CompressorX

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Lotuz

Post by Lotuz »

I want a compressor to compress the incoming audio for recording instead of compressing the recorded audio afterwards. How do you like Sonic Timeworks' CompressorX? Is it really that good as they tell on their site? Does it come with presets for vocals, drums, etcetera? Is it better than the Pulsar II compressor? And where can I find presets for the Pulsar II compressor?

Post by Guest »

Subject: what do you want to succeed?

hi,
so first you have to think about why you want to compress before recording?
a) the normal reason should be, that you don´t want to overdrive the recordingmachine! BUT: if you don´t want you have to compress before getting into the pulsarcard, because the adda-section is as sensitive like your hd-recording!
b) you can make sense by compressing signals before recording with a low rate like 2:1 or 3:1 and a less reduction like 3 to 6db in the peaks! then you get more headroom in your recording machine, that´s fine....
BUT: if you´re compressing after you got into the computer it makes no real difference if you do it before you´re recording or after the recording!

so, greetings

t.
Lotuz

Post by Lotuz »

Subject: Makes sense

"so first you have to think about why you want to compress before recording?
a) the normal reason should be, that you don´t want to overdrive the recordingmachine! BUT: if you don´t want you have to compress before getting into the pulsarcard, because the adda-section is as sensitive like your hd-recording!
b) you can make sense by compressing signals before recording with a low rate like 2:1 or 3:1 and a less reduction like 3 to 6db in the peaks! then you get more headroom in your recording machine, that´s fine....
BUT: if you´re compressing after you got into the computer it makes no real difference if you do it before you´re recording or after the recording!"

Re: This makes sense. I want to record into Cubase VST without having to worry about clipping, meaning I want to reduce the peaks. This can be done by putting a compressor between the Pulsar Analog Source and ASIO Dest. But I see now that when you do this you won’t get digital distortion caused by too loud recording in Cubase VST, but it’s still possible that you get distortion from sending too loud signals into the Pulsar II inputs. So this means it’s better to use a hardware compressor to compress the signals before they enter the Pulsar II and Cubase VST. I didn’t thought about this when I posted my topic, so thanks for the information! :)