How to save midiCC after assigning an device or module ?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

glowingfish

Post by glowingfish »

Assigning is a piece of cake as we all know ! but how to save the assigned midiCC's ? When I save the whole project and load it again the knobs are still assigned to my midi controller. When I saved it to a preset and remove the device and load it again, load the preset.. the assigning is gone.

I've read some posts on the topic and people are talking about saving in 'midi controller' map ? When I look in the preset list on the right site under the pic of the device there is a button with 'midi remote' but nothing is there ! With the presets tab all the presets are there.

How do you save the midi CC if it is not saved with a preset (strange btw)

I'm missing something :-(

It would be nice that you can load a device/module in a new project and that the assigned midi CC's are also set. Would be stupid to assign them everytime or save and load a whole project for one device/module.

Thank you and regards Aart from a snowy Netherlands
dawman

Re: How to save midiCC after assigning an device or module ?

Post by dawman »

Here's what I do.
I use hardware controllers so I don't need presets.
However, I recently started saving snapshots of the project window, which quite possibly might recall all MIDI settings as well/
It only works on MIDI Channel #1 but is a great device and quite unique.

I like it because I can change routing on my MIDI Filters and re route external hardware, etc. but use it zero out my mixer, on all AUXs, EQs Channels,Master, etc.
then when I change presets or scenes on my controller only the parameters I want to control are affected.

Try it out and see as I don't have time, but it might be very useful.

PRJ Preset list.zip
(38.77 KiB) Downloaded 892 times
glowingfish

Post by glowingfish »

Thank you very much Dawman !

This is a most welcome module ! I also use hardware controllers but I thought that saving a preset also save to midicc data of that device/module and when you load that device/module and load the preset all the midicc on every controller is set again.

I don't fully understand yet how your module works but I will figure it out and if not... I will ask some questions.

Thank you for your time and effort and happy man over here ;-)

Cheers Aart
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

I believe midi cc not saving in presets is a known bug with as yet no fix other than the work around using that module Dawman posted, or saving a project itself also saves presets I think. Hopefully this will be addressed in an OS update but it's been around for a while now, so like many other bugs one has to use the workarounds available. Glad that module works though. :)
petal

Post by petal »

You are able to save cc-presets in the "CC-midi"-folder in the preset-folder. But there is a bug in the system (long explanation) and some devices (fx all main Creamware/Sonic/Core-developed synths) will not function correctly and maybe sound different upon reloading a preset.

Saving a project also saves cc-assignments, but it will reload with the same bug/bugs as mentioned above.

The devices or the specific parameters that you are trying to save cc-presets/assignments in, might not be affected by the bug, so it might work in your specific case. The best thing you can do is to try it out (but save everything, before you start the cc-assignment) and test if everything still sounds and works as before you started to assign CC's, saved, closed and reloaded the device/project.

Holger is aware of the bug. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update.
Last edited by petal on Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Sorry for my incorrect info there and thanks for clearing up my errors Petal :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

SirAudioLabs SAL made the device for snapshots.
I’ll try that MIDI CC Save today and post back.
If it works for MIDI CC that would be nice.
Each preset could be assigned a hardware controller, etc.

It’s nice this can turn Scope into a MIDI Router and recall scenes.
If it ends up that all it does it’s still invaluable.
glowingfish

Post by glowingfish »

Thanks for all the info and it is correct that when you save into the 'midi controller' map in the preset dir of that device/module, you save the CC assignment. Now when I load a device and go to the preset map and go into the midi controller map and click on the saved preset then all midi cc's are assigned again. Then I can load every preset I want and the midiCC's are still assigned. Works great for me and don't have to save a whole project to save the midiCC assignment.

The only thing is that when you start a new project, load a device/module, you have to click on the midiCC preset first in the midi controller map... but that is a piece of cake I think ;-)

Indeed I also noticed some bugs when reloading the midiCC midicontroller preset. Some knobs are not assigned anymore. For instance in the Inferno synth, the Tune and the lfo/manual (knob) paramters are not active anymore after loading the midiCC preset. Re-assigned them, stored over the excisting preset and no luck.... I guess a bug.

Hopefully it will be solved in the future.

Maybe is is no issue anymore with the new Scope 7 ? Iam still using 6 and works great for me so far (so good)

Cheers Aart
petal

Post by petal »

Unfortunately it is still a bug in Scope 7.

Also, the bug isn't "just" a few knobs not being assigned anymore. Some of the affected knobs/variables stops working correctly and also changes the values, thus some of these buggy knobs might affect your "reloaded" sound and cause it to sound different without you being able to change it back.

It is a sneaky bastard of a bug and it is over 10 years old, going back to the first versions of Scope, where it was first discovered by users, but never corrected by either Creamware or Sonic Core. In effect the whole idea about "total recall" in Scope is bugged, when it comes to cc-assignment/automation, which is a shame. I really hope that Holger succeeds in fixing it in the next version of Scope!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

glowingfish wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:15 am Thanks for all the info and it is correct that when you save into the 'midi controller' map in the preset dir of that device/module, you save the CC assignment. Now when I load a device and go to the preset map and go into the midi controller map and click on the saved preset then all midi cc's are assigned again. Then I can load every preset I want and the midiCC's are still assigned. Works great for me and don't have to save a whole project to save the midiCC assignment.
I dunno why, but that saving method never worked for me and the next day when I launched SCOPE and loaded devices, the MIDI assignments were gone except those which are permanent for a given device because they were set in stone w/ SDK already when the device was developed.
glowingfish wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:15 am The only thing is that when you start a new project, load a device/module, you have to click on the midiCC preset first in the midi controller map... but that is a piece of cake I think ;-)
see above ... what I´m doing wrong ?
What do you mean w/ "save into the MIDI controller map" ?
Do you mean the MIDI CC preset-file inside the presets folder ?
I tried for several times saving my MIDI CC assignments for a given device into that file, but it never worked as expected, at least for me.
glowingfish wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:15 am Indeed I also noticed some bugs when reloading the midiCC midicontroller preset. Some knobs are not assigned anymore. For instance in the Inferno synth, the Tune and the lfo/manual (knob) paramters are not active anymore after loading the midiCC preset. Re-assigned them, stored over the excisting preset and no luck.... I guess a bug.
Well, that´s almost identical behaviour I experienced myself.
glowingfish wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:15 am Hopefully it will be solved in the future.
The behaviour should have been changed:

1.)
When MIDI assignments for a device are global,- like they actually are and were:

Once you bring in a device into a project, it should load the latest MIDI CC assignments file automatic,- and when you remove the device from project and made some changes to the MIDI CC assignment for that device before you remove it,- the MIDI CC file should be automaticly overwritten/ auto-saved.

or:

2.)
Make MIDI assignments storable w/ every device´s single presets,- means: Save ´em automatic w/ every preset you save for a given device,- so you can use different MIDI CC assignments w/ every preset (synth´s-, fx-device´s patch).
(Probably doesn´t make much sense for mixers though)

And when you save the project, every MIDI assignment for every device still existing in that project should be autosaved w/ that project in addition,- so once you load that project again, the project loading all the devices, all the MIDI CCassigments should be autoloaded too.
glowingfish wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:15 am Maybe is is no issue anymore with the new Scope 7 ? Iam still using 6 and works great for me so far (so good)
Are you sure you´re using SCOPE v6 ? :D

I use(d) SCOPE v5.1 (32Bit) w/ XITE-1 on a Windows XP 32Bit machine

:)

Bud
glowingfish

Post by glowingfish »

Hi Bud,

Aaaach ! ofcourse 5.1 (stupid) Also still working with XP 32 bit because I use 8 Emagic Unitors8 in cascade and there is no driver for Windows 7 but no problem. I tuned XP to the bone and it is stable (but it is still Windows :-(

About your problem with saving to the midi controller preset map. I could also not get it to work in the beginning. When you click on the midi controller map it is empty and how do you save your preset ? I selected the STORE button and then I could input a preset name and it saved the midiCC settings of that device. Then I saved the whole preset (save as) and everytime I load a device/module first I select the preset in the midi controller map and then all the midiCC parameters are active and working with my midi controller (Novation remote 37SL and also have 2 BCR2000's) Then I can choose all the presets in the patch(sounds) preset map(s) and all works well with the midiCC also.

I will check out when I saved a custom preset, reload the device/module if parameters settings are changed of that preset like other users mentioned.

I will also save the whole project, load it again and see if parameters are changed in the custom preset(s) so the sound is changed. I guess it will because I've read on several topics that it is a bug.

Like I mentioned before not all midiCC parameter settings of a device/module are saved when I load the midi controller preset again. I guess that is also a bug but I van live with that.

Hope this helps and let me know if you get it working ;-)

Cheers Aart
glowingfish

Post by glowingfish »

Ooh and you ofcourse you van rightclick on a device/module on the right and choose under 'midi' the 'midi controller' preset you've saved, that works much faster.

Cheers Aart
dawman

Post by dawman »

I don’t use this method since my hardware and project are always the same somits neve been a big deal for me.
But didn’t somebody once say that the very first item inside of the preset folder gets loaded and by putting a “minus” in front of the MIDI CC Preset?
I’m probably wrong but your preset list would then look like this

0 -MIDI CCs
1 001
2 002

etc.

So did anyone try the Module above?
I just made 60 mixes where each fader and knob on the SM2448 has an assignment.
It works really well but I don’t even save MIDI CCs except for the STM 2448.
Project Preset List is snapshot only.

I’ll see if I can get the PRJ to recall different MIDI CCs per preset.
If so that would solve this issue.

Sorry I didn’t try this, I was busy re doing effects levers and mixes.
Today I’ve got some time.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Thx Aart and DAWman !

I collect all the info and will dive into the issue later again.

:)

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Keep in mind the PRJ Device sees every parameter, even in MIDI Filters.
It’s there a single preset change can re configure your MIDI even with more efficiency than a hardware MIDI Router.
When you save a preset, remember this needs MIDI Channel #1.
I just got done yelling mutha fucker for a half hour, before realizing I had MIDI Channel #1 shut off, then yelled at my PC for another half hour before realizing in the MIDI FIlter, Prgm chng messages were shut off.

Human error is usually what’s wrong.