 02r, mixing with hardware, sliders and knobs and 19" FX rig. 8 Busses go via adat into scope....

I try to rebuild All from the beginning, to see when the problem rise.

The analysis will take time, because the Problem occurs not always, but always at a critical moment. But I am Patient, because I love the power of scope.

Yes I could sell All an buy an xite. But there are no 60 IOs aviable and I hate selling anything.
Last edited by Marco on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
garyb

Post by garyb »

is one of the cards a 1st generation card?

how many masterverbs can be loaded in an EMPTY project before PCI overflow?

i doubt rebuilding will be the solution.
i doubt one card will solve anything, unless one of the cards is first generation and you start with a second generation card.

if the problem is intermittent, it's likely to be because of a graphics issue or a network adapter, maybe...
Marco

Post by Marco »

Hi good morning Gary. All cards are 2. Generation.

I never made the masterreverb test, but I will do this for testing and clear fast crack of the pci bottleneck.

Grafikcard is Onboard and by Intel, and the Network Adapter Onboard.

I Start from the beginning, Smallest setup.
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

Marco wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:48 pm Maybe next is the idea to use only one card, and see what happens.
it will remain the same problem...

it should not be unnecessarily buffered, which affects throughput. sometimes lower values are better than high ones,
is a paradox, but has helped me and my 6 cards more often.
for testing check also reduse bit+kHz,
i think 60 I/O pci is to fat :(

...ok, i've been working a lot with the Xite "asio-master" since 2010,
and pci-systems (sc, rme and more) as wc sub-slave`s (with or without asio<>native),
for me a fantastic workflow, and so wonderfully modular flexible!
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
Marco

Post by Marco »

:D ok Spielraum, good idea. I have tested today. And the pci Bus was Overflowed again:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApPWzfjyiAbwlGqeS2vZyds7jvgv

Here is the testsong I made.
Mixing wasnt any Problem.

I used Neutron, model D, minilogue Korg, tx802 Yamaha and Korg Prophecy, all connected to one A16 Creamwares Audiobahn the Blue Box. I connected only one of these boxes.

It was a Midi playback mixed and old school I made this afternoon, a fast shot of a spontanous idea.

Usually I record each Midi device separately as an Audio file to recreate it exactly, no matter if 50 years will have past and all the Hardware and myself will have died :D

All was live mixed and mastered with scopes Stock Plugins V7.

Picture coming.
Last edited by Marco on Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Scope 7 Windows. Minimal configuration.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Marco

Post by Marco »

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApPWzfjyiAbwlB0v30IbWQUns1z8

Bass guitar Was recorded with Behringer Vamp and a washburn 6 string Bass all played and recorded by myself.
Last edited by Marco on Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marco

Post by Marco »

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApPWzfjyiAbwlCGAHN0L33Q2ctKx

This piece of music Was recorded with my washburn bass and tx802 = DX7ii.
Marco

Post by Marco »

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApPWzfjyiAbwlBy1UZen_x__ReXt

This piece of music Was recorded with Behringer Vamp and a fernandes 5 string Bass....and Keyscape
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Marco wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:50 am
Here is the testsong I made.
Mixing wasnt any Problem.
All was live mixed and mastered with scopes Stock Plugins V7.
And w/ this recording we shall investigate your "issue" w/ SCOPE ? Yes ?

What went wrong (?),- except ... well ... I won´ t discuss the "german bass" based "test" ... :D

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Marco wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:52 am Scope 7 Windows. Minimal configuration.
Nice ... looks normal,- no ?

Now make screenshots (using the "print" button on your keyboard) from projects crapping out your system.

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

how many masterverbs in an empty project?

nothing else matters at this point. either your computer is working correctly, or it isn't.

how do you know you don't have any 1st gen cards?

adding what caused the PCI overflow? i regularly mix or record many more ASIO channels, so...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Marco wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:53 am :lol: some more pictures
O.T.:
What´s the 3HU rack case for B.Model D,- and what for are the connectors to the left and the LEDs to the right of B.Model D ?

Bud
Marco

Post by Marco »

My oldest card is anno 2000 29.09. I hope this is version 2
I have connected 8 asio Outputs and it works :)
I added 10, it didn't work :-?
I still have to make the masterreverb test yet. Will do now.

The added connections in model d's Rack are multipiers and a little waveshaper device, but in reality they only fill the gap at the moment because the Model D was ripped out of the modular System to make the test. This test configuration was built up in my livingroom, so my wife can see and hear me :P while she cook clean or caress the cat or me.

I only added some music because I have never done before. So be amused.
Marco

Post by Marco »

I took 2 Cards out and the 2002 Version left in, the Card works correct now! Hurra I found a Problem. Now I can search.
Gary! Are all Cards Version 2?

Ok ok I make the masterreverb test.....takes a little bit time