PCI Overflow Problem

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

nebelfuerst

Re: PCI Overflow Problem

Post by nebelfuerst »

I just did similar tests on two systems with exactly the same cpu/mainboard ( P7P55D)

Win7/32:
Clear projekt, Scope7 PCI ( Pulsar2+scope14) = 4 Masterverbs !
Project with some mixer, Asio, adat = 7 Masterverbs

WinXP
Clear projekt, Scope 5.1 ( scope14+pulsar2) = 9 Masterverbs

Like i wrote above, I see some need for system environment tests.
Masterverb-tests seems to be dependend on some unknown parameters beside the pci-performance.

The Win7-system runs ULLI at 7ms, while the XP-system runs 3ms .. strange ?
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
Marco

Post by Marco »

:o XP! Old System vs Win10.
Interesting! When scope Was developed win XP was actual Windows, but when scope 7 was made, win 10 was actual. I hope my System works, now I make several Tests...... I tell you.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Marco

Post by Marco »

Hallo guys, I made a few Tests, and tomorrow I will make a production. Lets see what I can rip off with the scope Environment!

I am so happy, the Performance is good I think so. :D :D :D
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
valis

Post by valis »

If adding inputs helps, it may be that you had the CPU clocking down a lot with such a simple project load (in the Cubase side). Lower CPU power state = less time spent communicating with peripherals.

Repeat the same masterverb test with an artificial load in Cubase: just play a ton of stuff in romplers, stack on the plugin load to the inserts & sends, and send it to 1 fader that you reduce down to something you can tolerate to hear. Try to get the project load over at least 50% CPU usage.

Then repeat the masterverb test with no CPU load in Cubase. If the project with the CPU load has more masterverbs, then you need to tweak your CPU's power settings. You can do this directly in Windows now, aside from disabling C1e, simply by setting a power profile before you work. I have a pair of shortcuts I use to do this.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the masterverb test is really just a practical measure of PCI performance. that is why an empty project is used. 7 should be plenty. no doubt that other things you do will affect that, and of course, it's interesting...Cubase shouldn't be involved for the diagnosis. basically, if the hardware works, one SHOULD get reasonable results. there are always limitations. hopefully, the limitations are within practical ranges.

things like DPC can help to tune a working system, but the system needs to work at the simplest level first.

Marco, i sure hope you're still getting happy results.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:43 am
While it is using an interrupt, the main takeaway is that the GPIO controller device allows modern hardware to talk to legacy ports & devices (on a motherboard, typically) that are much more fixed in addressing than the PCI & PCIe devices are.

As for IRQ sharing I agree somewhat, however let me clarify that in a moment in a separate post, as it may help others over time beyond this discussion thread alone. The main point however is that a shared IRQ on a modern system (anything past Core2 for certain) doesn't mean what it did when our Scope cards debuted. While they haven't changed in their PCI bus implementation, the way that bus is addressed and mapped to IRQs has changed vastly, and this means many devices can 'share an irq' with no issue, even with Scope, imho. That's because the controller chips that are talking to them virtualize the whole address range and interrupt stack anyway, so what 'looks' like IRQ 16 for the same devices is not that at all when looking at the addressing on a lower level per device. It's literally just an address exposed when the 'what IRQs are in use' query is made from the software side.

I'll break that down in that other post, so let's branch the IRQ related specifics off this off to this thread: IRQ sharing, the PCI bus, ACPI/APIC addressing and your Scope cards
Cool stuff man, thx a lot !
Great there´s a "sticky" now !

:)

best

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:43 am
I'll break that down in that other post, so let's branch the IRQ related specifics off this off to this thread: IRQ sharing, the PCI bus, ACPI/APIC addressing and your Scope cards
Does that rule also for SCOPE XITE using PCIe or the PCI cards only ?

:)

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure it does.
Marco

Post by Marco »

The Testing result!!! Here comes a nice testsong made with all the Hightech, mixed up analog synths, digital synths, vsts and scope synths, mixed in scope and cubase too.

this is the song: ( NEW LINK! )
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApPWzfjyiAbwlUE54dR ... q?e=Ow1xCk
garyb

Post by garyb »

great!
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Nice song, Marco. :D
Don't forget to backup your windows and make fotos of all bios settings.
This will help diagnosing in case some trouble comes back.
BTW: I had to swap my Adat cables with more expensive ones. The cheap ones seem to slightly loose connection, which gave crackkes.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
Marco

Post by Marco »

ADAT cables are not so critical. I had the same Problem with crackles. At the end I disposit All Behringer AD8000 for Creamware A16, old Blue boxes working fine. Syncronization Was impossible . But before I have wasted money for New Adat cables for nothing. Now I have a whole bunch of Adat cables laying around here All working perfect.
haba

Post by haba »

Beautiful Marco! Nice Motive and very fluid (flüssig) impro!!!
valis

Post by valis »

So, did we achieve success?
Marco

Post by Marco »

:D Yeah Let's Party!
BTW if you need a guitar player for your next Song, just ask me.
valis

Post by valis »

:) :D
asiofixer

Post by asiofixer »

DISABLE ALL PERIPHERAL/IRQ THAT WINDOWS SHARED WITH THE PCI/PCI EXPRESS BUS OF YOUR SONICCORE CARD ! AND SEE !
Attachments
IRQ.png
IRQ.png (232.94 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
valis

Post by valis »

asiofixer, everything shares IRQs now, it's all virtualized and there's no actual PCI controller anymore, even that is software. Please chill on the posting, we appreciate that you're back but GaryB has my permission and license to put you on ice again if this persists.
garyb

Post by garyb »

he is chilling on ice.
you did not see the other 4 posts that were deleted.
valis

Post by valis »

Good man.